Of these seats, which would be most comfy for sleeping/extended travel?

RJB78

CPST Instructor
EFTA
RN
GN

We will be taking a 3500 mile road trip (that's round trip) in a few weeks. I'm not worried about dd1, who will be comfy in her Regent. :D

It is my 2 1/2 year old that I was wondering about. She rides in a RN about 95% of the time. She doesn't complain about the seat, but she does not look comfortable in it when she's sleeping. Her head always flops forward, and when she wakes, she has a red mark on her chin/cheek from the chest clip.

Should I put her in a different seat for the trip? I also have a GN and EFTA. Or is there anything I could use to make her sleeping more comfortable?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Have you reclined the Radian at all forward facing? That may help. The Nautilus and EFTA also have forward facing reclines. The EFTA offers a lot of leg support. Plus the bubble shape seems quite comfortable.

Without sitting in your car looking at all of them reclined forward facing, I'd probably go for the EFTA.

Wendy

BW1426

If the Radian isn't working out for sleep, I'd go with the EFTA. The GN seems to have head slump issues worse than the Radian, at least in my experience.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
*I'd* rather be crusin' in a LaZBoy if it were ME... EFTA!

DD1 wouldn't prefer the cup and junk holders of the GN to the barren starkness of the Regent? (my ds did great in a Super Elite when we drove 2500 miles three years ago, though, I don't remember major strife over missing cupholders...)

:)

L-and-A

i think efta i bought one for my soon for a 1500 mile road trip so he could go rear facing and sleep better. the gn didnt offer him enough support and he had a bad head flop but he does have a big head lol

lovinwaves

For the choices you presented I think the EFTA would probably be the best. The Radian I can install either really upright in my van, or pretty reclined for my kids to sleep. If I get it reclined enough my kids heads never slump.

Any reason why the Frontier didn't make the list? That would another great seat for a long drive. Plenty of leg support, especially for such a youngin'. Nice cush, breathable fabric, VERY sloping recline angle, and headwings for support.

crunchierthanthou

Any reason why the Frontier didn't make the list? That would another great seat for a long drive. Plenty of leg support, especially for such a youngin'. Nice cush, breathable fabric, VERY sloping recline angle, and headwings for support.

I think she was just listing what she already owns.

I'd probably go for the EFTA, too. It looks the most comfy to me. Can you try it out over the next couple of weeks and see how she does in it full time?

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Well, I tried installing the EFTA in the van for the first time, and the tether strap is not long enough to reach the tether point under the captain's chair :doh:, so we won't be using that. I tried the Nautilus next, and it fit fine.

momtoirs

We've done several 6-hour drives (250 miles one way) to my parents house with DS (3 1/2) in the GN. He's slept in without complaint. His head does slump some, but it hasn't been consistent. We're going to Manitoba later this summer and plan on taking the GN. Thats about 500 miles each way for us. DS has been pretty adamant that is the seat he wants (his other choice is a Marathon).

Tina

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Well, I tried installing the EFTA in the van for the first time, and the tether strap is not long enough to reach the tether point under the captain's chair :doh:, so we won't be using that. I tried the Nautilus next, and it fit fine.

Evenflo's short top tether strap strikes again, bummer. :( The good news is you can contact Evenflo to request a tether extender strap.

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Evenflo's short top tether strap strikes again, bummer. :( The good news is you can contact Evenflo to request a tether extender strap.

That's good to know for the future, Jean, thanks! We are leaving soon, so I wouldn't get it in time for this trip, anyway. This is my first Evenflo, and it's been installed in an Intrepid for the past 7 months, so I didn't know it was a common problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC