Obvious installation problem

PixieEMT

So, tonight around 6pm we were loading up our mini van with groceries after shopping at the local Giant.
I buckled DS into his seat and stepped out. I just happened to look over at the Subaru wagon parked next to us.
A combination Evenflo seat, secured in the middle with the two LOWER anchor points tethered to the top cargo latch points. Apparently they took the lower anchors and hooked them on the top anchor hooks and secured the seat with the vehicle belt. I guess the top tether is just behind the seat, not sure though.

I couldn't resist....I took an envelope and wrote: "Your seat is installed incorrectly, you might want to contact a car seat technician www.safekids.org to have it inspected. You should not have two straps connected to the top anchor points in your cargo area for one seat. Good luck"

Hopefully, they go home and surf the Safekids site and punch in the local zipcode. My name pops up for the town. I would be really excited/shocked if I got an email or call from this person.

~ What do you think?

ADS

wildeyes

sounds like a good response to the problem. i hope they call, even if its not you. at least its somebody. i have the same problem. a few times when i've oe to hte gym, i see a old minivan with a very expired seat. and i never have a da*n pen and paper to leave a note. stupid pen always freezes. i was gonna print out some phamplets to keep in the car, and my stupid printer is out of ink... ugh. i keep hoping when i get to the gym i will see the person coming or going and can stop them. i hope its just a grandma and the kid isnt in the seat often.

Ashley_R

Good for you! With any luck they wont think thier way is better or that they know what they are doing and will get some help!

minismom

I'm glad you left a note, I would have done the same!

The only thing that's annoying it that I thing it; very difficult to get to the part where you actually find a tech once you go to sakekids.org. There's a lot of clicking to do and a lot of wrong places you can end up...

littleangelfire

Glad to know I'm not the only one that leaves notes on cars. :) although, to this point, the notes I've left have been to let people know that their seats were expired. I've left notes about shield boosters and nasty old gerry and century car seats.

PixieEMT

The only thing that's annoying it that I thing it; very difficult to get to the part where you actually find a tech once you go to sakekids.org. There's a lot of clicking to do and a lot of wrong places you can end up...

How true is that!!!! NHTSA doesn't keep up with their data base, seatcheck.org doesn't either.
My name comes up on SafeKids but not the others.

I thought about leaving a business card but I had none on me. Plue, if the person wasn't very happy about the constructive criticism I didn't want them flipping at me via email or cell phone.

I'll just keep my eyes out in the local paper....we have a 30seconds column where people sometimes thank or b*tch about things. Hopefully, I'll get a thank! :D

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've left notes. I write them on one of my business cards. I've yet to be called because of it. My favorite so far has been a nice new Lexus with a nearly expired OHS in the middle with the passenger seatbelt through it and buckled into the driver's side, and the driver's seatbelt through and buckled into the passenger's side.

Oh, another one had an infant base in the middle and in fairly ok with the seatbelt, but then the dad had taken the LATCH strap and yanked it as far as he could and tethered it to the anchor point in the ceiling. He had pulled so hard that the LATCH had become disconnected from the carseat. Bad daddy.

Wendy

mominabigtruck

Don't feel bad, I've chased a lady in the walmart parking lot because she was using an ohs as bpb with the shield down and the seatbelt going across. She looked at me like I was crazy when I told her she couldn't do that and drove away.:thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC