Saw a booster in use with 2 seatbelts over it.

canadiangie

Today I was wal-mart. When I was pulling out of the parking lot I saw a Dodge Sprinter (aka: Jon&Kate+8-mobile). They had the side door open and mom was standing having a smoke break. Well I decided to get brave and approach the vehicle to ask if I could see inside. [note: I was the one who helped J&K+8 get their Radians, so I've always been fascinated to see inside a Sprinter IRL]. So I pulled up beside the Sprinter, jumped out, and asked the mom if I could please quickly peek inside her van. She looked at me like I was nuts, but said okay. Well as I was walking up I can see a little girl with Down syndrome sitting there in a highback TB. She was in the 1st row in the middle seat. It should be noted that all 12 seats in this thing have lap/shoulder belts and headrestraints. Very cool actually. Anyway, I looked further and they had taken the seatbelt from the passenger side o/b position and put it over the little girl as well. So they had 2 seatbelts going over her. They crossed over her -- like the shoulder belts made an "X" over her body. They buckled the o/b passenger side belt into the driver side o/b position receptacle if that makes sense. :eek: This adorable little pumpkin was just sitting there basically covered in seatbelt webbing. The "X" of the shoulder belts criss-crossed sort of across her collarbone, and the lap beltS were layered quite high over her tummy. She was sitting cross legged under it all and of course happy as a clam, totally unsafe.

I didn't say anything about it. I just didn't. I sort of figured they might have the attitude that I don't know what it's like to raise a SN child, and have no business telling them otherwise about their seat choice.

So I just walked away, peered back at my girls, thought of my angel Olivia (lost due to an abnormal chromosome syndrome), and drove away. :(

ADS

Lara

oh wow, how sad :(.

If you're gonna go through all that trouble of buckling the kid up twice, wouldn't a harness be easier? I'd think so...

mommycat

Maybe she just doesn't know what seats are out there that could harness her child? Or has issues installing? Maybe if you see her again you could tell her there's XYZ seat which she might find would work really well for her? I know how hard it is to say anything, I've passed up plenty of easy chances to say something myself.

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I agree with Cat, maybe she has no idea there are HWH seats up here in Canada now. For years, we had nothing really, so if the girl hit 40 lbs maybe she thought a booster was safer, then encountered issues getting the girl to sit upright.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC