Question Step2 Play Kitchen Help

Megan's Mom

We have decided to get a Step2 play kitchen for our daugther's second birthday, but I would love some help from you moms out there. Is the Dream kitchen good? Or is it worth the extra $ for the Deluxe? We only have one child now, but she does have friends over to play and we hope to have another child who would share this toy as well.

Does anyone have any coupons, promo codes, or other hints on how to get a better deal on ordering one of these sets online? The shipping and handling is very expensive, but our local stores do not sell these sets.

Any help you have on this would be great! :)

ADS

Megan's Mom

Thank you so much for your tip on Walmart. I did not think about that. However, their price with free shipping for the Dream kitchen is higher than most. I found $150 total at Big Toy Express and was hoping I could beat that using codes or coupons or something? My husband does not want to order from a website we don't know. He trusts Amazon, Target, etc. Has anyone used Big Toy Express? I should have listed the prices I had found. $217 is the best I have found for the Deluxe, and that is too much for what I can spend.

Any other tips, codes or discounts out there?

my2kidsSafe

We have the deluxe one, i personally think its worth it if you have teh space. I like that both my kids can play with it without fighting or getting in each others way. I bought it when we only had one, but knew we would be trying for another one. And my niece is over alot.

HEVY

Well let's see, do you have a yard? Could put it up on a platform and get a really nice cover. Ok, let me stop.

Megan's Mom

That sounds like a great idea...like something I would try to pitch to my husband! However, I think I am already pushing it by trying to convince him to go for the Deluxe vs. the Dream kitchen.

Has anyone seen both of them at the same time to be able to compare them?

Megan's Mom

Ok, this is crazy. I had put the deluxe kitchen in my 'cart' on Amazon last night and when I just logged in a message popped up that the item price has increased by over 22% just since last night! What? I don't get it! Do you have to just watch an item forever until the price is right and then you have to buy it right then or risk it going back up? Is there a way to set it to email you or something when the price goes down? I am just sick about this....

R&J'sMom

We've had both the Step 2 Dream & Step 2 Deluxe kitchens. We love the deluxe, it's bigger and comes with a dishwasher and more cabinets. We currently have the deluxe, and my boys play with it daily.

I saw the Step 2 grand walk in kitchen in person at Sam's club at Christmas time (clearanced out for $150) and it was not that cute and it was so tiny. The "floor" is just cheap foam and does not seem really durable. The kitchen portion is really small and the walk in area would accomodate no more than 1, maybe 2 tiny kids at most.

The most bang for your buck, not to mention resale value, I would definitely get the Deluxe kitchen. So worth the extra $$.

003-1.jpg

Holly

I have the deluxe kitchen too.
We were wanting one of the step2 kitchens for Christmas last year, and I really wanted the dream kitchen with the red counter (only available at toysrus.com) but it was $160 and that was a little too much for my husband.
So I placed an ad on our local newspaper classifieds online (it was free) and craigslist. I asked for the dream with red counters, or the deluxe (the deluxe would have been out of the question new).

The next day, someone called me, they had the deluxe and sold it to me for $100!
We really like it a lot! The oven/dishwaher/fridge doors seem to be made out of a thicker more durable plastic than the plastic on the dream kitchen I saw as a display at toysrus. My youngest stands on the open oven and dishwasher, so it's good the doors are more durable.

I really like that the dream kitchen doors seem to look shiny and more metalic though, but oh well. We love everything else about the deluxe kitchen!
It's big enough both my kids can play with it, and they also have a lot of girl cousins who will play with it too, once we move and live closer to them.

If I were to ever get a 2nd smaller kitchen for another room or something, I'd get the step 2 custom kitchen, but I'd get it from Walmart because they have the red counter version (and I like that color better).

valleyfam

I second Craig's List. I got the Deluxe for $65 with extra cookware. It looks brand new including all working batteries and instructions. It is dd's big Christmas present. Currently in storage at a friend's house until then so I can't tell you a lot about it other than in is huge and really, really nice looking in person. We had to take the top off of it to put it in my moms Lexus RX 300 (like a Jeep Grand Cherokee). Good luck and happy hunting.

stjemmes

I have had the deluxe for 3yrs and it GREAT!!! My 3girls play with it daily and their friends think its the best too. It has taken a beating and still looks new. I think the best thing is that more than one child can play at it and there isn't fighting over not having room.

Holly

It's too bad you aren't in Utah, I just decided last night after thinking about it, that I'm going to downsize and get the custom kitchen instead.
I realized we want to get other big toys for their playroom, and the deluxe is really big. They love the kitchen, but they don't play with it tons, and Abby pulls out the drawers and food and throws them around.
I think the smaller one will still be a lot of fun for them, and I'll have the space to get them a table and chairs, and other toys for their playroom now as well.

I thought we'd need the big one to have enough space to play, but I dont think it will be an issue for them to share the smaller one, especially because we will have other play furnioture and stuff too, so they can take turns cooking when they play house when they are older.

Anyway, so I'm selling my deluxe now, too bad you don't live here.

R&J'sMom

It's too bad you aren't in Utah, I just decided last night after thinking about it, that I'm going to downsize and get the custom kitchen instead.
I realized we want to get other big toys for their playroom, and the deluxe is really big. They love the kitchen, but they don't play with it tons, and Abby pulls out the drawers and food and throws them around.
I think the smaller one will still be a lot of fun for them, and I'll have the space to get them a table and chairs, and other toys for their playroom now as well.

I thought we'd need the big one to have enough space to play, but I dont think it will be an issue for them to share the smaller one, especially because we will have other play furnioture and stuff too, so they can take turns cooking when they play house when they are older.

Anyway, so I'm selling my deluxe now, too bad you don't live here.

I would wait if you can. I have found that the older my boys get, the better they are at imaginative play and role playing. They play with the kitchen a lot more now than they did a couple years ago. They like to make dinner for DH & I.

Holly

Yeah, I know they will be more into it when they get older, but I think they will still have lots of fun with the custom kitchen, and it wont take up as much space. We're also going to be moving soon, and they will have an actual playroom instead of just our living room, I don't think there will be enough space in their playroom for all their toys, plus we still want to get them a table and chairs set too.

Lilsid

We have the deluxe and the kids really love it. My friend has the dream and its small but its for only one child. Its too small though to have more than one friend over to play in the dream. Our Deluxe is really not that big with my 3.5 yr old and my 10 month old playing in it.

Heather98012

The deluxe is way better. Sign up for Step2's mailing list...they send out updates all the time with free shipping, discounts, etc. I order from them directly & get great deals.

One word though: The matching table & chairs (the green ones) SUCK. The chairs are wobbly & constantly fall over. If you have it on a hard surface, maybe it would be better, but on carpet it stinks. Thankfully, my dd & her friends have never been hurt, but there have been quite a few freaked out toddlers during play dates who have toppled over in the chairs. So DO not get the table & chairs that match it!!!

Oh, & my dd got the workbench for her 3rd bday (deluxe kitchen was her 2nd bday) & she loves the workbench, too. I came downstairs the day after her bday & she was on the couch, cuddling with her Dad, watching cartoons, a sippy cup in one hand & the play power drill in the other. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC