XC90 versus MDX?

Heather98012

Yeah, I feel sorry for you guys up north! When we were in Whistler a few years ago, someone noticed us getting out of dh's Toyota Sequoia & said "You must be from the States." We were like, um...yeah, but how could you tell? He smiled & said "A Canadian would be driving the smaller version, like the Highlander 'cause of the price difference!" I didn't get what he meant until I went online & saw the prices...it's obscene!!!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Anything that falls under NAFTA is charged only GST/PST, which is the same as buying from a dealer here.. but for example, my Ody in the US was 36k or 50k here, so I paid tax on 36k NOT 50k.. so I even paid less tax in the end. If it's NOT made in North America, then you pay duty as well--I'm not sure how much, maybe 7% more...? And then GST/PST on top of that.. so in BC that's 19% "tax".. Plus you pay like $200 for importing it, and you need to get DRLs (most higher end cars already have them) and maybe do a few mods here and there.. But all in all, it's still way cheaper to import..and American cars tend to have more highway miles versus city miles, to boot!

-Nicole.

etoilech

We've had three Volvos, but not an XC90 (we live nowhere that remotely needs an SUV). They've all been fantastic cars. We have used several XC90s when our car had been due for it's yearly service and when visiting our friends in friends who work for Volvo. Personally, if you really NEED an offroad car, I'd get the Volvo hands down. The Acura is nice but, if you really need it to BE an SUV the Volvo was designed from the ground up for off road situations. In addition it has (according to my friend at Volvo, so grain of salt obviously) been designed carefully with anti-rollover protection.

It's the only SUV here in Europe with a 5 star EuroNCAP, apparently.

I do understand repairs are more pricey in the USa, but we've never had to repair any of our Volvos...

aisraeltax

Nope, 100,000mi for 44k!!! They're about that new in the US, but cars are quite a bit more expensive here.. and it was a dealership and not a private party. I'm hoping to find a 2005 for around the 20k mark! (Anyone?!) There has to be a Volvo forum out there somewhere, right?

-Nicole.

wow! i never realized you had such a steep leap in prices there. we just purchased our car with 10k miles on it fully loaded (has every luxury this car can possibly have) and for not much more than that....and i get great gas mileage. I drove several states away to get it and consider it to be very much worth it. if you can get to WA i bet there are some there too.

we always buy used but 100k miles is a lot on a car for that much. :(

good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC