Getting rear-ended?

mklanger

What happens to your RF child in a car seat if you were rear-ended. My neighbor is trying to justify having her toddler FF by saying it is safer in case she ever got rear ended :thumbsdown:

The more I think about it the more I think that FF the child would get the brunt of the impact, while RF the car seat would support them for from the force....I really wish I would have paid more attention in physics class! :whistle:

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Well, here is a crash test video of a ff seat and here is one of a rf seat, here is a overhead view. You can see how both seats move in a forward motion and which one looks safer. I think this is a frontal collision (which are more common the rear-ending) but i'm not sure :eek:

Here is a picture of a car and the accident rates originally posted by Southpawboston.
angle468NEW.gif

sfeitler

You initially move towards the point of impact. So perhaps a FF child is slightly more protected in a rear-end impact.

Someone around here has stats, rear-end crashes are way, way less common than front-end and side crashes.

-Sarah

southpawboston

a recent published study revealed that RF is indeed safer in just about all types of crashes, but the real unexpected kicker is that the *greatest* advantage of RF over FF is in *side* impact crashes, not frontal impact. this runs contrary to those frontal crash simulation videos, which reinforce the idea that RF is more protective in a frontal accident. i'm not saying that RF isn't safer in a frontal impact, but the data suggests that the injury risk is statistically insignificant between FF and RF for frontal impacts, whereas RF is four times safer than FF in side impacts. interesting, huh?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We were rear ended at about 40 mph while we were stopped. So pretty serious. Piper was RFing in her tethered Advantage. She woke up crying, that was it. Nathan and I were both fine. Sore the next day, but fine. I think Piper was even less sore than we were. Though she was relaxed and Nathan and I tensed at the last second knowing what was coming.

Most rear enders aren't very serious. They account for about 4% of SERIOUS collisions. They are certainly very common (at least for half of the people involved. For the rear ender it's a frontal collision) but they're rarely serious. Normally you're moving at a relatively close rate of speed. Either stopped and 5mph in a parking lot, or 60 and 45 in traffic, something like that. A pretty serious rear ender is like ours or worse, where we were stopped and the car behind us hit us between 35 and 40 mph (at a guess, he was also stopped and was rear ended by a guy with 0.20 BAC and going 45 mph). Probably the worst rear ender is one where you're stopped and you get hit by someone doing real highway speed, 65/70 mph. Which has happened (http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html). However, that's, about as serious as you can get. And you have the trunk space between the child and impact. There's a huge crumple zone there on modern cars.

Frontal collisions are the most likely to be serious (not the most serious, but you're more likely to be involved in one, and therefore more likely to have a serious crash that is a frontal one. And remember, if you T bone someone it's a frontal for you and lateral for them). You're usually traveling opposite of the person you hit, and it's your speed PLUS their speed (versus minus their speed for a rear ender). So if you're doing 60 and they're doing 45, same as the scenario above, instead of having a 15mph collision you now have a 105 mph collision. Even the WORST rear ender will be a 70 mph collision.

So you're playing the odds. The chances of you being involved in a serious rear ender is about 4% (not the chances of a rear ender, but a SERIOUS rear ender). The chances of you being involved in a serious frontal collision is much higher, I think about 80% (that one I'd have to get my book out and look up, but I think that's how it breaks down). You're less likely to be involved in a lateral collision, but if you are it's more likely to be serious. There's simply no padding between you and the other person. Airbags are helping, but it's a simple size matter. You have an engine that will disintegrate in front of you in a modern car; a trunk that will disappear behind you. To the sides, even with airbags you still only have about six inches.

Rear facing provides protection most of all against lateral crashes. The way the seat reacts to the crash is different than when it's FFing. So RFing you're most protected from frontal and lateral crashes, the two that are most likely to be severe. No sense trying to protect for the one that's least likely to harm you. It's like putting on rain boots and no sunscreen while you wear your bikini to the beach. Sure, it may rain while you're out, but you're much more likely to get sunburn and end up hurt.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC