Input on Seatbelt Fit

cmm7

S has reached the point of having NO extra room for growth in the Turbo and her ears are past my seat when it is backless. As long as she doesn't grow she can continue to use the Turbo. If she does do you think it is a safe fit for her in the seatbelt? It seems as though it is to me, but this is with the little clips found in my car so I don't know if that should make me more hesitant?

full.jpg

lap.jpg

shoulder.jpg

Oh, and I did put Z in the MA as you can tell from the background. She named it her owl seat (since it is gray and white. I never thought of this but she is right) and loves the HUGS. She got a kick out of them being called that and kept hugging them. It was adorable. She is only on the 2nd to top slots and says she likes this seat better since the straps don't rub her neck (in the CarGo they come from 2" above her shoulders and which makes them rub).

ADS

BW1426

The seatbelt is sitting higher up on her than I would like to see. Hopefully her torso won't grow substantially and she can continue to use the Turbo for awhile longer.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I do prefer the lap belt be more on the lap than the hips, but if you can feel her bones under the belt, then she does pass -- her feet are flat on the floor, right? If not, then that's another reason to wait....

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not 100% comfortable with the fit of the lap portion either - it's not horrid, but not ideal either. The shoulder belt seems to fit her fine though.

Does anyone know what backless booster boosts kids up the least?

The Clek is pretty low profile isn't it? Not sure if it's shortest or not though.

scatterbunny

I just measured my Turbo bottom, from the floor up to the seating area. It sits about 4.5 inches high. The Clek Olli is angled, not perfectly flat, and it's about 4 inches high at the bum, about 5 inches high at the knee. I'm not sure if there's a backless that sits lower on the vehicle seat than that.

I'm also not thrilled with the fit of the lapbelt, and I know there's been talk of the lapbelt riding up too high in a crash on kids who do pass the 5 step test but who have not hit puberty yet, something about the hip bones not being developed enough to hold the lapbelt low in a crash. The armrests/lapbelt guides on boosters are supposed to act as hip bones, holding the lapbelt down where it should be. Julie--I think it was you who posted that information awhile back?

The Turbo is one of the shorter highback boosters, and if the backless puts her up too high for adequate head support, I would probably find a taller highback when she does fully outgrow the back on the Turbo. :twocents:

BW1426

How high up does the Canadian Oto go? It looks really slim to me.

Could you get a Monterey to fit three across? What else, besides the Frontier, would be tall enough?

scatterbunny

The Britax Parkway, Recaro Vivo, Recaro Start and Sunshine Kids Monterey are all taller than the Turbo. The Frontier, in booster mode, is, as well...but I wouldn't personally spend almost $300 on a combo seat to use it in booster mode. The Recaro Start can be found for $200, and people think that's too expensive for a booster. :p

I'd probably go with a Vivo or Monterey in this situation, though. Both are very tall (I think Monterey is taller). The Monterey becomes a backless, but I'm not sure how tall the seating portion of the Monterey is, so I can't say how it will work backless for the OP's dd (whether or not it would sit her up too high for adequate head support from the vehicle seat).

BW1426

The Britax Parkway, Recaro Vivo, Recaro Start and Sunshine Kids Monterey are all taller than the Turbo. The Frontier, in booster mode, is, as well...but I wouldn't personally spend almost $300 on a combo seat to use it in booster mode. The Recaro Start can be found for $200, and people think that's too expensive for a booster. :p

I'd probably go with a Vivo or Monterey in this situation, though. Both are very tall (I think Monterey is taller). The Monterey becomes a backless, but I'm not sure how tall the seating portion of the Monterey is, so I can't say how it will work backless for the OP's dd (whether or not it would sit her up too high for adequate head support from the vehicle seat).

I was just trying to come up with the cheapest route possible as the PP is the babysitter for these kids.

If the Parkway is taller, I think that would be a great option. I'm not sure as though the monterey would be doable for three across if that's a necessity.

scatterbunny

I was just trying to come up with the cheapest route possible as the PP is the babysitter for these kids.

If the Parkway is taller, I think that would be a great option. I'm not sure as though the monterey would be doable for three across if that's a necessity.

:eek: I didn't even look at the signature to see she's the sitter, not the mom, and that she might need to fit three-across. Thanks for catching that.

I agree, the Parkway is probably the best choice for a booster taller than the Turbo, that should fit three-across.

cmm7

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Next time I have her I will check out if the seatbelt is on her hips. It looks that way, but I will feel it. I am off to VT at the end of August, so I really want to avoid buying a seat to use for three weeks. Hopefully these last few growth spurts are it until then. She was a click down 2 weeks ago!

TerisBoys

IF you DO need a backless - the Cosco Ambassador is rather low profile and should 'boost' her less than her Turbo. It's also a good seat to puzzle 3-across. And it's inexpensive - my Big Lots has them for $12, most places sell it for $15-$20.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What's the law by you? By me it's 8 or 80, so she'd not be legal in just the seatbelt.

Wendy

cmm7

Here it is 8 or 4'9" and she is 4'8" so if she were to grow she would meet the height requirement by law.

I will look into the Cosco Ambassador, too.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC