News My Frontier is Here!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm amazed it came so fast from Baby Catalog (I think I ordered on 5/30, figured they'd have to wait for some to be in stock? nope, here it is... :) )

Here's our first pictures... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Frontier

I have to tackle the install... no flames for waiting an hour or two for it to cool down, it's 91 out there and I can't take any more heat :cool:

Oh, now that I know how tall it adjusts I'm kind of sad I have the Pink! My ds was a good sport and tried it out and he's got *loads* of growing room in it...(I'm sort of planning to use it as a booster before Leah's FF full time...)

ADS

zactayaus

Great pics. Did you try it out fully extended in booster mode? Just wanted to see if you got the same measurements that I did (23-24in?). Don't forget you have to unthread the harness to get the headrest to fully extend.:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, I got that mega high 24ish inch measurement, too, and my 10 yo DS fits with just loads of room to grow (4+ inches... he's currently about 56 inches tall and 70 pounds and long legged)...I just didn't make him suffer the indignity of taking his picture in a pink seat, lol.

singingpond

Yup, I got that mega high 24ish inch measurement, too, and my 10 yo DS fits with just loads of room to grow (4+ inches... he's currently about 56 inches tall and 70 pounds and long legged)...I just didn't make him suffer the indignity of taking his picture in a pink seat, lol.

Wow on that booster height! I wonder why Britax isn't publicizing that, as it's a feature that clearly would distinguish the Frontier from the competition...

Katrin

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.britaxusa.com/products/product_detail.aspx?ID=15 Yeah, they only say 21.5... I just don't understand why the top would go so high if it's not allowed (I've owned 6 of their other boosters, and they've never just gone up 'too high' to use...that's so Cosco-esque, lol). On the other hand, maybe they are expecting all cars to have headrests at this point.....my ds has a 19.5 inch torso at almost 11 and almost passes the five step test, two more inches of torso will be adequate in any car with a headrest...I dunno, I'm just rambling, it's so odd (especially since the Monterey is going 'too high' and SSK is refuting that it should go that high, it makes me question Britax!)

all together ooky

So excited! My Pink Sky Frontier came today. Installed easily with LATCH. LBP is rock solid too in the captains chair in my 2002 Grand Caravan. I'd have pics but I somehow pulled DD1's hair while I was getting her buckled and she was overly dramatic and started crying. :rolleyes:

I don't think I'd want to use it as a booster (not that I'm using it as a booster yet) if it wasn't LATCHed though. It's a heavy bugger!

Heather98012

I made an appt to go this Sat. to get my Frontier inspected at the hospital by a certified tech. But now I am wondering if I really need to.

Seat has a bit of wiggle by the belt path, but not more than 1". There is more wiggle up by the headrest or in the very front (like where my dd's legs go over the seat"), but at the beltpath it's definately less than 1" (I measured).

Do you think I need to have it checked, or am I being paranoid?!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They might have fun looking at a new seat, if you're feeling generous with your time...but if it's really not moving at the belt path, I wouldn't bother getting it checked...

Heather98012

They might have fun looking at a new seat, if you're feeling generous with your time...but if it's really not moving at the belt path, I wouldn't bother getting it checked...

Well, it does move a bit at the belt path, but for sure it's less than 1".

Heather98012

Well, as soon as I told the tech today (she called to verify my appt. time tomorrow) she got excited about seeing the Frontier. So I'll go for sure.

But, she freaked me out a bit. She said it shouldn't be moving AT ALL at the belt path, & that we really needed to improve the install. Um....is this true?! I thought Britax said it was ok if it was less than 1" at the belt path. Plus, when I told her that it only moved more than 1" up at the headrest but of course it didn't now with the tether attached she said "Well, the tether does help a lot." I thought the tether didn't count towards movement with the installs....just extrusion.

What do you think of this info she gave me? I was feeling pretty confident since it was only 1/2" of wiggle at the belt path.

scatterbunny

We all really love what we call a "rock-solid" install :p , but seriously, our training curriculum says anything under one inch of movement is an acceptable installation. We can always try to do better, and shoot for rock-solid, but half an inch of wiggle at the belt path is really okay.

The tether should not be relied upon to eliminate wiggle room at the belt path, but it definitely helps stop that movement at the top of the seat. When I took the CPST course, we had a question on a test asking about what could be done for a wiggly install, and the answer was to attach the top tether. This question/answer implied a top tether could be used to "fix" a poor installation, and I didn't like that. I'm not sure if that question/answer is still in the new curriculum, but I can see why some techs might think an unacceptable install could be fixed by using the top tether. The actual purpose of the tether is to reduce head excursion (amount of space the head flies forward in a crash). It will help stabilize the carseat, but it shouldn't be relied upon to correct a loose installation.

Julie, the Frontier really looks like it will work okay in booster mode next to a Britax convertible. Since the Britax convertibles sit up high on the base, and the Frontier's armrests flip up, it seems like it wouldn't be bad to buckle. Hmm, do you think a Compass booster would work well next to a Britax convertible?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmmmm... We might have to turn the Compass and Frontier over and measure their butts (tee hee)... the FR is really curved under and narrow at the back/bottom of the seat so you get that extra hand room for buckling, I thought the Compass is a tad more boxy? Definitely a good question and something to try, though!

Page 23 is very clear that up to 1 inch of movement side to side/front to back is acceptable, so a tech should be happy with a 'barely a little wiggle' install (my instructors were going to go crazy trying to tell us NOT to install seats rock solid..."Stop! It's Tight Enough!" lol)

scatterbunny

Yes, the Compass is very boxy, it doesn't get narrower at the back the way the Parkway does (and the way I'm assuming the Frontier does; I didn't even pay attention to that part of the seat when I saw it at Lifesavers). That might be a problem. IME, the B510 just doesn't play well with others. :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
What a Prima Donna! (The Compass, lol)... I've been bummed by that seat before... a mom wanted to use her shoulderbelt in the middle of her Volvo or some other nice car, and had had a nice Marathon in the middle, and the Compass was SUCH a pain to buckle there! I left her that way, but I figured they probably moved outboard after about the first 2 trips.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC