Transporting booster seat by air

kattale

I am travelling via Air Canada within Canada in the next week.

I would like to transport my two CLEK booster seats for my daughters to use in cars and taxis when I reach British Columbia. The dimensions of the CLEK are small (5" X 16" X 14.5"). This seems to exceed the "one personal article" by 1.4 inches, but fits the "one standard article" size (so we know they will fit in the compartments). http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/carry-on.html

We don't want to check the booster seats (for impact prevention) and we don't want to check our clothing - we're travelling for just 4 days, and have a tight transfer in Vancouver, so we'd like to just bring carry-ons and not bother with checked luggage at all. I was planning to pack the 4 days of clothes in the girl's school backpacks - which again fit the "standard item" measurements but not the "personal item" measurements.

Does anyone know what will happen at check-in if we try to bring the seats? If our seats are an inch too big, will they confiscate them or boot us from the flight? Or send us back to check either the seats or our clothes? Will they even measure them at all?

What would you guys do? Pack less clothes (basically one purse's worth for each kid) or pack their backpacks and hope the seats get on? Do they sit there with a measuring tape for every carry-on?

(Yes I know I can't use the seats on the plane. I've considered the options and am okay with just seatbelts for the girls, they are very long and tall - I've moved on to keeping them safe and legal once we're on the ground again in BC.)

Thanks for any suggestions - good news or bad!
Kat

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Chances are that AC won't hassle you on the issue--but just incase, be prepared to gate check two of your backpacks in order to carry the seats on to the plane...so put everything you'll need while on the plane in one primary carry-on. The Clek does fit in the footspace under seats, so they shouldn't hassle you about the size.

-Nicole.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I agree with Nicole re. be prepared to gate-check the backpacks so you can bring the boosters on board.

Alternatively, get everyone a rolling carry-on suitcase (std size) and put the boosters in two suitcases, and the rest of clothings and essentials in those as well. Pack the backpacks with less (only things that they need on the plane), so it would be squished down as their personal size carry-on.

As for how they determine what carry-on would be allowed... There is a metal frame of the personal and standard size carry-on. If there is an issue, you would be ask to insert your carry-on into this measuring frame. If it fits, then you are okay to bring it on board. If it does not fit the frame, then no-go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC