Who have you recruited to the world of carseat safety?

ProudMomof5

I guess its kind of a spin off from 'do you know anyone more carseat obsessed than you"....
but is there anyone that were able to convince how important carseat safety is? Maybe they aren't as much into it as you, but at least have made some good changes?

It's always such a good feeling to have someone take you serious and make some changes that you know may save a life.

I haven't had a whole lot of success. I have a friend that was already really very carseat safe, as much as she know how, so she isn't a "new recruit" or anything, but she goes to me for the new info because she doesn't have time to check this website and she knows I do!

My DH just listens to what I say, agrees its very important and just lets me make any decision I want... he never tells me I am over the top or anything. He went from knowing nothing to where he is now - just accepting. :)

My best friend listened to everything I had to say and has made some steps to helping her neices and nephews get in better carseats, she convinced their mom to take a class about carseat safety and get them better (not the best) seats and also one of her other friends she has talked to and convinced her to get better seats for her daughter. LOL... so in that situation it was more like a chain effect which makes me feel great!! :)

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, my niece is still in a booster even though she's over the legal age limit in our state, and I know she wouldn't be if not for my influence.

There are several women in our local moms group who have made informed decisions based on information they got from the group, but I have to share the credit for that with Gypsy and our friend. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm happy to say I have had a LOT of success. It is the rare person on my online playgroup who turns their child forward facing at a year. Same thing with a booster at four (though many do not buy more harnessed seats unless necessary for a child over four, but they mostly outgrew the harnesses around five, so that's not too bad). On another board the people there are taking the message and spreading it. They come back to me to tell me how proud I should be of them. :) Which I am. And then on my local mommies board, I've probably checked 70 seats from them, and they've all be receptive to ERFing or EHing. Though it is their choice to have me check their seats, and I would guess those who think I'm going to ream them out for having their 11 month old 18 pounder FFing don't contact me.

The only one who's really disappointed me is Piper's former teacher. She was at my presentation the night before her son's first birthday. She paled and swore she wasn't going to turn him the next day, like she had planned. She got an EFTA for him on my recommendation (and a Nautilus for her older child). That was in January. In May, at the end of the year, I saw her with her son's EFTA FFing. Sigh.

Wendy

momofmany

Sadly, I've recruited no one, they all think I'm nuts for ERF, and having my 10 yo still in a HBB since the legal age is only 8. Maybe it's my approach, I dunno...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think anyone in real life, but I've gotten some incredibly heartfelt emails from people who said they became techs in part because of my influence :)

TerisBoys

Faeanne is becoming a certified carseat nut, and I have another friend who makes 'good' choices. Not always 'best' choices, but better than she used to.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My sister organized and helped a bit with a seat check event at her day care center a couple of weeks ago, and now she wants to take the CPST course as soon as she can get into one close to home. :thumbsup: :love:

Last edited:

Ice Princess

No one. I think most of my friends here in town think I am dumb for having my dd still rf (14mos) and that ff is safer.

My dad and mom are more conscious about it though.

Once I learned about everything last March(2007)...I have since recruited my friend(she was going to go to a booster since her daugher(4)-just outgrew her Cargo---I told her NOOOOO and she listened. She is now in a Madison regent with tons of room to grow(She is 5 now). ;-) She is now spreading the message too.

My other friend (well, she won't ERF-ARGGHHH), but at least now properly buckles her son in his seat. He just turned 2.

My other friend is preggo and due in sept. And she is totally into ERF and EH(we will see once her baby reaches that).

My other friend bought a regent for her son once he outgrew the old triumph at 2 years old(he is 43 inches tall at 2-now he is 3), and 40 pounds. She also is extended rearfacing her baby! YAY!

My sister now properly buckles all her kids, but only if I could get her to booster her TINY TINY(almsot size of my 5 1/2 year old) son.

Forgot to add: My neighbor is now going to ERF her daughter(she is 5 months old now). She always properly buckled her, but wanted to know why logan was RF and I told her and sent her links and now she is all for ERF AND EH.

I also got a few kids from my son's preschool into Regents, nautilus or HBB(were all in LBB).

Everyone else thinks I am a nutcase :whistle:

cpsaddict

Yep, lilysmomma is my friend Sarah. I started her, ahem, indoctrination when she got preggo with Lily. Now she is nearly as obsessed as me! It's funny because she calls me one day and says, "Omg, I just saw TWO Nauti's!". Lily is still rearfacing at 18mths(tomorrow, I think, or is it 19mths??) in two Marathons. I nearly passed out when she went and bought TWO Marathons! Oh and new baby girl will be in a lovely Keyfit 30! She's my best student and her DH is not far behind! He's a total Britax snob. It took a lot of convincing to get a Chicco! Tell them, Sarah!

Baby D

The little girl I babysit. She was telling her mom the other day that the harness wasn't snug enough on her 18 month old cousin. They were visiting from out of state. She looks in people's cars as we drive past and comments on who is too little for a booster and why is that lady holding the baby in her lap, etc. She is 10.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I haven't gotten anyone to be obsessed, but I have gotten my sister and BIL to RF their DD to age two, my parents to notice when children are poorly restrained, and my friend to EH her son to age six.

I think that is relative success. :p

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My BFF RF her daughter to 2. Then put her in a Nautilus after her MA was crashed.

2 moms on here came from my mommy board, one took the class, and the other wants to.

There are lots of kiddos on my mommy board that I've helped keep RF, harnessed or boostered.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC