Please help me decide on a car seat for In-laws vehicle

IslandGirl

Hello,
I have been reading information on your site doing research on a car seat and I want to say thank you to everyone for posting such helpful information!! I'm hoping you can help me decide on a car seat for my daugher.

My 4 yo daughter has outgrown the carseat in my inlaws car. She rides in the car fairly often but not for long distances. She is currently almost 42" tall and only 32 lbs - she's tall and skinny, and very leggy. I measured her torso height and it's around 14.5-15" (wasn't very exact). We have her in a marathon in our truck and she's got lots of room in there - she's in the second from top slot still.

So, because it's my inlaws car I was thinking of getting a convertible that eventually could be used as a booster. Obviously with my daughter, height is much more of concern than weight. Originally I was considering:

The Graco Platinum Cargo b/c of the 17" TSH (but I read here that the booster isn't great).
Then I was thinking of maybe the Evenflo Generations - with a TSH of 16.5" she has at least another 1.5" of torso growth (how is it as a booster?). The Evenflo Triumph Advance sounds good but it doesn't convert to a booster, which isn't a deal-killer if it's a really good seat. Is it always better to buy a dedicated booster rather than a convertible?

I seem paralyzed by indecision - I would really appreciate any thoughts you have about the relative merits of these 2 seats, or any other seats you think might be appropriate.

Thank you,
Vanessa

ADS

Mara1973

This post in in the Canadian forum...We don't have the Nautilus here yet unfortunately. The Generations can be found for $99 and does make a pretty good booster. In Canada it harnesses to 47lbs. It might not be a bad seat for your parents vehicle.

Another option worth looking into is the Apex. This one will harness to 65lbs, not that you will need it and then a booster, however it is a pretty side seat and requires an adjustable headrest behind it. I find this to be a pretty wide booster for a thinner child though.

Mara :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Since this in the Canadian Forum, I'm guessing you are Canadian... which means the Nautilus previously mentioned is not available here.

The Evenflo Generations is a good seat.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance is also a good seat. The top harness position is nice and high (slightly taller than the Generations) and will last most kids to age 5 or 6 years old.

Given her measurements, either seat would be a good choice for you. :)

At 4, I'd probably go the baseless Generations route and know that eventually you will need at least a low back booster (~$35).

BW1426

Oops. I always try and catch myself, but this time I got so excited with the 'perfect' seat that I didn't catch that it was in the Canadian forum. Sorry :whistle:

Loves2sing

Another seat to consider that turns into a good Booster is the Evenflo Bolero. My 3 year old nephew has this seat, and it is a nice seat, for a decent price. Great as a back-up seat!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

The Bolero is the Generations... just slightly less padding with a more affordable price tag. :)

IslandGirl

Hi everyone!
Thanks so much for your replies! Yes, when I first starting researching seats I was excited about the Britax Frontier or the Graco Nautilus .... then found out they're not here yet. And we need a seat now.

Sounds like I'll go for the Generations or the Bolero, especially if it makes a good booster. That was my main concern - if it isn't good then I'd try the Tribute/booster route.

While I'm asking all you knowledgeable people questions -what makes the Evenflo Generations booster 'good' and the Graco Platinum Booster 'not so good'?

Thanks again, :)
Vanessa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC