carseat for large child

U

Unregistered

my son just turned 3.He has been large since birth and in a booster since age 1.His weight has stablized at 50 lbs.He has been this weight since 1 1/2 now.However I have him in a booster seat.I know this is not safe but it is what his dr told me to do.We have check local stores and such but the carseats may hold 100lbs but the harness goes to 40lbs.Any suggestions?I am a broke single mom of 2

ADS

skaterbabs

You'll need to register to reply.

You're correct, a booster is not appropriate for him, but you have options. The Graco Nautilus would be the first thing I would suggest as it has high harness slots and a 65 lb limit on the harness. As his weight has stabilized, you should have time before he outgrows it. It's about $150. If you have a vehicle with a tall seatback (like captain's chairs) or head rests, the Cosco Apex ($130) is also an option.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh goodness! There are several seats that harness past 40 pounds.

For $110 there's the Apex 65. It has 17.5" top slots, a 65 pound internal harness weight and 100 pounds as a booster. http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stap65boc1.html

For $150 there's the Graco Nautilus. 19" top slots, 65 pound harness limit, 100 pounds as a high back and then a low back booster.

Can your budget go beyond that? There are others, though honestly the Nautilus would be my favorite, even among those priced more.

You can also apply to the Kyle Miller Foundation. They help families in need like yourself. Kyle Miller was killed in a car collision, and the family has started the foundation to help keep children in five point harnesses longer. http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/3007/Apply_for_Help.htm

I'd point you toward your local health department, but they'd probably put him in a booster, since I doubt they have anything that harnesses past 40 pounds.

Wendy

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
But post your zip code, if you are comfortable doing that. Maybe someone here is in a coalition with resources to help you. Or look at my username - if you live near my area, we have higher weight seats available in our program.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC