Techs -- questions about private checks

pastrygirl

When you do private checks:
* Do you use the sample form they give out at the CPST course, or do you have your own? (can I see? :))
* Do you do it at your house or theirs, or somewhere else?
* What do you do with your kids? Do you get the babysitter or only do checks during naptime?

Is there something else I need to consider? I just finished the course yesterday and will wait until I get my Safe Kids Certification ID before I start doing checks, but I want to be prepared and print out forms, business cards, etc. Thanks for any help!

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
You can use the sample forms in the training manual. I do not do checks at my house. I will go to thier house (I never go inside), a park or other public place. Tucker is with me most of the time. I don't take her is I can avoid it.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
You can use the SK form. It is the red form in the manual. If you are not doing a safe kids event I do suggest changing the liability wording in it, but you do not have to.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I made my own form. Sort of a hybrid between the SafeKids form and the SafetyBeltSafe form. (Theirs is more comprehensive, and it might be on their website carseat.org.) I'd send it to you, but I don't have it on this computer.

I also had a District Attorney friend of mine draft a liability waiver for parents to sign.

I go to their house, and I don't take my DS. My DH works a weird schedule, so I make appointments when he's home.

The other thing I'd recommend is liability insurance. HPSO (.com? .org?) offers CPST insurance, but you have to call them to find out about it--it's not listed on the website.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I thought they stopped accepting new techs? If not, I will be calling Monday!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I thought they stopped accepting new techs? If not, I will be calling Monday!

I keep reading that, but I got insurance from them a couple months ago. Maybe it's just a matter of getting to someone in the know? The woman I talked to knew exactly what I needed. (I don't remember her name, of course.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How expensive is CPST insurance?

Mine was something like $60 for the year. It might vary by state.

If/when you call, make sure you get a quote for an individual, not the corporate rate. Even if you'll charge for checks, unless you're incorporated, you only need the individual one.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
You can use the SK form. It is the red form in the manual. If you are not doing a safe kids event I do suggest changing the liability wording in it, but you do not have to.

Actually SK does not allow you to use the SK forms as their liability is covering you only during a SK event. If you log on too SK website there is a generic SK form that does not have SK liability wavier on it. It's under ref/forms/misc.

To the OP:

I will say if you just became a tech I do not suggest you do private checks until you have more experiance under your belt. You need to get involved with a SK coalition chapter or an org. that has a fitting station. You need a senior checker to double check your installs. I know you want to help these families but to cover yourself you need to get experiance first.

Where are you located? Maybe one of us is local and can help you find a chapter or group to partner up with to get that experiance.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I made my own form. Sort of a hybrid between the SafeKids form and the SafetyBeltSafe form. (Theirs is more comprehensive, and it might be on their website carseat.org.) I'd send it to you, but I don't have it on this computer.

I also had a District Attorney friend of mine draft a liability waiver for parents to sign.

I go to their house, and I don't take my DS. My DH works a weird schedule, so I make appointments when he's home.

The other thing I'd recommend is liability insurance. HPSO (.com? .org?) offers CPST insurance, but you have to call them to find out about it--it's not listed on the website.

I called last week to pick mine back up and they are no longer carring the coverage anymore.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I called last week to pick mine back up and they are no longer carring the coverage anymore.

Hmmm...maybe that varies by state also? If anyone does call next week, find out if it's available/not available across the board. I got mine in February, I think.

pastrygirl

All the sample forms in the course book have a space for a senior checker's name. Is that only if I want the installation to count towards recertification, or do I really need to have a senior checker around every time I do an install?

They didn't cover this in my course because all but two of us worked for the PD or FD.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC