Kia Sedona?

agurlsride

Ok so we're looking at this 03 Sedona and for the life of me I could not find the middle belt in the third row...I have to go back to the dealer and dig around cuz right now it seriously looks like a 6 seater. ANYWAY...for those of you who are Sedona owners..how do you like the van? Are there any seats that install well in the middle position of the third row (lap belt only). For 2 months out of the year I will need to fit three across back there...a husky 10yr old, a Parkway and a harnessed seat. Any suggestions?

ADS

firemomof3

I have a 2003 Sedona with the 4 captain seats. In the second row seats I have a Recaro Young Sport installed w/latch & tether and a Graco Nautilus installed with lap/shoulder belt & tether. In the third row(passenger side) i have a Britax Wizard RF with lap/shoulder belt & tether. All installs are rock solid.
Now, the problem with the Kia is that in the 3rd row drivers side there isn't a tether and the 3rd row doesn't have latch. Also, the third row's seat belt has a long stalk making it impossible to install some seats. So far I have found that I cannot install the Regent, EFTD, and safeguard go booster.
The van has about 84K miles. We have kept up with all the scheduled maintence and it runs beautifully. But, the sunroof has never worked, emergency brake handle broke twice (still broken) and the side sliding doors freeze up a lot and they are tough to open because they dont line up. But other than the little things its been great. Here are some pictures of the car seats, and the second picture is of the Wizard installed in the 3rd row with the seat belt stalk twisted to make it fit! I have found that the Marathon and Roundabout install in the 3rd row well.
carseatinstal002.jpg

carseat003.jpg

agurlsride

Now, the problem with the Kia is that in the 3rd row drivers side there isn't a tether and the 3rd row doesn't have latch. Also, the third row's seat belt has a long stalk making it impossible to install some seats. So far I have found that I cannot install the Regent, EFTD, and safeguard go booster.

Hmm...so do you think I'm going to find anything that fits? I was hoping to get a Radian or Nautilus for that middle position. I have to put someone back there and it obviously has to be a harnessed seat. Have you tried putting the GN in that position? I'm guessing it wouldn't leave much room for the passengers on either side. According to the specs though, it is supposed to have 65+in. of hip room.
BTW...I love the way that YS looks...I wish I could afford one, I know they only harness to 40lbs but with the size of my kids (my 8yr old is 45lbs and his 6yr old sister is barely 41lbs) I dont think it would be a problem with my younger 2.

firemomof3

Ya, the Young Sport is a very comfortable seat. Mine is actually up for sale on craigslist because I bought a Marathon for my 2y/o so she could go back to RF. I have heard that it is difficult to instal the Radian with a long belt stalk, but I've never tried one. The GN would instal in the 3rd row yes, but I don't know about the middle. I never have the 3rd. row drivers side seat in the vehicle because it takes up too much space and I have a large dog that usually rides there!

agurlsride

Ya, the Young Sport is a very comfortable seat. Mine is actually up for sale on craigslist because I bought a Marathon for my 2y/o so she could go back to RF. I have heard that it is difficult to instal the Radian with a long belt stalk, but I've never tried one. The GN would instal in the 3rd row yes, but I don't know about the middle. I never have the 3rd. row drivers side seat in the vehicle because it takes up too much space and I have a large dog that usually rides there!
Hmmmm....how much are you selling the YS for?
Do you think if you pulled the 3rd row seats forward (shortening the buckle stalk) that it would help with the install? I'm thinking though, if I have the seats all the way back the buckle stalk might end up behind the car seat and not in the belt path...do you know what I mean? Therefore making installation possible in that middle position.

Synchro246

I did an "article" about mine http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=35693 Firemom, you should add to it :)

I have 2nd row bench and 3rd row split bench so I wouldn't be intalling a seat in the middle. I do think that it's possible if you don't have a split bench. There's plenty of room between any two seats when I install them outboard in the third row.
As for the missing belt: is it the buckle that's missing? Mine has disappeared a few times and I've had to remove the seat and fish in with my hands thru the hole in the seat and thru the bottom to get it. It's a tight squeeze and a PITA.

firemom-- have you tried moving the seats all the way forword before installing? It shortens the buckle stalk in my third row when I do that :twocents: My Regent installs really well LBP back there. I've gotten my EFTA back there too, it takes considerably more work and the seat needs to be all the way forword & three buckle stalk twists to do it though.
For both seats I have to recline the vehicle seatback to tighten the install all the way then put them upright again.

Overall I really like the van. I think it has awesome visibility. I like the way it handles. I purchaced mine from an old dude who didn't change the timing belt and TENSIONER at the prescribed time. 11K miles later (at something like 76Kmiles) they failed and the motor was ruined. So mine now has a motor from an 2004. It's got 95K miles on the ODO and maybe 55K miles on the motor. We've had no issues. Oh, we have one issue-- the airbag light is on :eek: I'm scared go to the dealership and have that delt with :eek:

agurlsride

I did an "article" about mine http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=35693 Firemom, you should add to it :)

I have 2nd row bench and 3rd row split bench so I wouldn't be intalling a seat in the middle. I do think that it's possible if you don't have a split bench. There's plenty of room between any two seats when I install them outboard in the third row.
As for the missing belt: is it the buckle that's missing? Mine has disappeared a few times and I've had to remove the seat and fish in with my hands thru the hole in the seat and thru the bottom to get it. It's a tight squeeze and a PITA.

firemom-- have you tried moving the seats all the way forword before installing? It shortens the buckle stalk in my third row when I do that :twocents: I've gotten my EFTA back there too, it takes considerably more work and the seat needs to be all the way forword & three buckle stalk twists to do it though.
For both seats I have to recline the vehicle seatback to tighten the install all the way then put them upright again.

Overall I really like the van. I think it has awesome visibility. I like the way it handles. I purchaced mine from an old dude who didn't change the timing belt and TENSIONER at the prescribed time. 11K miles later (at something like 76Kmiles) they failed and the motor was ruined. So mine now has a motor from an 2004. It's got 95K miles on the ODO and maybe 55K miles on the motor. We've had no issues. Oh, we have one issue-- the airbag light is on :eek: I'm scared go to the dealership and have that delt with :eek:

Awesome...thank you!
I'll check out your article.
In the car that we looked at, both the buckle stock and the seatbelt that are M.I.A. It looks like a 2 seater third row...I almost passed it up because we need a van that seats 7. My DH was doing some research last night and said he could not find anything that said there was ever a 6 seater Sedona made so I figure the belt must be lost underneath the seat somewhere.
This van that we are looking at has almost 78k miles but we really have only owned 3 vehicles with less than 60K miles (we have owned lots of cars). The car we just traded in was a Jeep Cherokee with 167k for a Montero with 95k...someday we'll be able to afford something brand new but at least I dont do a lot of driving.

Synchro246

Awesome...thank you!
I'll check out your article.
In the car that we looked at, both the buckle stock and the seatbelt that are M.I.A. It looks like a 2 seater third row...I almost passed it up because we need a van that seats 7. My DH was doing some research last night and said he could not find anything that said there was ever a 6 seater Sedona made so I figure the belt must be lost underneath the seat somewhere.

Your welcome. I'm sure the belt could get lost in the slot too, mine just hasn't done that :) I hope you have small hands ;)
Is the one you're looking at a split bench or a full bench? I wondered if a full bench was available.

firemomof3

Oh my goodness, I don't think I ever thought of pulling the seat forward!:doh:
I'll go out and try that. I sold my Regent :crying: and I have bought 2 different seat since then.

firemomof3

O.K. I just went out and checked. The seat belt is actually a part of the seat so moving the seat forward or backward wouldn't make a difference. Here is a picture of what I mean, I had to take the picture at a slant so it looks a little "off"
carseatinstal003.jpg

agurlsride

Your welcome. I'm sure the belt could get lost in the slot too, mine just hasn't done that :) I hope you have small hands ;)
Is the one you're looking at a split bench or a full bench? I wondered if a full bench was available.

Its a split bench...:-0
Do you think a Como would work in the middle? It has such a tall base...maybe the buckle stalk wouldn't be a problem

firemomof3

Hmmmm....how much are you selling the YS for?
Do you think if you pulled the 3rd row seats forward (shortening the buckle stalk) that it would help with the install? I'm thinking though, if I have the seats all the way back the buckle stalk might end up behind the car seat and not in the belt path...do you know what I mean? Therefore making installation possible in that middle position.

Well, I payed $250 for the Young Sport, so I'd like to get what I can for it. I'm not sure what to ask for it? Its DOM is 10/06

Synchro246

O.K. I just went out and checked. The seat belt is actually a part of the seat so moving the seat forward or backward wouldn't make a difference.
Mine are part of the seat, well they're part of the base of the vehicle seat. The vehicle seat moves on rails above the base.
:)
I didn't realize that this happened until last weekend when I was cursing and moaning trying to install the EFTA & happened upon this "feature".

Its a split bench...:-0
Do you think a Como would work in the middle? It has such a tall base...maybe the buckle stalk wouldn't be a problem

Are we allowed to install over a split bench? I thought it wasn't allowed. . .or I ASSumed it wasn't :eek: I can try a combo of the Regent, the Roundabout and the EFTA today--or at least this weekend. I do think you could fit three though.

agurlsride

Are we allowed to install over a split bench? I thought it wasn't allowed. . .or I ASSumed it wasn't :eek: I can try a combo of the Regent, the Roundabout and the EFTA today--or at least this weekend. I do think you could fit three though.

Gosh, I dont know...I would think its ok but without the manual in front of me, I'm just not sure. I know it can be done with the Caravan.

Synchro246

Ok, so I went out there to do a cursory looksee about fitting the Reg, EFTA, and RA next to eachother and it's not going to happen (at least, I don't *think* it's possible with these particular seats) What I can do is do the Regent and Roundabout next to eachother and take a pic of the outboard position so you can see how much room is left.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I corresponded with a Kia Sedona owner yesterday who tried a Regent in the 3rd row, but it would not fit. They were using a Safeguard Go, and were off to try a Nautilus yesterday. I saw a picture of that belt stalk in the third row - even twisted three times it was VERY long.

agurlsride

Ok, so I went out there to do a cursory looksee about fitting the Reg, EFTA, and RA next to eachother and it's not going to happen (at least, I don't *think* it's possible with these particular seats) What I can do is do the Regent and Roundabout next to eachother and take a pic of the outboard position so you can see how much room is left.

Hmm...So if the EFTA was in the lapbelt only position in the third row...is there much room on either side? I was thinking of this seat for my ds if I can't raise the funds for a BV.

Synchro246

Hmm...So if the EFTA was in the lapbelt only position in the third row...is there much room on either side? I was thinking of this seat for my ds if I can't raise the funds for a BV.

Will it be RF or FF? I'm pretty sure a Parkway would fit either way, but I'm not sure about a Regent.

I have a short base 2007 Kia Sedona and have been able to fit my regent in the 3rd row, but I keep it in my second row(captains chair) to give my 5 year old more leg room.

Why is the seat belt stalk twisted I am confused????

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC