Carseat in cottage

BW1426

So, we live in Northern Michigan and it gets pretty darn cold in the winter. One of the families I work for keeps a spare carseat at the cottage. Is the extreme cold something we need to worry about? It sits in the garage from Sept to June every year. Another concern is mice and while they never ate the crummy combination seat, I'm just sure the sight of the new radian will tempt them :rolleyes:

Would you leave it in the garage or cottage (neither heated and both have pretty equal issues with mice) or would you find alternative storage.

ADS

Mommy2Five

I'm pretty...(whats a nice word for obsessively protective) about my seats, so I would find alternate storage arrangements.

keri1292

I would put them in a storage tote to keep out the mice, but the temp wouldn't bother me. People keep carseats in their cars in Northern Michigan 365 days a year. ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, I wouldn't consider it ideal, but at my regional NHTSA conference (2007) I attended a workshop about crash testing & the speaker did say they have tested seats that were stored at freezing temps & still passed the requirements (until the standard expiration timeframe) -- this reminds me was supposed to send me details & never did ... not sure if I still have his card :confused:

Anyway, I'm more worried about extremely hot temps over a period of time.

TerisBoys

Is there a vehicle left at the cottage? Could the Radian be store in it's trunk?

I know - still not 100% mouse-proof, but a bit more protective than just sitting.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I too suggest a rubbermaid storage tote because of the mice. Though it is true people have carseats in thier car 365 days out of the year, they also probably have heat in thier cars. So the car seat gets some heat. I would carfully inspect it before using it after it has been in the cottage for the winter.

crunchierthanthou

Though it is true people have carseats in thier car 365 days out of the year, they also probably have heat in thier cars. So the car seat gets some heat.

but wouldn't the fluctuation actually be worse for it? I mean, storing it below freezing is one thing, but going from super cold to 70+ and back on a regular basis (possibly several times a day) seems like it would be harder on it.

The storage temperature doesn't bother me, but I would take extra precautions to protect it from mice.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
but wouldn't the fluctuation actually be worse for it? I mean, storing it below freezing is one thing, but going from super cold to 70+ and back on a regular basis (possibly several times a day) seems like it would be harder on it.

The storage temperature doesn't bother me, but I would take extra precautions to protect it from mice.

I honestly do not know for sure. Believe it or not it does get below freezing here and I don't feel that keeping my carseat in the car overnight or sometimes 2 or 3 days at these temps before starting it and getting heat to the car seat makes it worse off.

I just think if a car seat is stored for months at below freezing temps you *could* risk the seat cracking. I know that last winter there were a couple of posters in the Canadian forum that had thier Radians crack.

Since I am not an engineer I cannot say for certain what would happen. This is just my take.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They freeze and bake and re-crash-test Britaxes at their factory's testing lab... not sure about other brands...

crunchierthanthou

I really don't think extreme temperatures- hot, cold or even major fluctuations will cause catastrophic failure within the expiration period. I was just saying that storing at a somewhat consistant cold temperature is likely no worse than regular use through a harsh summer or winter.

I don't know about Radians cracking in relation to cold temps. I'll have to go do some searching to learn more about that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC