move my 5yr old to booster?

mom22

Hi all...

here's my dilemma, my daughter with winter coat/boot ect is now 40.5lbs and now too heavy for harness mode in Recaro Young sport. What do I do...move her into booster mode or transfer her into her younger brother's MA. Would need to check shoulder height and what about her sitting higher in the car due to base...more body in window area... although car does have side air bags.

Other options would be to purchase Regent or Nautilus to keep her lower in the car and still have her 5pt harness.

I think she is ready for booster (maturity level is there), I'm just not sure I'm ready yet, especially with how much we drive. At what point should I think about moving her to a booster, is it time.

Thank-you for any advice you may have.

ADS

mominabigtruck

Well first of all, she really shouldn't be wearing a coat that heavy in the car. If its big enough that its causing a difference in the way her harness fits then its too big. There should only be a thin layer of clothing between the child and the harness to prevent compression in an accident.

That being said, whether you put her in a booster or not is up to you. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my 40lb child in a booster but I do let my 5 yo ride in a booster. If you feel she's safe enough in the young sport and sits well enough in it then that's your personal decision to make. I've just never had to make the decision because my 5 yo is 56lbs.

MommyBoha

My almost 5 year old is 38 lbs. He is in a regent. Im not comfortable letting him ride in a booster even occasionally. The Nautilus would be a good seat.

mom22

Just to clarify...

Her coat is not puffy, it doesn't affect the way her harness fits; I 'm still getting a good fit...it's strictly a weight issue when bundled. I live in the upper midwest and when you factor it's on aveage 15-20 degrees outside daily; moving her in and out of coat with snow and windfactors it just isn't practical with thin layers for protection in that kind of weather.

RJB78

CPST Instructor
I live in Maine with the same daily temperatures, and my children and I are fine in fleece with hats and mittens. I just make sure I warm the van up before we get in it. When they play outside, they don't wear fleece, but errands like gym class and storytime, etc, when we're just outside for less than a minute, fleece is perfectly fine. It's doable! :)

mominabigtruck

I live in Ohio so I know all about cold weather, it was 6 degrees here the other day. Still doesn't change the fact that anything more then a fleece isn't safe. If with her coat on you have to adjust her harness from how it fits without her coat on then its too thick.

momof2kiddos

I *personally* would be okay with my 5 yr old 40 pounder in a booster,as long as she can sit properly the entire time.

But that is just me,So since you said your not ready then I would either get a Gn or a regent.

mom22

OK...I understand what the two of you are saying about the weather and dressing in thinner layers..but again fit with the harness is not the question I'm seeking answers and adivce for. I believe it's a weigh issue, she's over 40 lbs with boots and clothes on. With a fleece and shirt/pants and boots my guess is she would be right around 40 lbs. The limit for the harness mode on the Recaro.

So lets take the winter dressing out of the picture...lets say my daughter gains a half pound over the next few months due a growth spurt (w/o clothes is currently 39.6 lbs). My dilemma and question would be the same.

Again thank-you for any advice.

mominabigtruck

It's up to you whether or not you think she can sit correctly every single time. The young sport makes a really good booster, so I'm ok with it from that angle. My 5 yo still won't sit still all the time so I only let him use a booster on short trips.

But if you have the option of harnessing her, since you could just switch your kids seats then I'd do that. Of course I'm assuming that your younger child is ffing, if not just ignore everything I just said:eek:

ginny4

i feel i'm gonna run into a simialr situation. by time DD outgrows her current seats apex & FPSVD at guessing 5yo or so would i move her to a booster or go get the Nautilus or something to get her a lil further. so not sure. i'd love to hear what everyone says about it

momof2kiddos

Just wanted ot add not sure but from the looks of your first post purchasig a HWH seat would not be a promblem?If not then I say purchase one to keep her harnessed,BUT if you can't afford to again *I* would be okay with putting her in a booster,but typially I would like to see her still harnessed.But I am not a tech :p Just a mommy:)

TerisBoys

Assuming your younger child is FF - I'd switch them at least temporarily. See how she fits in the MA (and vice versa). That will give you time to get a higher weight harness seat OR make the decision to booster her.

I'm also in the Midwest. The way the weather has been lately and the state of the roads is also a factor in my thoughts. Kids are safer in a 5 point harness. I just bought a Nautilus for my 5yo to replace a HWH seat that was expiring. A) he's not mature enough and B) the wacko drivers seem to come out this time of year.

ETA - the top slots on the MA and YS are about the same. If she still fits in the YS heightwise, she should fit in the MA.

momtoBrennan

I'm not sure what the concern is with her sitting up higher either. actually sitting up higher is not a safety concern. One of the reasons the Britax seats are on a fairly tall base is because it helps to raise the child up and out of the crush zones.

My ds wb five in April & is riding in a Regent in the main vehicle and the Blvd in MIL's car (she's our dcp). He is 41lbs and getting close to outgrowing the BV by height so I will need to make a similar decision soon as to what to do in her car so I feel your pain there. Buy another Regent or Nautilus (or maybe a Ride Safer Travel Vest since it would be handy for travel), or let him ride in a booster, which I don't feel comfortable with right now (for him, I can't speak for other peoples kids!).:)

It really isn't safe for her to be over the weight limit in the Recaro seat so she needs to either use it as a booster or ride in a HWH seat. Personally, I would recommend switching car seats w/little brother (again, unless he's r/fing), or buying her a Regent or Nautilus to keep her harnessed longer. That is me...

hth!

JoyJoy

I wish I had known a long time ago about not wearing bulky coats. I was so moved by not doing so I invented my own Safety Seat Poncho. That way the child has nothing but the straps on them. My kids are warm. We live in Idaho and it works well for us. That is why I am making them and selling them on my website. Because I learned that a bulky coat is not safe period. I wouldn't chance it at all.

scatterbunny

I would definitely switch the kiddos as long as the younger one is forward-facing. I do have my 6yo in a booster full-time, but she's 56 pounds and 50.5 inches.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC