Locking Clips???

Wynters*Mom

I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica and I think it has non-locking ELR seat belts. When I pull out on the straps all the way, they just retract right back in and I can pull them out, so they're not ALR. I'm searching for a second car seat and I was leaning toward the Regent or maybe either the new Compass TrueFit or the Nautilus. I just read that neither the Regent or the Nautilus have lock-offs, so will I be using a locking clip, then? I'm not sure if the True Fit has lock-offs or not???

I guess what I'm wondering is are locking clips safe/easy to use? I've never used them before - I've always either done LATCH or a seat belt with the lock offs.

Sorry, i'm sure this is a dumb question. :p'

Thanks a bunch!

ADS

sfeitler

I believe a 2006 is required to have some method of locking the seat belt. Read your Pacifica owner's manual--perhaps you have a locking latchplate of some sort. The manual will tell you.

-Sarah

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
You have lightweight locking latchplates in your vehicle.

Sit in the backseat and buckle the seatbelt. Pull all the slack out of the lap portion. Now pull straight out/up from the center of your tummy on the lap portion. It should not loosen.

These seatbelts work by keeping the lap/buckle/shoulder portions of the seatbelt all parallel to each other. The lap portion will be tight and the shoulder portion will still move freely. In a collision the ELR will kick in and lock the shoulder portion as well, until that time the lap portion will be tight and keep the carseat in position.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Sit in the backseat and buckle the seatbelt. Pull all the slack out of the lap portion. Now pull straight out/up from the center of your tummy on the lap portion. It should not loosen.

These seatbelts work by keeping the lap/buckle/shoulder portions of the seatbelt all parallel to each other. The lap portion will be tight and the shoulder portion will still move freely. In a collision the ELR will kick in and lock the shoulder portion as well, until that time the lap portion will be tight and keep the carseat in position.

:yeahthat:

I leased an 04 that had locking latchplates ;)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
What they said. If you find it slips over time, just flip the buckle one half-turn and rebuckle.

Or alternatively you can twist down the buckle stalk (female end) up to 3 full 360 degree twists. I generally find this easier than flipping the male end... just preference I guess. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Your vehicle manual may have a nice 'how to install a carseat' section in it, too.. might be worth a little light evening reading sometime... :)

Wynters*Mom

How smart are you gals!?! WOW! You all are exactly right. :D

I only tested the front seats and I assumed the other seats had the same kind of seat belts. I just tested the seat belts in the second row where we have the car seat installed and they are indeed exactly as you described, so they must be lightweight locking latchplates. :)

Just out of curiousity, are the lock-offs only a second line of defense?

Also, thanks for the tip on the manual having a section on installing a car seat - it did! :) However, it doesn't say the weight limits of the LATCH and tether. Should I assume it's 48 pounds, since that's standard?

Thanks for everything!!!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
On a Chrysler, the limits are 48lbs for your lower anchors. We encourage using a top tether regardless of weight limit and I'm sure someone will be along to link to the article of why (I don't have it bookmarked right now. :eek:).

A lock-off is not needed when using lightweight locking latchplates. You only *need* *one* method of locking your seatbelt. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC