Question checked out a Radian yesterday, even more indecicive now!

horseymom

we have a store here in lethbridge that has them now. So I went and took dd to try it out. I can't decide if the radian ir the frontier will be better for her. She was even with the second to top slots but I think I would have her on the top slots. (depending on what it was like when installed) I'm also wondering what will happen in a year or so with the shoulder room. She's 3.5 and seemed ok now but will it become too narrow for her? is the frontier more roomy? Are the top slots higher on the FR? She loved the pink though!:thumbsup:

ADS

canadiangie

Really, Lethbridge?? :)

That's where I'm orginally from!! Is it Anna Banana that carries the Radian?? I know she has the Olli in her store. Where else would carry a Radian (I'm racking my brain right now).

I'm just so thrilled to see you're from Lethbridge!! I lived there all my life until five yrs ago when we moved to central AB for dh's job.

My heart is really in Lethbridge today as my sister had a baby last night (born at the Reg)... I'm coming home in a few weeks... gee, can you tell I'm missing home right now? :(

Anyway, not sure about your seat question... I have a Radian, and I'm not 100% in love with it. It works, and works well for dd's needs, but if she were 3.5y/o and I had time to wait for the Fronier I think that's what I'd do... the booster option just makes so much sense in the long run...

canadiangie

The Frontier is said to have 18.5" - 19" top slots. The Radian's measure about 18" - 18.5", give or take depending on how your vehicle seats are angled and how the Radian is installed (seatback flush against the vehicle seat, or pulled out a bit can make slight differences in how the top slots will fit a kid).

I see now that she's in a Generations. Those have 17" top slots. So if she has time to wait for a Frontier (she must) then that's what I'd do... JMO.

horseymom

LOL yes, it is Anna Banana! I was very excited to see it. I noticed they have the Clerk?? is that right? I never looked at it though. They have the radian in all the colors too!

horseymom

I think I might just wait until the frontier gets here. DD does have room to wait for it. I guess right now I need to just worry about getting ds his marathon, b/c he's going to out grow that wonderful (sarcastic) AO

canadiangie

I hear that Anna Banana now has a second larger store?? Is that where the Radians are being sold??

Or is it the store by Merle Norman??

horseymom

I hear that Anna Banana now has a second larger store?? Is that where the Radians are being sold??

Or is it the store by Merle Norman??

yes, it is beside merle norman, but I'm pretty sure it's the only one. Are you going to check it out?
While I was checking it out the girl working and I were chatting about are seats and she was impressed with the info I knew:) the Radian was on it's top slot and she said it'll fit her a long time as the strap should be below her shoulders:eek: I corrected her and she was so gratefull, which was so nice. she said she had a 6 yr old ,4 year old and 8 month old who I assume were all harnessed wrong until I corrected her yesterday!

AnnD

Not that I am any expert ... but I would wait. I just got two new Radians yesterday and put my 6 year old in the seat in the house. She would be on the top slots of the Marathon and the Radian - so really no benefit. I have a Frontier on order for her and her 4 year old brother. Hopefully, they aren't delayed.

I like the seat (and we were originally shipped two pinks in error) but gosh does it weigh a ton!

FYI - The Radians are for my youngest two - 2 year old and 11 month old.

canadiangie

Heh. I wonder if her's is the 8m/o who I saw last time I was there watching a Baby Einstein video. Whoever was working there had a baby in his stroller pulled up to a little table with a tv on it. The stroller was pulled as close as it could be before the snack tray touched. I was there for almost 30mins and he never made a peep, just starred at the screen. I commented that he was a good baby to just sit there, and she replied he will sit there all day and watch his videos over and over. :eek: She was just so thrilled about it. :thumbsdown:

I didn't quite know what to say about that one... so I just sort of smiled and nodded.

I'm totally cool with a kiddo watching a video for a few while mom gets something done, but the thought of this little guy sitting there all day really pulled at my heart. She made like 42 phone calls, rang stuff through, chatted with customers, and there he was... alone. :(

Anyway... back to car seats...

PrairieGirl

Oh, that's great that there are Radians in Lethbridge now. Thanks for posting that. I'll have to go and check it out. I've been letting a few people know about car seat info in my baby group, and it will be much easier if they don't have to order seats online. Now if we could only get some Marathons here for people to see.

I've seen that little boy watching the videos in that store. My little one was also drawn to the Baby Einstein music while we were in there. That stuff is so mesmerizing. I was a little jealous that the lady in there could have a job where she can take her kid to work though.

Does anybody know how much the Radians are there?

marciemp

I checked out a Radian in Calgary today. I found it very small for my 4.5 year old and am going to wait for a Frontier. The lady at the store said the Frontier is supposed to be much better. I found the Radian very very narrow and my daughter is a skinny little thing, it was also very short from the back to front, like her upper legs were too long, and she is only average height. She was also between the last and second to last slots. The slots for the Radian are 17" and the Frontier is 18.25" so a bit more growing room. The great thing about a Frontier is that once they outgrow it (which will be around 7-8 years for an average girl) it can be used as a booster until 100 pounds. The Frontier is a 5 point harness up to 80 pounds in the US. I am assuming that the carseat is made the same as the US one so it would be safe to keep them in the harness a bit longer than 65 pounds as long as they were still below the top harness slots and their head was below the top of the seat. Plus for the Radian is that it is PINK, my DD really wanted a pink seat. Maybe someone will have a pink Frontier in Canada?
Marcie

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I checked out a Radian in Calgary today. I found it very small for my 4.5 year old and am going to wait for a Frontier. The lady at the store said the Frontier is supposed to be much better. I found the Radian very very narrow and my daughter is a skinny little thing, it was also very short from the back to front, like her upper legs were too long, and she is only average height. She was also between the last and second to last slots. The slots for the Radian are 17" and the Frontier is 18.25" so a bit more growing room. The great thing about a Frontier is that once they outgrow it (which will be around 7-8 years for an average girl) it can be used as a booster until 100 pounds. The Frontier is a 5 point harness up to 80 pounds in the US. I am assuming that the carseat is made the same as the US one so it would be safe to keep them in the harness a bit longer than 65 pounds as long as they were still below the top harness slots and their head was below the top of the seat. Plus for the Radian is that it is PINK, my DD really wanted a pink seat. Maybe someone will have a pink Frontier in Canada?
Marcie

Right now the pink frontier won't be available in Canada. The Frontier top harness height is around 18.25", so it should fit a little longer than the Radian, but not by much since the Radian's top slots are 18" as well.

Most kids outgrow seats by height before weight, and it's pretty unlikely that a child would make it past the 65lbs the seat is rated to in the harness anyways, so chances are pretty darn high that the extra 15lbs won't be used by many kids even in the US. That being said, I wouldn't exceed the 65lb limit on CDN seats.

Torso height does slow by your dd's age for a lot of kids, so she probably has lots of growing room in both seats. Not all seats are comfy for all kids, so if the Radian isn't comfy for her, then that's ok. :thumbsup:

What type of seat is she in right now? You'll want to make sure that she still fits the seat she is using since we're still around 2 months away from the arrival of the Frontier. If she's outgrown the seat she has right now, then you'll have to buy something else. If you'd like some help with seat ideas, feel free to start a new thread with your dd's stats and what vehicle she rides in, and we'd be happy to help you. :)

marciemp

Thanks for the above info. She is in An Eddie Bauer high back booster/carseat. She is just below the weight limit, by 3-4 pounds, and above the height limit in the manual, but still below the top slots (her shoulders are equal to or slightly higher then the second to last slots, so the harness is at the top), and her head is well below the top of the seat., by several inches.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
My son just turned 6 and has been in a Radian since 4.75 yrs old. He started out just a smidge above the second from top slots (so was using the top slots). He now has about an inch before he reaches the top slots for being even with them. Their torso growth really does slow down now.

He is now 39lbs and 46.5" tall with a 16.5" torso... his torso has not changed since we bought the Radian, but he's gained almost 4 inches in height (all legs).

We have the Super Cool fabric and love it when summer time comes around here... keeps them nice and cool (we live in Calgary area too :)).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC