Who's buying/bought a Nautilus just for the harness?

mamaofthree

I'm planning on getting the Nautilus for my 6 yo, for the harness height. But when she outgrows the harness I plan on getting her a LATCHable booster like the Monterey or something not so heavy if it doesn't LATCH. Am I weird for not wanting such a heavy unLATCHed booster? I'm not basing this on any research, just my instincts. If someone has data to ease my paranoia, please share. Or if you are having the same thoughts about it I'd love to hear it.

Kimberly

ADS

Jacks

We bought the GN as a spare seat strictly for the harness. We may use it as a spare booster but it is sooooo heavy. I will fork out the $ for a latchable booster for sure.

TerisBoys

I've had similar thoughts about the weight of the Nauti (after dropping it on my toe - OWIE).

I love that it will harness my youngest for at least another year (possibly 2 - his 8yo brother would still fit in it). And that it's not QUITE as big a behemoth as the Regent.

LATCH-ability isn't an option in my van right now regardless.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I think that's a fine idea (only using it harnessed)... It's nothing new, though...back when there were fewer decent choices, the Cargo and Chase were always recommended as just harnessed seats because they are such lackluster boosters. Though at least this one becomes a good backless... some other kid in the family might love it, so it's potentially got more usability :thumbsup:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, I also bought the Nautilus strictly for the high harness option. The fact that it turns into a booster is nice, but incidental.

When the time comes for a booster, I'll get one that LATCHes, unless Graco has allowed it with the Nautilus (retroactively) by that point. Who knows?

ZephyrBlue

Me. I bought it to replace my 7.5yo's Regent. We have no plans to use it as a booster; I'm a bit of a booster snob and want something with much better SIP and I want LATCH for a big heavy booster. We'll be using the Monterey when she outgrows the harness, provided it's as nice as I'm imagining ;)

ktmo

I think we will use the Nautilus strictly for the harness. When we are ready for a booster, I will probably get a designated booster. Between my two girls, we should be able to use it as a harnessed seat for the next six years.

Katie

Yoshi

Yeah....Graco would have to OK LATCH/tether in Booster mode for me to use it as a booster. I just want DD to get to about age 7 in the harness. No Regent for us, we had one and it was overkill.

bp2002

Im not really sure what Im going to do. I think I'll wait to decide when I see what boosters are around when C outgrows the GN. He still has another set of slots to go, so Im thinking we will make another 2 or so years before I have to decide...

Are there any latchable boosters other than the jane and not yet really out, monterey?

sb518

Just for the harness here. I don't like the radians at all and the regents are just too huge for the minimal use I need the seat for. I thought about a booster seat but ended up with the GN for the fact that's it can be used as a booster as well.

U

Unregistered

Those were my thoughts exactly -- I want to keep my 5-year old son in a 5-point harness for as long as possible. But I also was hoping to use the LATCH system in my car for longer too, but that is not the case.

Just thought some of you should know that before you buy a LATCHable booster seat, check with your vehicle owner's manual first because most vehicles have a limit of 50lbs. That means, once your child reaches 50lbs or more, you can no longer use the LATCH system in your car.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks for chiming in about the issue of LATCH weight limits. :) The vehicle's lower LATCH anchor weight limit varies by vehicle manufacturer and it's typically 40 or 48 lbs., not 50 lbs. in most cases, with a few higher or lower exceptions. For reference/clarification, this chart from the LATCH manual lists LATCH weight limits by vehicle manufacturer: http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf

firemomof3

I'm in the same boat. I will pass my GN onto my younger children once my 4y/o outgrows it, I plan on getting her the new Monterey!

Qarin

Just thought some of you should know that before you buy a LATCHable booster seat, check with your vehicle owner's manual first because most vehicles have a limit of 50lbs. That means, once your child reaches 50lbs or more, you can no longer use the LATCH system in your car.

but in the case of a belt-positioning booster seat that uses LATCH, the only thing the LATCH system is holding is the booster seat- the child is held by the vehicle's seatbelt. so unless the LATCHable booster seat in question is itself over the vehicle's LATCH limit (some are 40lbs, by the way), this is a non-issue.

finleysmommy

If I were to buy it it would be just for the harness. I'm not great at planning ahead though so that could have something to do with it.

zactayaus

I bought our GN mainly for the harness because my ds' old seat expired and a needed an affordable hwh seat. He is 36lbs and I could not justify buying another 40lb limit seat. Anyway I don't know if I will be using it as a booster unless they ok it with latch because it is so heavy. I have at least another 2 or 3 years before I need to make that decision ds only has a 15" torso and he's 4.11yo.

katiesmommy

Depends, for me, on if Britax discontinues the Regent, and exactly how high the top slot of the frontier is. If it happens like we think it's happening and the Frontier is actually 18.25-18.5, then yes, I will be getting a nautilis for the harness only.

zactayaus

Depends, for me, on if Britax discontinues the Regent, and exactly how high the top slot of the frontier is. If it happens like we think it's happening and the Frontier is actually 18.25-18.5, then yes, I will be getting a nautilis for the harness only.

The specs on the frontier spoiler thread (sorry I don't know how to put it here) says the top slots are 18.25". You can also view the specs on hipmonkey's website and safe and secure's website (again sorry I don't know how to put them in here).

megabloxs

I'm buying it because the little one has nearly outgrown the MA and I want to keep her harnessed, and the Regent is far too big for my little car.

She will be harnessed for ages in that seat too.

katiesmommy

The specs on the frontier spoiler thread (sorry I don't know how to put it here) says the top slots are 18.25". You can also view the specs on hipmonkey's website and safe and secure's website (again sorry I don't know how to put them in here).

Yeah, I know, but I won't trust the specs until someone buys it and measures it and then posted the pictures here. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC