Pondering a switch to a backless booster - WWYD?

twokidstwodogs

If anyone has a minute, I'd love some opinions about whether to switch DD#1 to an Ollie full-time in my car, which is a Subaru Legacy.

She's is 6 yrs, 2 mos and about 49" and 55 lbs. Right now she's in a B510 with room to grow. The Legacy has side curtain airbags for rear passengers and great side impact crash test ratings, but it's not a huge car weight-wise, and she is outboard.

So I know of course about the improved outcomes with HBB over backless boosters. And she's perfectly happy in the B510. But within the next few weeks, I'll have to move the B510's headrest up to the next position. Because it's a big seat, it will take up quite a bit more space in the view from my rear view mirror (which is already obscured by a Marathon tethered to the cargo roof.) It's doable, but not terrific. Also, I'm terrible about remembering to buckle in the booster when DD#1 isn't in the car. I drop her off in a carpool lane at school, and can't easily jump out to buckle it again. (I'd LATCH the Ollie, of course.)

Given all that, what do you think about my moving her to an Ollie full-time in the Legacy? How would you balance the additional protection of the B510 over the rear vision/unsecured projectile issue?

TIA!

ADS

twokidstwodogs

Maybe for ordinary errands, but not for school drop-off. She's always daydreaming and can be really pokey. It would take her forever. I'd be better off pulling over afterwards and doing it myself, I think. It's also a little hard for an adult to get in there to buckle it, since the car roofline is pretty low.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd go for a LATCHable high back over the Clek. The Monterey LATCHes in, and has nice SIP. The Nautilus can be used with LATCH, as can the Frontier. The Jane Indy LATCHes as well.

Wendy

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I agree with Wendy, at 6 y/o i wouldn't use a backless full time at all. My ds had only since turning 8 been able to be in a backless full time. My 6 y/o still rides in her radian 50% of the time and parkway part time. Although she is smaller then your dd I still wouldn't do it. When you go to a backless the wiggles come back again b/c of the increase of freedom in the belt if ya know what i mean.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Since you have side-curtain airbags, I'd be comfortable with it, but only if the seat belt fits correctly without a shoulder-belt positioner. That's the biggest benefit to a HBB in terms of convenience (not in terms of safety, of course, though it's also a factor.)

Kat_Momof3

The Monterey is surprisingly thin and takes up less space height-wise than the Parkway did!... and Jeffrey is taller than he was when he rode in the Parkway!

If she were too tall for most highback boosters (Damian was too tall for ANY on the market when we moved him), then I'd be fine... and Jeffrey moved because of that same reason... but he's now back in a highback because of the Monterey and will use it till he outgrows the back.

He just is still so young (he'll be 7 in 19 days, though) for me to really want him in a backless unless there is no other option.

twokidstwodogs

It sounds like I should leave well enough alone and stick with the B510 for a while longer (and try to get better about buckling it in!). I was a bit worried about the shoulder belt positioning and the wiggling issue, though she's very good about sitting still now. But I've seen other kids turn into wiggle worms once they have a bit more freedom. I can always try her in the Ollie to see how it fits on the shoulder. It does seem that she's a little young (and short) to get a good fit that way, but I've never tried.

I'd love to get a LATCHable high back booster, but I think I'm going to wait for the new Clek one, since I like the look, and I'm not crazy about the Indy fabrics. I haven't yet seen the Monterey in person. DD#1 dislikes close-in wings like the Parkway has, so that limits us somewhat.

Thanks for all the input, ladies! Only on this board can you ask questions like this without people thinking you're crazy!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd still be a little worried she's too tiny and fragile for the side airbags to be optimal protection... :eek:
I've found my highbacks never move when the belt is hooked around the armrests and through the belt guide (another :eek:, I'm just too lazy to buckle them, but if they don't move, I dont' sweat it).
And with no curtain airbags my kids are in highbacks at age 10 and 8, and I've gotten *really* good at driving with my side mirrors... my car's like a delivery van...no view out the back hardly at all :p

Sounds like you're already sticking with it, but I had to throw in my experience with a similar situation :thumbsup:

Morganthe

I've gotten *really* good at driving with my side mirrors... my car's like a delivery van...no view out the back hardly at all :p

To OP, block up your back windows and practice driving in an empty parking lot or Sunday morning somewhere without any rear view mirror. You'll find your side mirrors are awesome!

There's a lot of vehicles on the road who can't see out their back windows or don't have any either. I think those who drive SUVs, Trucks, & Minivans should be better drivers than they are without them since so many cars & objects are too small to be seen out the high rear windows.

After 5 years driving our Dakota with a cap on the back (tinted windows in between,) and fully loaded wagons, I still don't 100% reliably use my rear view mirror. :shrug-shoulders: I can't even back up using one anymore :eek: Side mirrors are the best things since sliced bread :love:

Stretchy Glue

I'd still be a little worried she's too tiny and fragile for the side airbags to be optimal protection... :eek:
I've found my highbacks never move when the belt is hooked around the armrests and through the belt guide (another :eek:, I'm just too lazy to buckle them, but if they don't move, I dont' sweat it).
And with no curtain airbags my kids are in highbacks at age 10 and 8, and I've gotten *really* good at driving with my side mirrors... my car's like a delivery van...no view out the back hardly at all :p

Sounds like you're already sticking with it, but I had to throw in my experience with a similar situation :thumbsup:

Julie, I didn't buckle dd's Turbo or Parkway very often either:eek:. I totally know I should, but I always forgot. I love the Monterey for that option.

twokidstwodogs

I wonder about this too. I can see that if they deploy across the full window, they'd offer her a lot of protection. But I don't know all the circumstances under which they deploy. If someone hits the rear corner of the car, do side curtain airbags go off, I wonder? That's another reason for thinking she's better off in the HBB, I guess.

I suppose having big booster seats also offers some protection against the projectiles from the cargo area that I forget to secure!

Thanks again, folks. I'll salivate over the Ollies for a little longer.

twokidstwodogs

There's a lot of vehicles on the road who can't see out their back windows or don't have any either.

I know, but I can't help thinking that this isn't a good thing. I have oversized side mirrors, which I love and use frequently, but I routinely drive on some of the nation's most congested roads (lucky me!), and I need all the visibility I can get.

It's okay--I'm used to it by now. It's only the Versatether on the Marathon that blocks my view on the other side; the Marathon itself really isn't in the way. Fortunately, I don't have anyone riding in the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC