Anyone that is using a radian or did use one

Cori

I am trying to find out how long a radian will last me. Could everyone tell me the age, height, weight and torso height your children are? either using it now or when you moved your children to another seat. Thank you very much!

ADS

ProudMomof5

My DD is 6 1/2, weighs 37lbs and is 43,44 or so inches tall.... she is on the second to top slot..... plenty of time left! I don't know her torso height though.. she is at school so I can't measure her right now. I wouldn't say its especially long or short though, just normal for her height. (she is a small 6 year old though)

scatterbunny

My daughter was too tall at 6.5 years old, 50 inches tall and 59 pounds. She was exactly an inch over the top slots, which is the maximum allowed for that seat. She's also in the 95th+ percentile for height. Most kids should make it to age 7-8 in the Radian.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Age 6, stats in siggy, roughly 16.75" torso (she's short overall but has a proportionately long torso). She's comfortable in the seat and she's using the top slots with over an inch of torso growth room.

heathernick06

My son will be 4 in August and is 39" and 36 lbs. His torso is about 13.5 inches and he is at the second from the top slot so he still has a lot of room left in the Radian.

Last edited:

sfeitler

Age 6, stats in siggy, roughly 16.75" torso (she's short overall but has a proportionately long torso). She's comfortable in the seat and she's using the top slots with over an inch of torso growth room.

My almost-6-year-old DD sounds about like chickabiddy's. She also has an inch or so to go before she's even with the top slot. It helps that her legs are growing now, instead of her torso..

-Sarah

ntepper

I am actually considering a Radian now (my daughter is growing out of her Roundabout). I just did some research and I am wondering if anyone knows if the top harness slot on the Radian 65 is different than the top harness slot on the Radian 80. It seems like it should be but looking at their website they both look like 18 inches.
Also, does anyone know if this seat Tethers as well?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Radian65 and Radian80 are built on identical shells: the Radian80 shell is reinforced, but has the exact same measurements and strap slots.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Aiden is just over 6 years old, 39lbs, 47" with a 16.5" torso... he's on the top slots with about 1 - 1.5" of growing room until he reaches the top slots.

We have both the 65 and the 80... they are identical in terms of slot height. :)

libranbutterfly

My DD is 3 yrs 4 months, happy in her Radian 80, still on the second from top slots at 33 lbs. All seats tether now, assuming the car is equiped :)

jb5416

My ds is six years old, 45 inches tall, and his torso is about 16 inches. He has at least an inch to grow before he is even with the top slots. The seat fits him very nicely.
Jessie

ntepper

Sorry! One more question . . . am I seeing that you can keep them in the Radian after their shoulders are above the top harness slot????

My son has a 16.5 or 17 inch torso(def. too big for the FPSVD and marathon) and is on the top slots with 1.5 inches left to grow in torso I am guessing. Or more sinc ehe can go above 1 inch(Yes, radian's you can do that with).

He is 5 1/2 years old, 45 pounds, 46 inches tall.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sorry! One more question . . . am I seeing that you can keep them in the Radian after their shoulders are above the top harness slot????

Yeah, theoretically it's allowed. Some kids don't mind sitting in a seat that's really a bit small for them, my kids found it painfully uncomfortable http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/BitsyRadian107/photo#5019600731818043490 That was about the last time I put my dd in that seat

(and whoever asked if it has a top tether? Yes :))

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Radian is unique (and somewhat controversial) in that it may be used with the shoulders above the top set of shoulder harness slots, until the child's ears are even with the top of the Radian's shell, or until the weight limit is reached, whichever comes first. Whether or not the child will be comfortable with the shoulders over the Radian's top slots is questionable, though. On that note, my oldest, DD1, recently outgrew the top slots in the Radian at age 6, 50 lbs. and 48" tall overall, mostly torso. I opted to move her back into a second Regent we already owned, where she's using the top set of shoulder harness slots and has close to a couple of inches of torso growing room before her shoulders are even with those top Regent slots.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ is 41# and almost 42" w/ a 15.75"? torso. He moved to the top slots at 35 mos and still has a good 1.5" I think before he'd be even w/ the top slot. He'll easily make it to 6 in this seat, probably longer.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Radian is unique (and somewhat controversial) in that it may be used with the shoulders above the top set of shoulder harness slots, until the child's ears are even with the top of the Radian's shell, or until the weight limit is reached, whichever comes first. Whether or not the child will be comfortable with the shoulders over the Radian's top slots is questionable, though. On that note, my oldest, DD1, recently outgrew the top slots in the Radian at age 6, 50 lbs. and 48" tall overall, mostly torso. I opted to move her back into a second Regent we already owned, where she's using the top set of shoulder harness slots and has close to a couple of inches of torso growing room before her shoulders are even with those top Regent slots.

My daughter will likely be close to eight when she reaches the top slots of the Radian. I expect that I will choose to move her to a booster rather than go over the top slots, but it is allowable to go over the top slots.

christineka

Only one rides in the radian, but all of my children fit. Here are their stats:

Age 8, 45 pounds, 16 inch torso
emilyradian.jpg

Age 6, 47 pounds, 16 inch torso
caitlynradian.jpg

Age 5, 43 pounds, 14.5 inch torso (He's the radian rider)
ericradian.jpg

The other two are smaller.

Christine

ntepper

So why is it allowable in this seat but in no others? just cause it was tested that way? just curious if anyone has any details.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC