Do you have a tech kit??

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ihave had people tell me thier child weighed 39 lbs and when I get there it is obvous they do not. That particular child only weighed 33.5 lbs. I now always have a scale.

I know what Piper weighs, and I've been uncannily accurate lifting other children and comparing them to her. As she gets closer to the 40 pound mark it'll be harder to tell, but for now I can just lift them and see how close they are to Piper. I'm usually within 0.5 to 1 pound.

Wendy

ADS

ThreeBeans

I know what Piper weighs, and I've been uncannily accurate lifting other children and comparing them to her. As she gets closer to the 40 pound mark it'll be harder to tell, but for now I can just lift them and see how close they are to Piper. I'm usually within 0.5 to 1 pound.

Wendy

This :)

I spent years estimating weights of kids in the ambulance. Pretty much all pedi drugs are weight-based, and we don't have the luxury of a nice little scale the way they do in the hossy. So you have to be good at guesstimating. Even then, BK (Before Kids), I was pretty accurate. Now that I have my own, I'm also always right within a pound or two.

cdncasper

So if I call MPI, will they give me a kit? I don't usually do checks with them, do to distance but I still send all my forms into them.

I got mine from Shauna Neiser, so call and see if she will give you one. I do quite a few checks with her including the new ones that we do once a month at the Claim Center.

waterbaby

My instructors suggested hemastat forceps to hold the belt while you put the locking clip on. Only problem is, if the parents don't have them, how are they suppose to repeat the installation, kwim? So, I'm kind of waffling back and forth on getting some.

skaterbabs

I'm pretty good at guestimating weight too - shocked the heck out of lady in the grocery store the other day when I eyeballed her kid at 18 pounds and he'd just been to the ped.-> 17.5 lbs.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My instructors suggested hemastat forceps to hold the belt while you put the locking clip on. Only problem is, if the parents don't have them, how are they suppose to repeat the installation, kwim? So, I'm kind of waffling back and forth on getting some.

Chalk. ;) Draw a nice line across the sides of the belt, then you can just make sure you're lining up the chalk lines when you go to put the locking clip on.

Although I've never had problems with really needing to use that trick, I just hold it and sometimes tighten the belt just a tiny bit before rebuckling it and it's almost always fine - sometimes too tight, but not usually. :thumbsup:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Chalk. ;) Draw a nice line across the sides of the belt, then you can just make sure you're lining up the chalk lines when you go to put the locking clip on.

Although I've never had problems with really needing to use that trick, I just hold it and sometimes tighten the belt just a tiny bit before rebuckling it and it's almost always fine - sometimes too tight, but not usually. :thumbsup:

Great Idea!! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC