Is $219.99 w/ free ship a good price for...

ADS

indigoblossom

for me, i'd totally get pay more and get a new one. that will give you the most life out of their 6-year life span, kwim?

also, i know people really love the couture covers but they're not soft and plush like the velour covers, they are made from a cotton (or cotton blend) that isn't very durable and wears or tears with normal use. for that reason alone i wouldn't pay more for the seat just because it came with a couture cover. if you're really set on the cover, though, then it comes down to personal preference. i wouldn't pay that much for a seat that was almost two years old, though.

destinmamma

Ok, I'm confused about when people speak of the 6 year deal on the Britax's..I just got off the phone w/ Britax and they said all seats have a 1 year factory warranty from the date of purchase?

adbourgoin

Ok, I'm confused about when people speak of the 6 year deal on the Britax's..I just got off the phone w/ Britax and they said all seats have a 1 year factory warranty from the date of purchase?

I just bought a Britax Marathon form BRU Saturday and I only got a 90 day warranty on the car seat. The only way I could get a 1 year warranty is if I bought it which would cost another $25.

Not sure if this is how it works with every place.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's just BRU trying to make a fast $25 off customers :eek:. Britax will fix or replace just about anything on their seats for a full year after you buy it, free.

BRU will only take it back for 90 days unless you buy that, then you can take it back for a full year.

But they just flat out expire, are not safe to use, once they are 6 years old from date of manufacture. Parts wear out, plastic breaks down, there could be recalls, things get lost, standards can change...that's why they expire. A Jonah will be 1-2 years old, that's fine if you really don't care if you are getting a good deal and your kid will be done with the seat at the same time it expires (it fits most kids to about age 5-6, anyway...).

Oh, just to confuse things, the Frontier is good for 9 full years. Maybe it's super-reinforced plastic so it won't breakdown? For whatever reason, it's the only Britax so far that's not good for 'only' 6 years. :twocents:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
There's a FAQ at http://www.britaxusa.com/support/faqs.aspx about expiration:

Q. How long can my child seat be used?

A. Britax recommends that the use of a child seat be discontinued after six years from date of manufacture or if the seat has been involved in a severe crash. After six years, technology has changed, components degrade from the environment (depending on how and where stored), parts get lost or installed incorrectly, or instructions and labels may not be available or not legible. The child seat may be unsafe and should be destroyed.

As stated in the above FAQ, Britax seats expire 6 years from their date of manufacture due to deterioration of the plastic/components over time and due to possible changes in standards. The only Britax exception is the newer Frontier model, which has a 9 year expiration. Expiration is separate from any warranty period. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Oh wow, so per manufacturer (Britax) you're not supposed to use them more than 6 years? Why?

All car seats have expiration dates. You can't go past that date. Britax, as with moth manufacturers, is 6 years from DOM, while other manufacturers are 5, 7, or 8 years.

3acorns4Christy

I too would pay $30 more, in reality $30 more for 2 more years of use. The BRU thing is pretty much worthless on Britax seats, they have a great costumer service.

HEVY

I just bought a Britax Marathon form BRU Saturday and I only got a 90 day warranty on the car seat. The only way I could get a 1 year warranty is if I bought it which would cost another $25.

Not sure if this is how it works with every place.

Why would BRU give a warranty on a car seat? And charge for extended warranty? That's crazy, never heard of anything like that.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Even though I LOVE the Jonah cover and would pay a lot of money for that cover, I wouldn't get a two-year-old seat unless you are buying it for a 4 yo who will be the only one to ever use it.

indigoblossom

the 6 year thing is a life span, meaning the car seat should no longer be used past it's expiry date. like milk. it goes bad. lol!

but the 1 year warranty is entirely different than the car seat's lifespan. that's just how long the manufacturer will protect against defects in workmanship after you purchase it. so you could buy a seat with a DOM of 12/06/07 tomorrow. 7 months of its 6 year life span are already gone BUT you still have a 1 year warranty from tomorrow.

Melizerd

I don't know anyone who's really had a problem with their seat and Britax didn't help them out even if they already had the seat for over a year.

I'd pay 30 bucks for 2 more years of use, hands down.

Mommy2Marcus

I would pay the $30 more bucks for a new seat as you're loosing 2 years of use off of it for not enough of a discount for me! Also wanted to add that you can get a NEW one for the same price at Albee Baby. I am not sure of the DOMS, but I would think that it would not be to old at this price. It is $219.99 with free shipping which is what I paid for my Onyx in Feb!

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-marathon-convertible-car-seat-brownstone.html

You could call & see if they will tell you the DOM.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC