New Britax seats for Canada

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So with all the going-ons this morning about 3 new Britax seats to be released in Canada this year, I was able to confirm with my Britax contact that it is indeed true.

1) Diplomat which is essentially the Roundabout but with "True Side Impact Protection" by way of the bolstered headrest and a removable infant insert, as well as a threadless harness adjustment feature. I think there is an extra 1" allowed here over the RA because of the head insert, but details of the seat can be seen on the Britax website.

2) Boulevard is essentially the Marathon platform but with the same features as the Diplomat. There is apparently 2" of extra height allowed for the BV over the MA (making it 49" ff height limit, I think).

Both of these are said to be shipped in May/June.

3) The mysterious, worst-kept ;) secret carseat/booster combination seat - Frontier. It is said to be harnessed from 25 to 65 lbs (in Canada because we have max 65 lbs ff limit) and as hbb from 40 lbs (in Canada because this is our min. booster weight) to 100 lbs. It has TSIP as well.

I don't know the top harness slots for the Frontier, but I speculate that it would have to be somewhat in between the MA/BV and Regent (as the Frontier is said to be harnessed to 80 lbs in the US).

I don't have ETA for the Frontier. But someone had said in the US is due out sometime in April.

In the past, Britax seats are brought into the Canadian market well after its appearance in the US. So This time around it looks like Britax might have applied for certification in the US and Canada at the same time, perhaps it would arrive in Canada shortly after April. Maybe at the same time as the 2 convertible seats.

Price points are a tad higher than the RA and MA. So perhaps I have great hope that the price points for the RA and MA might go down a little (I always hope that Britax seats are more affordable for the masses :) to a point, I guess)

That's what I have for now.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks! I want the Boulevard!

Any chance you asked if the RF weight limits are still the lame 30 pounds?

As for the Boulevard having more height room, according to the Britax site, the Marathon and Boulevard are both 49" and have the same seated height limits as well. Of course that's the U.S. numbers.

hipmaman

Update...

I'm told that ALL 3 new seats (yes, including the Frontier) are most likely be shipped in June for Canada.

MSRP are $280 for the Diplomat, $320 for the Boulevard and $300 for the Frontier. 30 lbs rf remains for Britax convertibles.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Update...

I'm told that ALL 3 new seats (yes, including the Frontier) are most likely be shipped in June for Canada.

MSRP are $280 for the Diplomat, $320 for the Boulevard and $300 for the Frontier. 30 lbs rf remains for Britax convertibles.
Ugh, stupid 30 RF limit! Do you happen to know if the removed the 32" RF height limit?

Unfortunately DD won't make it until June in her SS, so I am crossing my fingers that the TrueFit has a higher weight limit, or at least doesn't have the stupid 32" RF height limit (I know I can ignore the height limit, I just want it to go away!) and that it makes it in May as expected.

snowbird25ca

Update...

Pleasant surprise for the prices on the diplomat and blvd. Only $20 more for the TSIP and I'd likely spring for that. And the Frontier shipping on time to Canada - well that's awesome too. (Although I still think it's way over priced when it costs the same as a MA... maybe if I had a kiddo in a SS1 up to age 2, then could move the the frontier instead of a MA, but then the expiration date would bite you in the bum...)

tcottawa

So the MA has got to get cheaper, right?

This is good to know (re: price points)...not sure what I'm buying dd1 next (of course she'll be 10 by the time she's 65lbs...)

Airforcemomma

June for the Frontier is great. I can wait till June, I hope. Need a new seat for each of the kids and so want that Frontier. If I really like it after buying 2 to start I will be buying 2 more for DH's car and replacing what's in his car too. (only because I am using the Regent's that I moved to Canada with)

Any idea who will be carrying the seats in Canada?

hipmaman

I'm thinking that the prices MA and RA would be lowered (or they should) otherwise, $20 difference to get the DP (I can recall what the acronym for the Diplomat?) and the BV and the MA and RA would become obsolete, ya know.

I'll ask about the 32" rf height limit. Although isn't the RA now has 30" rf limit based on what I quickly scanned the recent recall?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'll ask about the 32" rf height limit. Although isn't the RA now has 30" rf limit based on what I quickly scanned the recent recall?
I've haven't really kept tabs on the RF height for the Roundabout, although I do recall reading a thread on it, and someone saying they got a new manual with a new limit? I guess the only thing worse than the 32" RF height limit on the Marathon and the Radian, is the even lower limit on the Roundabout!

snowbird25ca

I've haven't really kept tabs on the RF height for the Roundabout, although I do recall reading a thread on it, and someone saying they got a new manual with a new limit? I guess the only thing worse than the 32" RF height limit on the Marathon and the Radian, is the even lower limit on the Roundabout!

What's funny a bout that though, is that it's only 2" lower on the RA, but how much shorter is the RA shell? :cool: The RA is actually about 2" taller in the shell than the SS1 that has a 32" rf'ing limit. How you can have a taller seat with lower limits is beyond me. :rolleyes:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What's funny a bout that though, is that it's only 2" lower on the RA, but how much shorter is the RA shell? :cool: The RA is actually about 2" taller in the shell than the SS1 that has a 32" rf'ing limit. How you can have a taller seat with lower limits is beyond me. :rolleyes:
That's totally crazy!! So, if you follow the Roundabout manual, it will only fit babies RF barely longer than a Snugride and not as long as a SS! Wow! What are they thinking when they put these numbers in the manuals? :thumbsdown:

i&j's mom

To update on release date for the frontier, I called a dealer in the US and they now have May as thier release date. THere is a covered picture of the frontier on the website now, so hopefully soon.

When I called our local store to see if they were taking names to know how many to order, they refused because they are not sure if it will be released here yet. They say it will be summer before it comes if it does. I am sure it will arrive here, but when will be the question.

U

Unregistered

Are we still on track to receive the new Britax seats in Canada in May/June? Specifically, the Diplomat?

snowbird25ca

Are we still on track to receive the new Britax seats in Canada in May/June? Specifically, the Diplomat?

Last update from another tech here was that Britax is planning to ship the seats in mid to late June. I know that they had said Sept with the 65lb MA's, and they started hitting stores a few weeks after that. With the exception of big stores like TRU, Britax ships directly to retailers so they frequently have seats within 5 or 6 weeks of manufacture. So I'd expect the seats to be available for purchase starting mid July if everything stays on track.

I wouldn't expect a delay on the Diplomat or BLVD since those seats are already in production in the US and have been for quite some time. I'm not sure if the Frontier is on track for it's predicted release date or not, but it seems like it.

(Any reason why you're choosing diplomat over blvd? The diplomat is shorter like the RA while the BLVD has a higher harness like the MA. Older babies can have rf'ing seats installed more upright, so a MA will fit in most vehicles. You may be able to fit a BLVD unless there's another reason you're looking at the diplomat. The BLVD will be much more likely to get your little one to a safe booster age, whereas with the diplomat you'll almost definitely have to buy a bigger harnessed seat once it's outgrown. Most kids aren't big enough/mature enough for a booster until around the age of 5 or 6, and kids usually tend to weigh 40lbs before then or else outgrow the shorter seats by height before then. :thumbsup: )

mamoomorgan

Are any stores pre-ordering the frontier yet? Will those "in the know" on here post please when they are? I think it seems perfect for us but I'll need it ASAP. (not sure if dd#4 can last in the ss1 until July)
TIA,

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC