The First Years/Compass to issue recall starting tomorrow re: labelling error

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Hi All,

I spoke to "my contact" at The First Years/Compass today on the phone. He wanted me to thank Nicole and Tam for sending me the PM's with the info and pics about the labelling error. They will be issuing a recall starting tomorrow which will include replacement stickers. He was happy to get the info as soon as he did so they could get all the recall efforts in swing sooner than later.

Thanks guys!

Sarah

Last edited:
ADS

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Aww, Dude! My bad! Did you send me a PM too? I can't hardly keep my head on straight - I've been cramming for Organic Chemistry finals all week. Sorry. :eek:

And thank you to Technogranola too. Sorry girl!:eek:

monsterling

Hi All,

I spoke "my contact" at The First Years/Compass today on the phone. He wanted me to thank Nicole and Tam for sending me the PM's with the info and pics about the labelling error. They will be issuing a recall starting tomorrow which will include replacement stickers. He was happy to get the info as soon as he did so they could get all the recall efforts in swing sooner than later.

Thanks guys!

Sarah

Hi, just want to know what is the recall related to? Is there something wrong with the seat? I just bought one.....:confused:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Aww, Dude! My bad! Did you send me a PM too? I can't hardly keep my head on straight - I've been cramming for Organic Chemistry finals all week. Sorry. :eek:

And thank you to Technogranola too. Sorry girl!:eek:
You just made my day! :love: Thanks!

And actually I didn't send you a PM (I didn't know who I should send the info to), so you wouldn't even have known I had anything to do with it....(but I did start the thread on the error so I'm not trying to take credit for nothing! ;))

Good luck with your exams!

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
You just made my day! :love: Thanks!

And actually I didn't send you a PM, so you wouldn't even have known I had anything to do with it....(but I did start the thread on the error so I'm not trying to take credit for nothing! ;))

OK - good, so I'm not going completely nuts afterall. :D

monsterling

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It was technogranola that spotted the error in the first place :) I just took pictures and forward them ;)
Now I am just feeling like a big whiner! Must have been feeling sorry for myself or something when I posted! :ROTFLMAO: I am so glad that this board exists because it got the error to the people who had the right connections and could get it taken care of quickly! Thanks to everyone for your help!

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
First of all, there is nothing wrong with the seat, just errors in weight range on the French label (affixed on the side of the carseat).

French label with incorrect weight range under the left and right illustrations at the bottom of the label. Should show:

- REAR-FACING 5 to 22 lbs w/o headrest
- FORWARD-FACING 23 to 65 lbs w/ headrest

The weight range for the middle illustration is correct

P1010469.jpg

English label is correct for all three stages.

186_8602.jpg

This post has the pictures too and it's where everything started http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=48223

QuassEE

YAY techno, you are the cause of a recall ;) heehee.. now can we name the recall after you? :) Seriously though, it was a really good catch. Tam and I just made efforts to ensure that the manufacturer and TC were made aware of the error that you spotted.

As if Quebec wasn't confused enough already, right?

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

Wow, awesome job everyone. :)

I'm impressed True Fit is moving so fast to issue the recall. A little bummed though because I was planning to buy my True Fit at BRU tomorrow and assuming they pull things same way as the US, they'll be gone from the shelves by the time I even have a vehicle to go pick one up. :(

Total bummer - I finally decide and now will have to wait. Oh well, it's good they're doing something quickly anyways. At least I'm not in dire need of a seat right this instant. *BUT I WANT ONE!* :eek:

/whine.

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
They have stopped shipping into Canada. The stores will have visitors from a company that will correct the labelling and new labels will be sent to the registered owners. They won't be off the market for too long! The "formal" recall will be in about 2 weeks but if you see any in the field, have the parents call the company. But congratulations you guys - TC loves people like you!

hipmaman

Woohoo!

Now I just wish Evenflo moves as fast on the 'mislabelling' of the EFTA not allowing in it to be used on an aircraft eventhough it is certified with CMVSS 213 and 213.1 ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
They have stopped shipping into Canada. The stores will have visitors from a company that will correct the labelling and new labels will be sent to the registered owners. They won't be off the market for too long! The "formal" recall will be in about 2 weeks but if you see any in the field, have the parents call the company. But congratulations you guys - TC loves people like you!
WOW, that's fast! And I have to say that I am REALLY glad that it was me who found the error and not someone else finding it sooner. If someone else had found it sooner, before the True Fit made it to my lame city, it might have meant that I wouldn't have been able to get it yet. I couldn't wait any longer, DD was overgrown in her SS and I didn't want to have to settle for something with a 32" height limit (everyone knows how much I've complained about that!).

Seriously, though, kudos to Learning Curve for taking this seriously and getting it taken care of ASAP (along with TC).

QuassEE

I have to admit that I'm SO PLEASED with everyone here in this forum.. not just for identifying the problem and reporting it, but also for everyone's attitudes around the upcoming recall. The lack of criticism for a company in the event of a recall is WONDERFUL.

I think everyone here gets it, and I really wish that more parents understood...

We are PAYING these companies TO RESPOND like this. We're paying big bucks for carseats from companies that provide us with the security of knowing that they WILL recall our seats if there is a problem discovered. We're paying to be sure that our children are safe in their seats.

It's not the companies issuing a recall that I worry about--it's the companies that DON'T issue the recalls. We all know who I'm talking about--the companies where you hear about a recall from NHTSA a day or two *before* the company owns up to a recall. The companies that have been fined for failure to report child deaths as a result of their products...

I WANT a manufacturer to recall a product if a defect or error is found. Kudos to everyone involved; Car-seat.org members, Transport Canada and the manufacturer themselves.

-Nicole.

shauburg

WOW, that's fast! And I have to say that I am REALLY glad that it was me who found the error and not someone else finding it sooner. If someone else had found it sooner, before the True Fit made it to my lame city, it might have meant that I wouldn't have been able to get it yet. I couldn't wait any longer, DD was overgrown in her SS and I didn't want to have to settle for something with a 32" height limit (everyone knows how much I've complained about that!).

Yes, Techno, I am also glad it was not found sooner. Thank-you for "waiting" until I got DS his seat. He hit 30 lbs the week the True Fit hit the Canadian market, so I needed to get mine first too! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC