Others offering to take my kid in their car w/o booster

U

Unregistered

Today I took my 7-yo to a birthday party for another 7-yo. I don't think any of the kids were 8. (State law here says booster seats until 8.) Another mother offerred to drop him off at my house after it was over so I wouldn't have to come back to get him. But, I had a Regent in my car for him, so I couldn't easily uninstall it in mine then install it in hers. And, I soon realized she wasn't intending to use booster seats for the kids. I thanked her for her offer but told her it was okay, I was going to stop at a nearby store and then come back to get him myself. Could someone tell me how I should handle a situation like this?

I really was shocked because she was obviously taking a few other kids home with her.

Am I naive? Am I overprotective? Was my response sufficient or should I have pointed out she would have broken the law and put my child in danger?

ADS

skaterbabs

I think you did the right thing by politely declining. I've been in that situation a few times and made certain the person transporting my child understood they MUST use their booster at ALL times. Next time a simple "thanks, but his car seat is a little difficult to move, so I'll get him myself" will gently remind the other parent that a seat should be used without accusing them or making them defensive.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Do you have room in you cars trunk for a spare booster? Maybe just for situations when your child may end up in another car or another child may end up in yours?

i think you handled it well. I would have done the same. I might have asked if they had a spare booster and if/when they said no i would have declined just to let them know that i require a car seat for my kiddo. its not overprotective at all and dont let anyone convenience you it is. I get comments for parents at my sil's dance classes b/c i refuse to let her ride in a booster. She's only 4 and 28 pounds, she has to be harnessed. I just say "no, thanks it would take me longer to uninstall her seat and install it in your car than it would to just come pick her up." (ok it wouldnt but its nicer than saying "i dont trust you to put her in a proper seat and take care of her") The give me weird looks and ask "she's still in a car seat!? I quit using one years ago." I always respond with "I know loads of people who quit using them but state the law says 6 years and 60 pounds and the laws of physics say 100 pounds or 4 ft 9 to be out of booster so we're waiting to surpass them both." It leaves them speechless and lets them know i know what i'm doing and its not worth trying to cut me down for (why do some moms try to make you feel stupid for using a car seat? The practically laugh at me and i dont get it, it seems logical to me and i come off as the ***** b/c i'm *college educated* and trying to 'show them up'. ha ha ha haa.)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I think you handled it well, too ;)

I keep a spare backless booster in my trunk for emergencies - I usually decline anyway if I don't trust the person to be as car safety savvy as I or at least appreciative & cooperative with my parental wishes, but the booster is there just in case :cool:

Also, I'm not shy about reporting nonuse either :rolleyes: Even if the police don't do anything, the more I call the more the police will take the issue seriously (hopefully)!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Thats what i've always thought too papooses, if i keep calling they'll realize what a serioud issue it is. Or that they'll get so annoyed with my calls they'll deal with it just to get me to stop calling. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
State laws vary greatly, but in Illinois it is now the responsibility of the parent to provide a suitable child restraint for kids under 8. The other parent doesn't have to use it, of course, but at least you are off the hook as far as the law is concerned.

For safety, at least you'll know to drive yourself the next time this parent offers... I would have probably done the same thing, depending on the exact situation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC