Going to be buying a car!

shanna81

I have been doing alot of reading in this section of
the forum and other car sites (edmunds.. etc).
I just feel more confuse than ever!

I was leaning towards the Jeep compass & patriot
but then I was thinking about the future, would like another child and may want more seatings. DH is still sticking with them 2 cars, wont get it out
his mind!!!

I need something that is compatible with any kind of carseat/booster,
room for my dog in the back and 6 seatings or more would be great!
Under $25,000.00 and fuel efficient.

Dodge Journey sounds great....is it? but the gas eh so, so?
Madza 5 --- from reading on here sounds like its not so compatiable
with booster in the 3rd row??? Am I wrong?

Anything else?

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

ADS

southpawboston

the compass/patriot have problems with the rear headrests and top tethers. apparently diamlerchrysler cheaped out and didn't put adjustable/removable headrests in back... they are built into the rear seat and the top tether has to go over it and squash it down.

the mazda5 is a great alternative except for the 3rd row problem that you mention.

BW1426

I've heard that the GMC Acadia is having a more fuel efficient engine put in the 2009 models. May be worth checking out.

monstah

I have been researching 2008 SUV's to hopefully buy at the end of the year. (To get a killer deal) I have almost the same needs as you so here are my top 4 picks.

1.Honda CRV LX AWD 2.4L MSRP $21,900
2.Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 2.7L V6 MSRP $24,150
3.Saturn Vue XE AWD 3.5L V6 $24,370
4.Mazda CX-7 Sport AWD 2.3L $25,450

I don't need a 3rd row, so I'm not sure which ones, if any, have that option for you.
But they are all SUPER safe according to informedforlife.org. Plenty of airbags, electronic stability control, etc.
Sorry I only have the AWD MSRP's.

I can't wait to hear peoples opinions on these cars for you, it may help me decide. :D

Heather98012

Of the 4 options CGrace mentioned above, only the Santa Fe has a 3rd row available...& it leaves NO ROOM behind it for any storage. I mean, seriously...the headrests touch the glass on the back liftgate. However, it looks cool.

I own a Hyundai, my mom & dad both own a Hyundai, my grandma drives a Hyundai & my sister did as well until about 6 months ago. I love them, but the depreciation happens faster than other cars. But, they are typically less money than other cars similarly equipped, so it offsets this.

The GM Lamda Trio (GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook/Buick Enclave) may be a good option. Hard to get it around 25k unless you get a one year old one, though.

Mazda5 would be a great option. Another might be the Pacifica. 2008 is the last year they are making them, so you could probably get a steal on one.

Good luck!!

Citrine

we had a 2002 Jeep Patriot. It seemed we were buying gas all the time. The jeep was only used to and from work that was 20min round trip including traffic time. It was a very fun suv to drive but the gas was not so good on it. I was able to move the head rest and got a great install on a britax wizard in the jeep. But we needed a bigger car got rid of that and got a honda pilot and I aint looking back at the jeep. Another poster said she has a honda CR-V on her list. My MIL has 2006 and she loves it. She leases her cars but when her lease is up in September she will be buying the 2009 modle. I have driven it on a 3hr ride and it is sooo comfortable. You step on the gas and you are gone. I have gotton a britax wizard, and Britax Regant (at the same time)in there no problem. The head rest are removable. The CR-V hatch back area is HUGE. My MIL can put her golf clubs in there stright on and not have to angel them to get it to fit. Its a great ride and its a honda

monstah

Note about the Mazda 5 - when all seats are in use, there is NO storage. Maybe one small stroller can fit but that would be it. You will have to fold down a seat in the third row if you want any space for "cargo".

I second the Pacifica. It would be a top pick of mine also - if it didn't look exactly like a minivan.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think the Pacifica falls short on cargo space behind the third row as well? :confused:

monstah

I believe all cars with 3 rows are going to have minimal storage space unless you go enormous.
Someone else here had a link to popular mechanics showing 3rd row room and storage space in a few very popular SUVs. I'll look for the thread. All of the SUVs they looked at were over $25K though.
(The Mazda CX-9 had the most room of the ones they tested)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm an SUV-to-minivan convert and won't look back :) Maybe considering one of the more economical minivans might be a good option? Seating space AND cargo space.

CarsDirect.com is a GREAT resource to get an idea of accurate selling prices in your neighbourhood. I used them on a vehicle purchase and I have used them to force dealers to price match since. Dealer incentives and other deals might just end up making your final decision for you.

-Nicole.

monstah

I wouldn't hesitate to test drive the Journey.
Car seat may install easily in it but I'm not sure how many people have one yet to talk about it. You are going to want to try getting a car seat in there a couple different ways.
I think that the Journey is pretty cool. *Get the fridge!!*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC