Interesting Pic

ADS

Kellyr2

Are the seat belts on boats like that?? there aren't are there? Because you'd want to be able to swim away, not be trapped under it.
So the next question is - why on earth do they even have the kid strapped into a carseat?? Should they flip or sink, he could easily wind up trapped with the seat on top of him!!
The drowning risks in this picture are freaking me out way more than the fact that the harness isn't on him well and that there's a lifevest under it! See, there's the carseat nazi side of me, then the former lifeguard side of me, and they're fighting right now LOL.
All around, that pic is freakin scary! What were they thinking??

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh. My. Goodnes. :eek: I'd say that wins the prize for most idiotic misuse ... nope, no belts on any of the boats we've had or been in, not to mention of course the double-edged wrongness of the life jacket while buckled @@ If it were a car, obviously kid could be ejected & in a boat, well, OBVIOUSLY the carseat is just gonna drown the poor kid regardless :mad: :(

Kellyr2

anyone ever tossed a carseat into water? I'd be interested to know what would happen. I can't think of the right words to explain WHY, the words aren't ones I use regularly and I can't find them filed away in there LOL - but it seems to me, picturing it, that the seat would be most likely, because of physics, to wind up face down in the water. If it was on its back, it would flip backwards, it wouldn't sit upright, it would flip forward in that case... either way, I can't see the seat doing anything but going upside down. Now, maybe an infant seat, it might stay face up, possibly.
And because of the positioning of the child in the seat, i'm thinking the life vest would really play no role in keeping the kid and seat afloat. The seat would be somewhat bouyant, wouldn't it? And if it was upside down, the vest would help keep the seat afloat - but that doesn't matter when the kid's face is in the water.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I'm guessing they did it to keep him still. they probabley were afraid he'd climb on a seat and fall off. In that regard i dont blame them we had a 4 year old on my FIL's boat last summer and we all had to take turns holding him in our laps b/c he wanted to jump from seat to seat and climb all over the place.

Kids lifejackets are designed to roll them over when their on they're fronts but i doubt ti would work if the kid is straped in a heavy car seat. I think the seat would be somewhat boyant. i thin it might float with the bottom portion down and flip over b/c the base part is the heavy part so i think it would end up right side up eventually but how long would it take to flip right and how much water will the kid breath and swallow before it happens?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Right, that was my thought, too ... but, really, there are safer & more fun, relationship building things can be done with a kid on a boat - my nieces/nephews always enjoyed helping drive, learning how the boat works, even scrubbing the boat singing pirate songs, not to mention playing with the toys brought in their "keepem busy bags", LOL ... I'd have to be the only adult with more than 1 small child to deal with before I could resort to something like this - it just seems so obvious that the carseat is a drowning hazard :(

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
yes that type stuff works good on older kids but to me this kid looks too little to 'drive' the boat and stuff like that. i think he's also asleep they might have put him in it to get him to calm down enough to sleep. i used to baby sit a kid about his age who wouldnt sleep if he could get up to move when other people were around moving.

I still think there had to be a better option than this for him. I've spent alot of time on my FIL's boat the past 2 summers and we've never had anything dangerous happen but i still wouldnt think of doing this to my nephew. (though while on the boat and in the water my SIL and i wore him in a front carrier b/c he gets slippery and he sinks like a stone in the tub. she couldnt find an infant life jacket for him so it seemed like the best solution.)

Kellyr2

I think having a kid in a sling or carrier would work great on a boat, in the absence of infant life jackets (I have seen some online, but not in regular stores). As long as you could also find a way to put a life preserver of some kind on mom. Water wings maybe? ROFL Or I guess you could put the carrier on top of the life vest, that would work.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Only (Federally?) approved life saving devices can be used

In my family we've foudn that it's the smaller kids this size that like driving & such more than the bigger kids - not alone, of course, but on a lap & with direct adult supervision :cool:

KeikiHula

Um...carseats float???? I've never actually thrown one of my seats in the lake (I might have to try this just to see what happens) but there is nothing on a carseat that is boyant. I would be willing to bet that if that kid got tossed in the water (accidently of course) that the carseat would go face down, and *maybe* the lifevest on the kid would be enough to keep it somewhat floating, but with the baby's face in the water. :( Maybe if he landed the right way the weight of the carseat would pull it down so the kid would be face up and the life jacket would keep him afloat enough. I'm not even sure though if the life vest would be enough to hold up the kid and the carseat. Anyone ever gone swimming fully clothed with a life jacket on. It'll keep you from drowning, but it's still not easy. Strap on a big chunk of plastic and metal that weighs a 3rd of your body weight.....

UGH! This pic just really bothers me. I have MAJOR fears about my kids around water. I know I've talked about it before. I wanted to design a carseat that would float and keep the kid face up. We have always lived places where we had to cross long bridges to get anywhere and I've had several anxiety attacks crossing them alone with my kids worrying about a car accident and how I could possibly get both kids out of the car before we all drown....I get freaked out just thinking about it now.

Kellyr2

I know that I showed this on another forum and someone mentioned that her kids' life jackets said on them that they'll support up to 100 lbs. But I think that only applies if its fully wrapped *around* that 100 lb body - not on a child in a seat.
I think that the bouyancy of a seat depends on what seat it is. the ones with the EPS foam probably float, some others would probably float depending on the amount of foam. Plastic tends to float. So it would come down to the amount of metal.
I'd love to try it out (baby free!) and see what happens.
As far as getting out of the car without drowning... I've seen videos on how to do it, in my lifeguard training. The basics is - as soon as you hit the water, you'll want to go ahead and unbuckle everyone in the car and get ready. It would be especially tricky with an infant, but hey, my training showed all adults. But you'd want to get everyone's heads near the top of the car to take advantage of the air as long as possible. Once its full of water, THEN the pressure is equalized and you should be able to open the door and swim to the surface. If you happen to have manual windows, This whole process becomes easier - assuming your windows are large enough to fit through. You can just unbuckle everyone, then roll down the window and swim out. If you have electric windows, they may short out too soon for it to work. Thats one of the things I made sure I've remembered over the years, because it freaks me out too. I'm sure I could probably still pull someone off the bottom of a pool too, but I fear crashing into a lake more than that for some reason.

KeikiHula

I didn't think of EPS foam, but then not all seats have that either. Are you sure plastic floats? For some reason it seems to me that as dense as the plastic in carseats is, it would sink. Life jackets aren't made to keep a kid strapped into a carseat afloat. Even if they were rated to support that much weight, they wouldn't nessasarily keep the carseat floating up right. I think I might take our old Chase and do an expiriment. ;) We don't use it anymore anyway, but I wonder if it would ruin it to get it wet if I dried it off?

Well, the chances of getting into an accident on the bridge and plummeting into the lake are pretty slim to begin with, but it's just one of those irrational mommy fears I can't get past. It worried me more when Cody was a baby, but now both boys can somewhat swim, enough so that I think if we could all get out of the car, we could all make it to the surface. So once the car if full of water, can you just open the doors? Do you have to wait for the entire car to be full of water, or just the part you are trying to get out of? Like if the car went in nose first and filled past the front doors, could we get out that way, or would we have to wait until the whole car was full?

U

Unregistered

I just dont get the whole idea of the picture...

The put the life jacket on and then did the belts up not to mention the clip is too low and belt not done up..

Why would you take a car seat on a boat if you had to take the child out and put its life jacket on anyway...

Its a wierd pic...

But i think car seats float but not the right way around...

Tim

Kellyr2

I'm not sure, but I think that as long as the area around the doors is completely filled up, you can open the car doors. Its sometimes possible to open them up before its totally full anyway, but its harder, because of the pressure of the water pushing on door. I think it would need to be at least half-way. and then you'd have to deal with water rushing in.
I'm going to look for articles now LOL. I'm also thinking that part of it is to roll down the windows asap so the car will fill up faster and you can get out before it sinks too deep. Yeah. That sounds right. Then it will take less time for you to reach the surface. Don't take my word for it though - I"m going to look up articles in a little bit. (it HAS been several years since I had the training. I think I need a refresher!)

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
You know i have the seat that kid is in and a pool (its closed right now) perhaps in the summer i will pitch the seat in. i cant use it anyway its just sitting here waiting for me to decide how to dispose of it (accident a few weeks ago).

I'm not sure how well eps foam floats. i considered mentioning it but i doubt there enough to hold up that seat.

I think most childrens life jackets are rated for a hundred pounds. when i water ski i wear a childrens jacket (i'm a hundred pounds and rather peite so the larger ones slip over my head when i hit the water. but i'm beginning to 'bust' out of it. thank god too, big bird is not the most fashionable character to have on an adults life jacket!)

Tim, i think the car seat is being used to hold him still not for his safety.

shashoo

car seat floating

Has anyone seen the Fear Factor where the contestant has to unbuckle themselves and retrieve an infant form the back seat of the car after it had been submerged in water. Well...it was an infant carseat 3 point, ff, in the back seat. I am pretty sure that it wasn't secured to the vehicle (at least not by the seatbelt). The seat definately did not float. I wish I could see it again to determine how it was secured, maybe someone else has seen it. I have seen people bring their infant carriers on boats so their children have somewhere to sleep and I know others who bring their carseats into weddings so their children can sleep in them (I always wondered how they secured it back in the car with the baby in it). I would much prefer to sling the baby or bring a stroller, but I guess it is personal preference.

KeikiHula

I vaguely remember that Fear Factor ( the ones with the cars in water freaked me out so bad I could hardly watch!). I don't remember how, or even if the carseat was secured.

Dreaming-I wonder if you could just fill up the bath tub and see if it floated. I have the same seat too (I'm pretty sure that's a Titan, right? I sometimes can't tell the difference between the Titan and the Comfort Sport though). I was cracking up at the Big Bird Life jacket! :p

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
i thought it was a triumph. if i had a bath tub i would try it, but i have one of those stand up shower stalls with no tub. :( maybe when the in laws are out of town next week i'll drop it in thier hot tub. :) But i think they'll think i'm nuts if i got dropping a "perfectly fine" car seat in thier hot tub. (yup they think the seat's ok b/c it didnt break!)

Now that i think about it i think we took DN on a pontoon boat when he was just a few months old in his snugride. (and i another time she brought his swing b/c he was colicy and it made him stop crying! OMG that thing would sink like a stone. Never even thought about it thought!)

I wondered about sunburn too, woods. Maybe they covered him in sunscreen and were worried he'd get too hot (not that, that black seat will get hot of course!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC