Help me decide which seat!

Shaunam

I've decided I have to put Charlie up front. I would love to not even have to make this decision, but, well, life isn't fair. LOL The mirror didn't work. I have to take my eyes off the road for too long to get a really good look at her since she looks tiny in the mirror.

I want something good and sturdy, but that I'll be able to see over/around. I have a friend who said she's sell me her gently used safeseat1 which would be perfect for seeing over but I don't feel would be the sturdiest. I would love a boulevard, but I probably wouldn't be able to see the other cars on the road with that beast in my car! A diplomat would be more practical, but Charlie's got a huge torso, so that might be a waste of money.

Any ideas?

ADS

steph

Can you get your hands on a Recaro Como or Signo to try and see how much it blocks your view? It is such a deep seat, it may work.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
From my experience using both, the Signo/Como blocks more of my rear passenger side view in DH's car than a RF Blvd. and it's also harder for me to glance back and see DD2. The depth of the sides of the Como and Signo's shells, and their height and more upright posture RF, will block more of your passenger side view, and probably a significant portion of your view to the front along the right side of the road. The depth/shape of the Como/Signo could also make it harder for you to see adorable baby Charlie. :twocents:

If there's a BRU in your area, you could try out convertible seat display models in the car before deciding. It may be hard to find a Como at BRU for a while, though, due to last week's Como and Signo harness splitter plate recall.

arly1983

I worry alot about putting Charlie in a BV. The headrest is raised and worry that would would cause her swollowing issues to worsen. Back when you first posted this, it worried me.

mominabigtruck

I know this sounds really weird, but what if you could find a combi avatar. It is a beast of a seat but has a really nice recline and deep wings with eps foam and installs really well with built in lock offs. My dh used it in the semi when Peyton outgrew his embrace because the seat is so low profile when its reclined it didn't block his view out the window.

I don't know if it interests you or if you've ever seen on but if you're interested I can link you to my photobucket and I've got pics of one with Peyton in it when he was about Charlie's size.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What about a Radian? Easy to see Charlie, easy to get the 45 degree recline.

What kind of vehicle is it again? Did you get the airbag turned off or are you using a vehicle that was made before airbags?

Shaunam

We don't have our new car yet, but as soon as we get it, we will have the airbags disabled. I'm not concerned about the swallowing issues in a boulevard/diplomat. One of the things therapists do to help people with brain injuries learn to swallow again is have them put their chin toward their chest. How does it push their head forward anyways? I tried my son in one and it didn't look like it pushed his head forward. :confused:

Where would I get a combi avatar?

I'm *thisclose* to buying a diplomat though. They are on sale and I figure by the time she outgrows it rf'ing, she might be swalllowing better and I could put her back in the back in her ETA. It's such a short seat, but she probably has at least a year in it. Her therapist said most kids don't need to be suctioned for very long...they are usually swallowing well by 1-2.

Shaunam

What about a Radian? Easy to see Charlie, easy to get the 45 degree recline.

What kind of vehicle is it again? Did you get the airbag turned off or are you using a vehicle that was made before airbags?

I want something with more SIP. The radian is a nice seat, but I just don't feel it would surround her enough. And it is SO tall!

mominabigtruck

I found one here:http://www.123safe.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-1361020BB.html?E+scstore

That's waaay more then I paid for mine, I bought it new on ebay from an overstock store:whistle:

This is it installed rfing in a 98 caravan with a seatbelt. I'm pretty sure it's reclined all the way.
DCFN0001.jpg

Shaunam

I ended up getting a diplomat! I've never made a car seat decision so quickly before, but I didn't want to miss the britax sale. LOL I'm loving this seat! I know it doesn't last nearly as long as the higher weight seats, but it's good for our situation right now and that's what matters most, right? And actually, I think it might last longer rf'ing than I originally thought. When I tried DS in one at babies r us about 4 months ago, he couldn't fit in it rf'ing (head about 2 inches above the top when harness was right at his shoulders) and he only had a smidge of growing room ff'ing. But in the one we bought, he's just over the harness (a smidge), but his head is about two inches below the top of the headrest. Is that weird? He has more room in that than in the ETA. His head is about even with the top of that seat.

Anyways, I think it'll actually last Charlie quite a while and when she outgrows it rf'ing, we'll just buy something new. Oh the horror! Having to shop for and buy a new seat! LOL I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to car seats. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC