LATCH weight limits (spin-off of LATCH vs. seatbelt)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is a spin-off of the other thread because I realized if I replied I was going to largely hi-jack the thread. :eek: So I'm starting a new thread including the quotes I was initially responding to. Clicking on the little arrow next to flipper's or jools' name will take you to that thread. :thumbsup:

****Disclaimer - ALWAYS follow the limits set by your vehicle manufacturer. This discussion is speculation and opinions. None of us will recommend that you exceed the limit the manufacturer has set, nor is this an area that should be considered a parental decision. If your child is over the weight limit your manufacturer has set for LATCH, then use the seatbelt. That point isn't up for debate. :thumbsup:

We say it's the same here, too. But there's a little controversy...check out this letter to the CPSPList a few years ago from a Ford engineer (now retired). The gist though is that the single LATCH belt like we have in the US on most seats is the same as a seatbelt, so in our case there may not be much difference. But for seats with rigid LATCH or probably the two strap design, it is possibly better, especially for the average parent who's not tightening belts enough.

CRS installation - LATCH vs. belts
"I feel that I have to chime in on this subject because I disagree with the party line that LATCH is just intended to improve convenience and reduce misuse, and its OK to just use the belts if using LATCH isn't convenient. It would be nice to be able to tell customers that their children can get the same protection using either attachment system, and that there is no need to install the CRS in a seat equipped with LATCH anchors. But I can't support that position because of test results that I've seen. Ford has run a lot of tests of child seats installed with LATCH anchors and installed with seat belts, and I see a consistent and substantial improvement in performance using LATCH anchors and attachments compared with belt installation, even when both tests used snug tether straps.

I have also examined NHTSA's NCAP CRS tests. Those tests did not show a consistent or substantial difference between belts and LATCH
installations. But the child seats in those tests were installed very tightly, with less than 1/8 inch of lateral movement at the belt path under a 50 pound lateral pull. We can install child seats that tightly, but very few parents consistently install child seats that tightly. Ford tests child seats using more typical belt tightness.

The difference between LATCH and belt installation may be even more important in side impacts, especially with some child seats. Child seats with rigid attachments (like the Britax Expressway ISOFIX) or with two separate straps and adjusters (like the Fisher-Price Safe Embrace II)[Britax Marathon] are more stable in side crashes than child seats installed with lap belts or with a single LATCH belt and single adjuster (like the Cosco TRIAD or the retrofit LATCH kits)[Sunshine Kids Radian].

GM market studies several years ago showed a strong customer preference for dual straps and adjusters because it is much easier to get a tight fit with dual straps and adjusters, but many child seats use the single strap and adjuster LATCH attachment system.

I think the decision about what to recommend if the LATCH system doesn't provide a tight installation is a difficult one. If the belt and tether
installation is very tight, as in the NCAP tests, it is probably just fine.

Personally, if I couldn't get a tight fit with LATCH, I would get a child seat that did provide a tight fit using LATCH anchors.

Regards,
Paul W. Butler - Ford Advanced Safety & Regulations"

What about the "poor" kid who's too big to use LATCH? I seriously think this is going to be a HUGE issue as more people have HWH seats - not reading the directions is a cause for significant misuse now, what about when kids hit 45+ lbs?

I hope the PTB do some more research & testings on LATCH anchor weight limits soon.

My unofficial opinion is that the lower anchor limits can already withstand the higher weights. We've had 47 & 48lb limit seats in Canada before the introduction of lower anchors, and I believe that was also before the CRST course was developed. And our curriculum does not specify maximum weight limits for use of lower anchors. If you asked almost any tech in Canada who isn't active online, they'd have never heard of the LATCH manual, and may or may not be aware of lower anchor weight limits except in vehicles whose owner manual specifies it.

When you factor that in to the fact that most manufacturers fail to put any info regarding lower anchor weight limits into their vehicle owner's manual, it's reason for pause...

Now obviously Canada's experience with kids in seats beyond 48lbs is limited due to how new the higher weight limit is, but there certainly hasn't been a rash of kids injured in vehicles with 40lb lower anchor weight limits because their kids were 47lbs and their seats were installed with lower anchors.

I'm certainly not by any means saying to disregard what a vehicle manufacturer tells a parent, but I am saying that the average parent who is harnessing longer is most likely already using the anchors past the weight limit and we're not seeing seat failure as a result. Which leads me to believe it's just a matter of time until we see some changes in recommendations from vehicle manufacturers.

In the meantime we have to follow manufacturer limits... but I do think that more thought needs to be put into exactly how much weight the anchors can handle. Part of the problem right now is that the lower anchor standard test is a pull test measured in Newtons (I believe, someone correct me if I've got the wrong term,) and it's difficult to convert it precisely to lbs.

I'm curious what would happen if they crash tested vehicles using the radian and the higher weight dummy - heavy carseat, the dummy they use is over 80lbs, so there'd be a combined weight of at least 100lbs... and see if we actually started to see failure.

Final statement for the record - follow the limits your vehicle manufacturer has set. I'm just thinking out loud and interested in the discussion. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Ugh, I tried to add a poll but wasn't quick enough with creating my choices. :rolleyes:

This is what the poll would've been:

In your OPINION, how conservative do you think manufacturers are with their weight limits?

1. Very conservative - I doubt we'd see failure at with any current carseat/child combo
  2. A little conservative - They probably do fail in the very upper weight limits
  3. Realistic - Manufacturers would give higher limits if they thought anchors would hold more weight
  4. Other - or you just want to vote.

So feel free to comment as if the poll actually existed. :eek:

snowbird25ca

I wouldn't want to risk it - we just don't have enough data on the LATCH system as a whole.

No, I wouldn't want to risk it either. I'm not telling anyone to risk it, just wondering about opinions/speculation. ;)

eta: I added an additional disclaimer at the top of the first post just in case the one near the bottom gets missed by anyone. I do want it to be clear to anyone who reads this post that we're not saying to ignore the limits... I'm just curious about opinions about the anchor weight limits. :thumbsup:

Airforcemomma

This is a topic that as peaked my interest for quite some time. I have asked GM about the weight limit on the anchors and the question was answered by someone in the GM engineering dept. Their answer to me was" we do not put a weight limit on the LATCH anchors because that would be like putting a weight limit on a seat belt". So, as far as GM Canada is concerned there is no weight limit on their LATCH. My Canadian MA manual says nothing about lower LATCH weight limits and does not specify a limit of 48lbs, and my vehicle owners manual says nothing about LATCH anchor limits either.

I have asked GM, checked the manuals and nothing tells me to stop using the anchors at 48lbs. That says to me that there is no is limit on the anchors. If there was a LATCH limit and the manufacturer isn't saying so or specify exactly what that limit is there would be huge liability issues should a parent use the LATCH past 48lbs and have their anchors fail in a crash.

Personally I have both my kids seats installed with LATCH and they are both approaching the 48lb mark. DS is 45-46lbs and DD is 44lbs. Unless there is hard data and manufacturers telling me to stop using the LATCH at 48lbs I likely will continue to use LATCH until the kids have reached the weight limits of the seats. I'm on the fence with it, I may very well change the installs to vehicle belts at 48lbs, but at this point nothing says its safer to use the vehicle belt as apposed to the LATCH past 48lbs. At least not here in Canada.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, here's some more stuff for the stew - I've been looking at dog harnesses for use in the car. (Don't ask me why I'd want to waste my money on something my dog will chew through in about 5 seconds, but there you go.) Did you know they come with LATCH connectors? Neither did I! But apparently if I had a 100+ lb dog I could hook him to a single LATCH connector.

So, uh... how well are those doggie carseat harnesses tested? Or is it just a load of bull, like after-market carseat products being labeled as "crash-tested" to meet "FMVSS standards?" (YK, the ones that don't exist!)

snowbird25ca

I'm guessing she's referring to the fact that the dog harness that uses LATCH is made by IMMI?

Ohhhh, I get it. :eek:

That is interesting about the dog harness. Although you also raise a good point about what kind of standards are there for dog harnesses.

A 100lb dog plus harness would be pretty much the same as 80lb kid plus carseat... things that make you go hmmm.

(Although I'm guessing manufacturers of dog harnesses aren't thinking about LATCH weight limits... I mean there's the whole issue of the whole weight of the dog being on just one anchor too.)

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Ok, dh just called one of his co-workers who knows about this (they work in automotive seating engineering) and he says that specifically in regards to Latch anchors, that there is a built in safety margin of 40%. So if an anchor is rated to 40 lbs, it will not begin to fail until at least 40% more than that. He says that the car manufacturer adds a 20% margin, and then as the designers and manufacturer of the seats, they add another 20% to that. The guy we talked to is a global seating engineer, and he knew this off the top of his head lol. If you want any more in depth technical information, I'm sure I can get it as well. My dh says they even have a test sled where he works, and maybe one day I can go in and talk to the people working there and even see how it works!

Defrost

Ohhhh, I get it. :eek:

That is interesting about the dog harness. Although you also raise a good point about what kind of standards are there for dog harnesses.

A 100lb dog plus harness would be pretty much the same as 80lb kid plus carseat... things that make you go hmmm.

(Although I'm guessing manufacturers of dog harnesses aren't thinking about LATCH weight limits... I mean there's the whole issue of the whole weight of the dog being on just one anchor too.)

Yep - it's not exactly a good correlation, yk? I certainly won't be running around yelling "If it's good enough for my DOG, it's good enough for my KID!" But I remember that video with the delightful dog-dummies, so clearly at least ONE of the manufacturers has actually crash-tested their harness (although I don't think it specified whether it was seat belt or LATCH).

snowbird25ca

Ok, dh just called one of his co-workers who knows about this (they work in automotive seating engineering) and he says that specifically in regards to Latch anchors, that there is a built in safety margin of 40%. So if an anchor is rated to 40 lbs, it will not begin to fail until at least 40% more than that. He says that the car manufacturer adds a 20% margin, and then as the designers and manufacturer of the seats, they add another 20% to that. The guy we talked to is a global seating engineer, and he knew this off the top of his head lol. If you want any more in depth technical information, I'm sure I can get it as well. My dh says they even have a test sled where he works, and maybe one day I can go in and talk to the people working there and even see how it works!

Hmmm, so that makes 40lbs 56lbs, and 48lbs 67lbs approximately. Is that right?

Is that taking into account weight of the carseat though? What I was told in tech class is min testing weight is 70lbs including weight of carseat, and that's where the 48lb limit comes from - although many manufacturers already exceed that limit.

eta: if the 67lbs is just child weight, that explains why GM Canada told one of the pp's that there's no limit - none of our seats go over 65lbs and we're required by law to top tether.

Defrost

A-ha! RTFM, Defrost....

It says on IMMI's website (after you dig around quite a bit...)
Do not attach a dog weighing more than 60 pounds to the LATCH bar! Doing so could damage the LATCH bar in a sudden stop. Use other attachment points if your dog weighs more than
60 pounds.

That's still only using one LATCH anchor, though.

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Dh says he believes that would just be child weight. And that the anchors will not fail at the 40% over, they will just bend more then the set 5 mm limit. So in all reality, I personally do not feel that there would be a catastrophic failure with any seat out there (except maybe really high weight limit special needs seats). The anchors will deform and bend a LOT before they will fail totally. I personally would never use the lower anchors beyond manufacturer's limits, just the tether anchor.

P.S. Dh has our seat engineer friends email, and he says he will forward it to me and I can ask him if he would be willing to answer more technical questions when they arise!

Defrost

P.S. Dh has our seat engineer friends email, and he says he will forward it to me and I can ask him if he would be willing to answer more technical questions when they arise!

Just don't let him ask Russ from SK about what he's getting into first... ;)

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Oh, I won't be able to pass his email around though! I would be the only one emailing him questions LOL. He is a personal friend of ours so I would keep the questions and the amount of questions to a reasonable level. ;)

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm on the fence with it, I may very well change the installs to vehicle belts at 48lbs, but at this point nothing says its safer to use the vehicle belt as apposed to the LATCH past 48lbs. At least not here in Canada.
I forgot to update info in the other thread where we discussed this. But, apparently it's not a Canadian thing anymore, but rather a vehicle manufacturer thing. My response from Honda Canada, for Honda/Acura vehicles is that both their lower anchors and tether anchors are rated to 40 pounds. They told me that the vehicles are the same in the U.S. and Canada, so the limits are the same. I recommended they get this info in the owner's manuals. So, now I wonder why some vehicle manufacturer's are saying one thing and some saying another. As I am pretty darn sure that most Canadian vehicles are the same as their U.S. counterparts with the exception of options/option packages.

Shanora

My DH and I were talking about this the other night, and he asked me about wither the LATCH bars are welded on, or if they are poured in when they pour the bars....(Ie in the warehouse as one solid frame...so to speak). In His opinion, if they are welded on....than they would have an earlier breaking point, than ones that were poured as a whole frame. As the ones that are poured they would be a solid structure, and it would be no different than having the seat belts attached to the seat frame.

Now Ford has a 48 pound Latch Max....however I only know this, cause of the link I seen here. I would have NEVER thought to look for a max weight limit. If I had NOT known about this, in all honesty, I would have continued to use the LATCH until my kids out grew their seats (which will soon to be a 65 pound seat), now that I know.....I will not use the LATCH past the 48 pounds.....Just in case.....

But I guess the next question is....what about seat belts that are attached to the frame work in the same way......???

Synchro246

OP-- I vote somewhere between 1 & 2. I doubt that most LATCH would fail (catastophically) with most, if not all, seats on the market. Even if those seats were used to their max weight.

But apparently if I had a 100+ lb dog I could hook him to a single LATCH connector.
My inital reaction was that dogs just aren't worth as much as kids and the harness manufacturer is willing to risk a settlement or two if the LATCH fails and the dog dies/is injured. Maybe there'd need to be burden of proof that the dog was worse off with the harness.

But I remember that video with the delightful dog-dummies,
What video?!? I *need* to see dog dummies.

A-ha! RTFM, Defrost....

It says on IMMI's website (after you dig around quite a bit...)

That's still only using one LATCH anchor, though.

Well, IMMI isn't willing to risk the law suit then.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC