Graco Snugride vs. Chicco Keyfit vs. Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP

LCC

I am absolutely torn between the Graco Snugride, Chicco Keyfit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP infant car seats. I am having my first baby and do not know which car seat to buy. I have the Peg Perego Pliko P3 stroller, but I have no probem buying the Graco Snugride car seat frame stroller too. Any advice?

ADS

minismom

I am absolutely torn between the Graco Snugride, Chicco Keyfit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP infant car seats. I am having my first baby and do not know which car seat to buy. I have the Peg Perego Pliko P3 stroller, but I have no probem buying the Graco Snugride car seat frame stroller too. Any advice?

Keyfit, hands down! The keyfit and the Graco Safeseat 1 are the big favorites here. The Peg is way too overpriced for what it is. The Snugride is a good seat too, if you're looking to spend less, but the keyfit has more features and is easier to install. It has aligator style latch connectors, which are easier to hook and unhook. It has built in lock off if you install with the seat belt. And fits tiny babies really well and it now goes to 30lbs. It's a great seat! It works with the Graco stroller frame, although it doesn't actually snap, it fits in it pretty secure. If you want a Graco seat I'd get the SS1 instead of the snugride, though.

steph

Chicco Keyfit all the way - it will actually fit in your Peg Perego Pliko P3, it just won't "snap" but it's secure. I actually bought that combination on purpose because I wanted the Keyfit but the Peg Stroller - it worked great.
I bought the Keyfit in Explorer and had the Peg in toffee and it match great.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
If you decide to go with the Graco or Chicco seat, all you need to do is call Peg Perego (800) 671-1701 (www.pegperego.com) with your stroller information and they will send you an adapter strap for when you use your seat and stroller together.
Michelle:)

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
If it is a new Peg, it should come with the adapter strap.

Hi Judi,
You would think, but when I called to ask a question about the Peg that a group of us were getting as a gift for our friend, the customer service rep. told me that my friend would need to call for one and they would ship it to her free of charge.

steph

My peg was a 2006 and it came with a strap but to be honest I never used it, the seat fit snugly in there and I wasn't off roading with the stroller so it wasn't an issue;).

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would go with the Peg myself. I loved mine sooo much and I love that it has true SIP. I bought a SS1 after my son outgrew his PP SIP (before the 30/30 limits) and it was so cheap and flimsy compared to the Peg. I think it is worth the extra $100 for the Peg if you have it but I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a Keyfit as I love that seat also.

magoose

Not the Graco Snugride but the Graco Safe Seat 1 with a stroller base. Anna

U

Unregistered

If big kids run in your family I would steer you way from the Peg.

Our son has just grown out of his at 6 months (it was the older 22 lb/30" limit), but it was too heavy to carry him in from 4 months on. The seat itself without the base is almost 10 lbs. If you factor in a kid in the 95% - thats a lot to lug around.

My husband used it in his car for a while, but left the seat in the base at all times. I thought I was just being wimpy until he stopped taking the seat out of the base too.

U

Unregistered

CHICCO, hands down!!

My husband and I are expecting our first baby and just went and bought a Keyfit 30. I've not even got to use it yet and I just can't seem to live without already.
The PEG is way to expensive for something that's not going to be used that long, and I absolutely hate the PEG base.
The graco Snugride is nice, and will fit in such things as a shopping cart and stuff, but the Chicco is just great.
The cons to the Chicco however are that, like I already stated, they won't fit in a shopping cart seat basket like most and have to be sat in the basket area, but I figure if you're going shopping long enough to need the baby seat then you going to be getting a lot I'm sure and don't need you baby in the cart at all, put him/her in a nice sling and carry them, or get a sitter, lol.
The other con to the Chicco is the sunvisor. It is so darn short, but the Keyfit 30 has a little more mesh material added on to it to make it work for baby.
Even with those cons though I bought it, and like I said I already love it.

We got both the strollers to go with it as well, the Trevi and the Cortina. My husband drives a truck so the Trevi slides right in the floorboard between the back and front seats. Plus, it's great for the outdoors, and when we do go anywhere outdoors like we take the truck, so the Trevi will be great. And the Cortina is rather large, but fits in the trunk of my car (2007 Toyota Camry) pretty well.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Even if the infant seems to clip onto the top of a shopping cart, current seats haven't been specifically designed to do so, and the infant seat instructions and labeling on the seats themselves strongly warn against using them atop a shopping cart. The infant seat can fall off the top of the cart all too easily if it's jostled by anyone, or turned sharply. It's generally pretty difficult for anyone other than a fairly tall person to see over and around the infant seat to properly steer the cart and avoid obstacles in its path. Having the infant seat atop the cart also makes the shopping cart top heavy and much more prone to tipping. Someone else who has it saved can probably link to an informative AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) warning against infant seats atop shopping carts with some injury statistics to back up the caveats. Edited to add: Here's the AAP link about shopping carts: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/aug06shoppingcart.htm

Safer alternatives, as previously mentioned, would be to wear/sling the baby or put the infant seat down in the main part of the shopping cart, and use the shelf under the cart and the top basket to hold groceries.

N

Newmom2be

I too am torn between the Chicco Keyfit and the Graco Snugride. It seems based on safety alone though the Snugride wins-- here's a link to an article I found on CNN.com that shows that the Graco Snugride is one of only two seats to pass infant car seat crash test.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/01/04/car_seats/index.html

Also, I would like the option to purchase a stroller frame carrier for short trips, airport, etc. when I don't want to carry the larger travel system stroller. I contacted Chicco customer service, and here is the reply I received.

"At this time the keyfit infant seats are not compatible with any of the
stroller frames on the market at this time."

Melody Barker
Chicco USA Customer Service

As you are probably aware, the Graco Snug Ride fits with the Graco Stroller frame, which is very light and easy to use according to the reviews.

I respect all other opinions, but I wanted to share my findings concerning both options that I was considering and debating over as well.

Lauren

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, and welcome. When used correctly, the Snugride and the KeyFit are both safe choices as they both meet all federally mandated safety standards. :) The Consumer Reports infant seat testing referenced in the linked article in your post was quickly retracted by Consumer Reports a couple of weeks later due to serious flaws in their side impact crash testing procedures. Details on Consumer Reports and the issues with their child restraint ratings can be viewed at this link: http://www.carseatsite.com/cr.htm and in the FAQ link at the top of this forum. A later, revised infant seat article published by Consumer Reports in May '07 rated the KeyFit fairly highly, although the Snugride is also a perfectly acceptable choice, just not quite as installation friendly. The KeyFit has an awesome built-in lockoff in the base, while the Snugride base often needs a separate, metal H-shaped locking clip when installed with a lap-shoulder belt to prevent the base from tilting.

AlisonR80

we have a chicco keyfit and I LOVE it! It fits so securely in my minivan and is a very user-friendly car seat. The car seat is heavy though and yes, you do need to put it in the shopping cart basket like someone already mentioned. It's safer that way anyhow. My 17 lb 8 m.o. still fits nicely in the keyfit. We got it as part of a travel system with the Cortina stroller....love that too!:thumbsup:

jewlsvern

Just a note, if you decide on the Snugride (I have it and I love it. I find it very easy to use) Baby Trend makes a stroller frame that the snugride fits on very easily and it is $10 cheaper that the Graco version. I have both the frame and the Graco Quattro Tour stroller. i love having the frame for quick errands and school pick ups, but I do use the larger stroller for longer trips or when I am going to be gone all day (at a theme park) and need to carry more with me.

U

Unregistered

If you decide to go with the Graco or Chicco seat, all you need to do is call Peg Perego (800) 671-1701 (www.pegperego.com) with your stroller information and they will send you an adapter strap for when you use your seat and stroller together.
Michelle:)

Thanks, this was helpful info. However, please be aware that it is only true for certain models and the info is VERY hard to find. I was told that because my model is older it won't work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC