Blvd got stuck FF on plane.. WDYD?

mykidsmylife

So I forgot to ask with this whole move, losing baby and soo much other crap going on...

On the flight to NC I put Seth FF. Well the seatbelt got stuck and it took me another mom and 3 flight attendents to get it out. They ended up taking the plane seat apart just to get the BLVD out.
The buckle wouldnt open all the way b/c of the harness plate on the back of the Blvd. In the process my head foam and the foam by the harness got ripped.
Britax said it was fine to take the plate off since when we fly to Germany he will also be FF on the plane.

I cant be the only person who has run into this issue. We were flying Delta and the seatbelt latches right in the center...

So has anyone else delt with this???? We are flying United to Germany so I am hoping their belts latch on the side. LOL.

Thanks a lot.

ADS

mamabear

With my MA, I always flip the seatbelt buckle (the part you pull up to unbuckle the seatbelt) upside down (so, in other words, twist the seatbelt over once ) so that I can reach my hand in and unbuckle it easier.

Hope that makes sense:eek:

NVMBR02

You can also ask for a seabelt extender. The you shorten one side and use the extended. Unhook the extender when you go to take the seat out (it will be on the side)
Doe sthat make sense? I know someone explained it better on here, and I followed the advice when I flew with our Marathon.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At 21 months and 22 pounds I'd put him rear facing. It'd be more comfortable for his legs and MUCH easier. We traveled with Piper's Wizard forward facing only a few times because it was such a PITA to uninstall. We had to have the pilot and copilot come back once or twice. I learned how to remove the seatbelt from the plane. Pretty easy, scarily enough. So as long as she could we used the Wizard rear facing. When we got a Radian for her she started riding forward facing because it's just so much easier.

But if forward facing will happen, definitely get a seatbelt extender. Shorten the belt that is on the plane all the way, attach the extender, and then buckle that into the other side of the belt on the outside of the beltpath.

Wendy

raelynn

Senior Community Member
My MA got stuck on the plane (United flight), the buckle got caught on the bar (you know how you lift up on the buckle to unbuckle the seatbelt? the bar got caught in the buckle). I had to kneel in the MA, and wiggle and pull the seatbelt to get it off the bar. So not as bad as what happened with your Blvd, but definitely a total PITA!

mykidsmylife

Thanks I will ask for one when we fly...

We decided to put him FF b/c of the DVD players. The flight will be a total of 10.5 hours. We can also switch the seat to RF if needed. But we gotta think of how to make this trip as easy as possible and he loves being FF. LOL.

I know not that safe but he wont be in the car seat the entire 10.5 hour flight either...

BUT he will still be rf in the car for another 1.5 years....

mykidsmylife

My MA got stuck on the plane (United flight), the buckle got caught on the bar (you know how you lift up on the buckle to unbuckle the seatbelt? the bar got caught in the buckle). I had to kneel in the MA, and wiggle and pull the seatbelt to get it off the bar. So not as bad as what happened with your Blvd, but definitely a total PITA!

Yeah not even that worked with the BLVD. LOL. We had two males trying to get it out that way. They said they never encountered a car seat like this one. I told them they probably rarley encounter a car seat freak like me with a $300 car seat. LOL.

scootiemom

Just ask for a seat belt extender as you board the plane. It makes it so much easier when you go to un-install it. When the actual seatbelt is tightened down the buckle will be to the side of the seat and the extender's buckle will be behind the seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks I will ask for one when we fly...

We decided to put him FF b/c of the DVD players. The flight will be a total of 10.5 hours. We can also switch the seat to RF if needed. But we gotta think of how to make this trip as easy as possible and he loves being FF. LOL.

I know not that safe but he wont be in the car seat the entire 10.5 hour flight either...

BUT he will still be rf in the car for another 1.5 years....

Do you have a portable DVD player? If so I'd probably make a point to put him RFing. The tray is unusable, and the DVD player could sit in his lap and you wouldn't have to worry about it falling.

If you're talking about the plane's TV screens, then I can understand. Hopefully he'll want to sleep and you can turn him around while he sleeps. The easiest of all worlds!!!

Wendy

mykidsmylife

Do you have a portable DVD player? If so I'd probably make a point to put him RFing. The tray is unusable, and the DVD player could sit in his lap and you wouldn't have to worry about it falling.

If you're talking about the plane's TV screens, then I can understand. Hopefully he'll want to sleep and you can turn him around while he sleeps. The easiest of all worlds!!!

Wendy

We are still waiting on our gift card to get new DVD players but Target keeps screwing things up. SOOOO we wont have our own DVD players until we get to Germany. I am so annoyed b/c that means a 6hr drive to baltimore with no DVD players. The 14 hrs drive w/o them to Ma was a living HELL!!!

They will use the ones on the plane. He will probably fall asleep nursing. LOL. So yeah I will most likely flip his seat. We will also be flying late into the night so the last part of the flight he will most likely be rf ...

Melanie

fyi: it's not just Britax seats that have this problem. DD's seat got stuck on a Southwest plane. It was about 10 years ago with a Graco seat.

Kat_Momof3

in regards to him being ff... plane safety is totally different from car safety, and the point of the carseat is more to keep him SECURED in the event of turbulance or a crash, rather than to protect him from another vehicle plowing into the vehicle he's in.

So, the risks just from being ff are much lower. I don't have a problem with a kid who meets the ff requirements being ff in the plane and then rf in the car when they get there.

I agree that a belt extender would fix this problem.

liz2d2

Just ask for a seat belt extender as you board the plane. It makes it so much easier when you go to un-install it. When the actual seatbelt is tightened down the buckle will be to the side of the seat and the extender's buckle will be behind the seat.

I ran into this problem too. Delta maintenance had to come onto the plane and cut the seatbelt off!

The belt extender trick works but on my last flight, a crotchety flight attendant told me that I wasn't allowed to use one with a carseat so he refused to give me one! Has anyone heard of this?

mamabear

The belt extender trick works but on my last flight, a crotchety flight attendant told me that I wasn't allowed to use one with a carseat so he refused to give me one! Has anyone heard of this?

If this happens again just try flipping the seatbelt upside down, so the buckle is facing the seat bottom. It will be easier to reach in and flip forward to unbuckle.

Unfortunately flight attendants can be very busy at boarding time, and may not act like they can accomodate you.

scootiemom

Shhh, I kept the belt extenders on my last flight. :whistle: I wanted to have them just in case I ever ran into a situation like I had on a different flight when the FAs said they couldn't give the extenders to me because they needed them for the safety demonstration. Umm, by then I had already installed the seats. Thanks a lot.

cryswilkins

I just want to comment on the DVD player thing....

We drive up North 10 hours a few times a year with DD and we have NEVER had a DVD player. We sing songs, I bring new toys she has never seen, color wonder markers, stickers, colorforms, etc. Sometimes I have to sit back there with her, but its always been a fine trip. Any trip with kids there is going be some whining and crying. I think that your little guys will do fine.:twocents:

scootiemom

Well then, the way I look at it, since I was charged $50 for being 3 pounds over on the single bag I checked when I could have had 3 bags at 50 pounds, we're even. I bought 3 seats, had 2 kids, 2 carseats and could NOT manage 2 or 3 checked bags. I couldn't have taken anything out of my checked bag to make it weigh less as my single carry on was already packed full with snack, drinks and activities for the kids. Some leniency by the those at the airline counters in certain situations would be helpful.

mamabear

Well then, the way I look at it, since I was charged $50 for being 3 pounds over on the single bag I checked when I could have had 3 bags at 50 pounds, we're even. I bought 3 seats, had 2 kids, 2 carseats and could NOT manage 2 or 3 checked bags. I couldn't have taken anything out of my checked bag to make it weigh less as my single carry on was already packed full with snack, drinks and activities for the kids. Some leniency by the those at the airline counters in certain situations would be helpful.

Sorry, it's still stealing. You could have given it back after the flight. As I stated above a seatbelt extender is not necessary to install your carseat. If you ask for one and they have one to lend, great, if not you have to do without. It is not your right.
Most airlines now charge for checked bags at any weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC