Cosco seats DOM or DOE?

gwenvet

This was on Freecycle this morning:
I have a cosco car seat the date on it is 4/5/00. I'm not really if its expired. My daughter has just out gown it, it was never in any accidents or anything. Take it at your will. If you find it to be expired, don't gripe at me.

Doesn't Cosco have "Don't use after____" dates on them instead of DOM dates? That would make this REALLY expired!!!

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Some of their models have both. All seats will have a DOM on the sticker with the model #. Then they stamp into the plastic on the bottom/back of the seat with a DOE. Most give til Dec. 31 of the year of expiration.

Ex: Seat could have been DOM 2/8/2005 but doesn't have a DOE until 12/31/2011.

singingpond

I have two AO seats, DOM 2001 and 2004. Both have DOM clearly marked. Neither one has a DOE stamped or marked on it ANYWHERE (and I've looked really hard, with the seats out of the car, in good light, peeking under the covers, etc.). The manuals (the 2001 has a Cosco manual, the 2004 has a Dorel manual) don't mention expiration either, although both manuals mention a 7-year limited warranty, so I'm taking that as their lifespan. I've also seen people here mention both 7 and 8 years as the lifespan of this particular Cosco/Dorel seat (Alpha Omega). I've read some opinions that one should treat it as having an industry-standard 6-year life, just because the seat isn't clearly marked otherwise. So, just saying... there are at least some Cosco seats out there that don't say anything about DOE on the seat.

4/5/00 DOM would mean the seat is expired, of course (or just about to expire if it has an 8-year life).

Katrin

amyg530

our scenera has do not use after december 20XX, no day listed IIRC, so thats probably the DOM, either way its expired

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My AOE my sitter uses was manufactured in June 2004 and has a stamp on the back do not use after Dec 31 2012. So depending on the Cosco seat she has it may be good for another year if the DOM is 2000.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Some of the 3in1's expire in december the 8th year after the DOM, so this seat might still have another 11mos left on it. It's molded into the plastic and not very noticeable unless you really look for it. :thumbsdown:

gwenvet

I tried to get it but it had already been given away. Now I can't really email her back and say that she should notify the person she gave it to that it is expired. I hate to see these seats go via Freecycle, they're usually the oldest, most discusting seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC