Rear facing car seat in minivan?

alliegl

I plan to visit california when my child is 22 months. He is almost 31 lbs, and about 3 feet. We are scandinavian, and national recommendations here are that a child rides in a rear facing car seat until 4 years of age. My intention is that he rides rear facing on the trip if possible!:)

On the trip to california we will rent a minivan, and are looking to rent or buy a car seat for the car. Is it possible to fit a rear facing car seat in a minivan, and in that case, which car seats are recommended and fit in such a car?

We have a rear facing car seat at home, but a european seat is not legal to use in the us as i understand. Also the system requires support legs that will not fit in a minivan.

I will appreciate any answer or input!:)

Allie

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Minivans are very, very large vehicles, compared to a sedan (don't let that 'mini' name fool you ;)). I can't imagine your own seat not fitting in one (I know at least one member here as imported a Swedish seat, and had no problem fitting it in her car). And it's perfectly legal for visitors to use seats from other countries. The Biggest rearfacing seats we have are up to 35 pounds and without any extra legroom. At 22 months he should be fine in one of them, though (it will feel very flimsy compared to what you are used to, as we only use the seatbelt or Isofix/LATCH system here to install them...no extra support legs, and only 2 brands can be tethered rearfacing (Britax and Sunshine Kids Radian, which only rearface to 33 pounds).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You won't have a problem. I've seen a Swedish seat RFing in an American minivan. They're plenty big.

You can definitely bring your own seat. You'll need one for the plane anyway.

Have a great trip. It's amazing you took the time to ask. Most people don't.

Wendy

alliegl

Thanks for your replies!:)

I'm now considering bringing our own seat, but as it is one of the biggest models on the market, we will not be allowed to bring it on the plane with us, but have to send it with the rest of luggage.

Can any of you recommend an american seat that can be used in RF position? I assume we will rent a minivan with two separate seats in row 2 and a bench in row 3. My boy is almost 31 lbs. I've heard about britax seats but the european collection is different from the us models, so i would appreciate any help:)

skaterbabs

eek, you definately don't want to check your car seat!!

Will you have someone who can meet you at the airport with a seat? if so the CARES harness may be an option on the plane.

Ogreenlee

Do car rental companies provide carseats? I've never had to go that route before, so I don't know. I just assumed they would, but I also never considered what kind they would have and how old... or safe.

skaterbabs

I would not want to trust them. I'm not familiar with what seats you can get, or how long it could take. Would it be possible to order a US seat before the trip?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Do car rental companies provide carseats? I've never had to go that route before, so I don't know. I just assumed they would, but I also never considered what kind they would have and how old... or safe.

Yes, they do, but I would NOT reccomend it. How old is your child now? The highest weight in the US that seats rf to is 35#. Can you have your son sit against a wall and measure his torso (floor to shoulders if sitting)? Is there are a seat you'd rather get from where you live or maybe a friend has one you can borrow? Our seats aren't near as big and I'd be worried you'd be wasting your $ on a seat from here that would fit your son, plus you will need a seat when you get here unless someone is meeting you at the airport and could bring one w/ them.

alliegl

Yes rental companies provides car seats, and we've rented before. The problem is that as my boy is over 30 lbs, the rental companies only have FF seats. As a scandinavian, i'll do what i can to avoid FF;)

Unfortunately we don't have anyone who can meet us with a carseat:( I have a harness for the flight. In europe the airline usually provides the harness and lifevest for baby by the way:)

skipspin

What city will you be flying into? Will you be visiting friends/relatives?

If you can't find someone that you trust to borrow a seat from, I would plan on buying a seat (possibly a Britax Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard as long as your son still fits RFing in one at that time.)Then, perhaps if you can get one online on sale, you could have your friends/family sell it on ebay or Craigslist after you have left. That way, it would probably only "cost" you $50 or less and you'd have a trustworthy nice seat.

If you are coming on holiday without any close friends or family here that would make it more difficult- but not impossible.

You don't want a car seat from a car rental company. Most likely they won't have eany seats that your son could sit RFing in AND there are been horror stories of people getting expired and or nasty seats.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Rental carseats are generally discouraged, primarily because a rental is essentially a used seat with an unknown history. It may have been in a crash, expired, missing parts, missing the instruction manual, etc. There's likely no guarantee a rental seat will be actually be available at the time you pick up your rental car, nor a guarantee that it will be a suitable type or size carseat to safely and properly fit and transport your child. :thumbsdown:

alliegl

Thank you all for useful input!:)

We've rented seats 3 times before, and i understand we've been lucky because each time they've been brand new and with instructions. But i'm more sceptical now i see your comments.

Skipspin: we fly into LA, and are staying with relatives in CA, so it might be possible to order a seat online and have it sent to their house. Just have to figure out how to get there, because they can not pick us up or meet us. I'll check out the britax seats you suggested.

alliegl

Rental carseats are generally discouraged, primarily because a rental is essentially a used seat with an unknown history. It may have been in a crash, expired, missing parts, missing the instruction manual, etc. There's likely no guarantee a rental seat will be actually be available at the time you pick up your rental car, nor a guarantee that it will be a suitable type or size carseat to safely and properly fit and transport your child. :thumbsdown:

I see your kid is in a RF britax blvd, and it looks like you have a minvan? Is this seat working ok and in which position in the car? I don't mind that my boy sits with bent legs in his seat.

alliegl

Yes, they do, but I would NOT reccomend it. How old is your child now? The highest weight in the US that seats rf to is 35#. Can you have your son sit against a wall and measure his torso (floor to shoulders if sitting)? Is there are a seat you'd rather get from where you live or maybe a friend has one you can borrow? Our seats aren't near as big and I'd be worried you'd be wasting your $ on a seat from here that would fit your son, plus you will need a seat when you get here unless someone is meeting you at the airport and could bring one w/ them.

My boy is 36" and 31#. He has a long torso:) but i'll measure him, good tip, thanks. As long as he's RF, i don't mind a smaller seat i think.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How about a Scenera? They're $50 (34 euros), RF to 35 pounds and have a tall shell. It'll likely feel flimsy, but it'll work just fine.

Can you have someone near there call baby stores? There's Sid & Me Kid's Headquarters literally down the road from the airport (+1 310 670-5550). If they have it that'd be good. There's a Target seven miles from the airport. They would definitely have it. You could stay at the airport while your hubby goes to buy a seat? There's a restaurant with an observation deck above it so you could entertain your little one.

The Scenera is also lightweight, only nine pounds (4 kg). If you are coming back to the US again it may be something you want to take home with you. If not you can leave it with your guests. Or something. You'll need it to get back to the airport.

Wendy

alliegl

How about a Scenera? They're $50 (34 euros), RF to 35 pounds and have a tall shell. It'll likely feel flimsy, but it'll work just fine.

Can you have someone near there call baby stores? There's Sid & Me Kid's Headquarters literally down the road from the airport (+1 310 670-5550). If they have it that'd be good. There's a Target seven miles from the airport. They would definitely have it. You could stay at the airport while your hubby goes to buy a seat? There's a restaurant with an observation deck above it so you could entertain your little one.

The Scenera is also lightweight, only nine pounds (4 kg). If you are coming back to the US again it may be something you want to take home with you. If not you can leave it with your guests. Or something. You'll need it to get back to the airport.

Wendy

Thanks for the information, i'll check it out:) Yes, i'm willing to stay at the airport if there are nearby stores he can drive to. Good idea:)

scatterbunny

36 inches with a long torso may not fit the Scenera rear-facing, so possibly a Safety 1st Uptown? If you want a seat that can be tethered when rear-facing you'll have to go with Britax or Sunshine Kids.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I see your kid is in a RF britax blvd, and it looks like you have a minvan? Is this seat working ok and in which position in the car? I don't mind that my boy sits with bent legs in his seat.

Yes, I drive a 2005 Toyota Sienna 8-passenger minivan (my avatar picture ;)), and the Britax Blvd. is RF in the second row center seating position. :) The Blvd. also fits RF on the rear passenger side in DH's more compact 2008 Scion xB, and his previous car, a Saturn L100 sedan. It's possible to fit the Blvd. RF in more compact vehicles as well. In fact it's hard to think of a specific vehicle that cannot accommodate a RF Britax convertible. Bent legs in a RF child are generally not a safety concern and are not an indicator that the carseat is outgrown RF, so long as the child fits within the RF weight and height limits. :)

Last edited:

henrietta

At 36" tall and w/a long torso, the Cosco Scenera probably will NOT fit him rearfacing. My son doesn't fit in one rearfacing, and that's how big he is.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance is available at pretty much every large retailer now (Babies R Us, Toys R Us, Target, WalMart, and KMart), so you shouldn't have any trouble asking a relative to pick one up for you or to have one shipped to them. It's about $130, rearfaces to 35 lbs, and has harness slots as tall as the Britax seats. It also is easy to install in most vehicles.

Other options are the Safety First Uptown and Sunshine Kids Radian, but they may not install as well in most vehicles.

And, of course, the Britax Marathon, which will install in anything!

I think the Britax Marathon or Evenflo Triumph Advance are your two best bets, b/c you can be pretty much assured that they will fit him rearfacing and they'll fit any car you drive!

hths

Have a great trip!!!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC