Question Is my car seat legal in Alberta?

U

Unregistered

We are moving from the US to Canada. We will be living in Stony Plain, Alberta. We currently have a Graco SafeSeat that was purchased here in the US. My daughter is currently 19lbs and 9 months old so we are still planning on using the rear-facing infant seat for awhile. I just want to know if it is ok for us to continue to use the same seat that she is in now, or if we will have to purchase a new seat when we arrive.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You will have to purchase a CMVSS certified seat, and discontinue using your American seat. Be glad that you don't have to replace 8 seats (my situation when I moved) though! And at least you can move to a convertible seat once you arrive in Alberta--which you would have had to purchase eventually, regardless.

-Nicole.

canadiangie

You'll need to purchase a seat sold in Canada.

What I would do is find a buyer for your SS1, get everything all set up, then when you get here, purchase a convertible seat right away, and ship your US seat to the buyer right away. I'd do this sort of 'overnight', so the transition time from seat to seat is minimal. Toys R Us in Edmonton has the Marathon, and may even have the TrueFit by the time you get here. Otherwise, all wal-marts carry the Scenera for $69 (should you need something cost friendly that's easily available).

I'd actually go right to a convertible since we're heading into summer, and it *does* get hot here for the most part... and as baby gets bigger you'll want to lug the SS1 less and less...

hth's and welcome!!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm in agreement with Angie that you may want to just go straight to the convertible. The MA, EFTA, and TF are all great choices that will be likely to get your dd to a safe booster age. There's also the Radian that's another option. :)

When are you going to be arriving? There's a seat check in Stony Plain on July 10th at the firehall there. The west division police station is also planning one for mid July.

I lived in Stony Plain from the ages of 8 until 15 and then again for the last semester of high school. I think you'll like it there. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC