Question TALL seat with SIP?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
One of my young friend's doctors actually recommended she be in a seat with "good head" protection. (Not sure what that means, but it does mean mom/dad are in the market for a new seat. :rolleyes:)

Here's the "minor" problems:
9 yrs. old, tall 52-53" w/long torso (19").
62-65 lbs.
SN: significant seizure disorder - frequent seizures/low tone

She's been using a Cosco HB (one piece, non adjustable) but is now too big. It seems to provide enough lat/side support to let her travel safely (she's done a "lean to the left/lean to the right" on short trips in my Turbo BB and I've thought about/mentioned the 86-Y harness).

Columbia / Roosevelt / Tomato. . .BUT I think she needs 'something' ASAP. What "regular" seats / boosters are tall w/"deep" sides (little brother is 6 and uses a backless booster - so he could potential use it as well)? What research would you share to encourage the SN seat vs. a booster?

ADS

BW1426

For a booster, hands down a Monterey. The Monterey really does a great job of surrounding the child and it's the highest booster on the market except for the Frontier.

Elitecarseats.com has them and they always have quick shipping. Walmart.com also has it and my Radian from there arrived in about a week.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Good to know.

Anyone have the "stats" on them: height / seat depth (we've got a LONG time before width is an issue :rolleyes:)?

Thanks for making the "research" easier. :p

rosey2007

Britax used to sell a special needs car seat, but I was not able to find it in their website. Maybe someone else can cue you in.

BW1426

I believe the Monterey will go up to 21.5". I'm not sure about the seat depth.

If he's been in a booster for this long, I'm not sure if a SN seat is necessary. The Monterey will surround her much better than the cosco booster did.

If they order from Walmart and it isn't a good fit, they can return it to the store for free.

ETA: Good thinking Scatterbunny, I forgot about the Start. The only thing would be that the Start requires a top tether, correct?

scatterbunny

Yes, the Start needs to be tethered. :thumbsup:

The Vivo adjusts very tall, and is the cheapest of the very deep-winged boosters I'd consider. The Monterey is the mid-priced one, and it is LATCHable (lower anchors only, no top tether). The Start is the most expensive, but also the most adjustable.

Kat_Momof3

if a booster, I vote Monterey... the wings would prevent the leaning and the seat is super deep.

BUt I'd love to see her get a Roosevelt!!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Britax used to sell a special needs car seat, but I was not able to find it in their website. Maybe someone else can cue you in.

It is the same size as the Regent, so I wouldn't bother.

if a booster, I vote Monterey... the wings would prevent the leaning and the seat is super deep.

BUt I'd love to see her get a Roosevelt!!

Here is Tyler in the Roosevelt. Tons of gron room. Tyler has about the same torso height.

MerrittRoosevelt8.jpg

Here he is in the Monterey.

SKMonterey4.jpg

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I left them (last night) with on the Monterey and suggested they contact the special needs fitting clinic (I think they have a Roosevelt & Tomato to at least try/see).

I'm leaning toward a 86-Y and/or a new booster because I don't see "us" being able to do this for more than 2 years - at the most AND because she's done well with the Cosco booster up to this time. I have difficulty getting her in/out of my Camry without clunking her head or other body part(s) because she is so long. :eek:.

Thanks for hint on the Recaro: another possiblity AND one that is < $100. Our "high end" baby store carries the Recaro harnessed seats, but I didn't see their boosters the last time I was in. Guess I have an excuse to stop in again :rolleyes:.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC