travelling to europe/european britax seats?

danielle.nichole

Senior Community Member
Ok, I have a friend on another board who travels to Holland a couple of times a year and is looking to purchase a couple of seats and leave them there for her kiddos. Her kids are 3yo and FFing in a Regent and 4 mos and riding in a SS1.

What do ya'll think would be good options for her to buy in Holland and leave there for the kids? She wants to keep the baby RFing as long as possible, but I am not sure of the weight limits and stuff for the European seats. She is also considering bringing a couple of seats from the US and leaving them in Holland. (They have an Triumph, not advance, that they could take and leave, and they also have a Marathon that they could leave there as well.)

3yo will use a CARES harness for the flight (can those be used on international flights?), and baby will probably be in his SS1 for the next trip.

Friend says that the car they will be using in Holland is about the size of a Corolla. (waiting to hear back to see if she actually knows what kind of car it is)

TIA!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Maybe a Britax Multi-Tech or Two-Way for the older child (although I don't think the Two-way would rear-face easily in a Corolla, but perhaps it would, it would forward-face fine) and then and Hi-Way or Secura for the younger child? Look into those seats and see if they fit the children's needs.

-Nicole.

danielle.nichole

Senior Community Member
So it looks like they might be bringing their Marathon for the baby (he's a big baby btw, 21lbs at 4 months old) and will only be needing a seat for the 3 yo.

The 3 y/o is already forward facing, and weighs 34lbs, what kind of weight limits do the multi-tech & two-way have? (RFing and FFing) What are the differences between the Multi-Tech and the Two-Way?

hopster67

Absolutely bring a seat from the US for the baby. Apparently EU regs allow for FF at 9 months and/or 9 kgs (approximately 20 lbs) so almost all the seats are designed for FF at that point. I couldn't find a seat that RF'd after 9 kgs here in Turkey, and my internet research seemed to confirm that they weren't available in Western Europe either (I was trying to find one to import).

Good Luck and Happy Travels!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Things are getting better in Europe, but rear facing seats outside of Scandinavia tend to have very low weight limits (13 kg/28.6 lb).

She should check out the Kindersitztest done by ÖAMTC.

hopster67

Eri, that looks a lot like my seat - a Maxi-Cosi Priori. Unfortunately, they FF. I heard Scandanavia was getting better, maybe Danielle's friend will have luck there. I'd still bring one from the US - it will serve her well on the airplane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC