Newly registered, just saying hi, question about seat for TALL 3 year old.

popsicle

Hi, I've been lurking for a few weeks and thought I should introduce myself. I'm Spring from Alaska:happy-wavehello: I stumbled on this forum looking for reviews on the Radian 65 as I was considering one for my almost 3 year old in DH's new 07 F150 supercab. I did end up getting one and it installs quite well with a single 360 degree twist of the stalk. Haven't had it checked but I will if I can find somewhere around here that does that. DS loves it and finds it quite comfy. He also likes that it looks more like a "big kid" seat. Alas I happened upon a thread where you all were discussing the Mossy Oak cover for the Marathon and I Had To Have It. (DH is a hunter..we live in AK, 'nuff said) So I ordered one of those too.(DS is 32 mos, 32# and 36" so it should last him a bit right?) So it looks like the Radian will be going in my '01 Monte Carlo or my mom's 04 Escape if I can get a good install. (The old style Triumph I have in both those is nearly outgrown by height anyway.) And the new Marathon will go in the truck. Does anyone have the Mossy Oak? What does the fabric feel like? Just curious.

Also, I have a niece, just turned 3 who is also in an old style Triumph. Problem is she's huge. 45 pounds and I'm guessing at least 42" :eek: way too big for that seat by both weight and height. I Mentioned this to SIL and she said "yeah, we really should have moved her to a booster" I tried to explain to her why a booster is not a good idea for a 3 year old and sent her links to some seats that have tall harness straps. Thing is they're all so expensive. She'll probably need 2 seats though, my mom is daycare for my ds and niece and needs seats permanently in her car. I can understand her not wantining to spend $400 on seats that may only last another year (seriuosly, the kid will not stop growing) when technically, she is allowed to be in a booster. So does anyone know of any 5 point seats for tall kids that don't cost $200? I really don't want to see them put her in a booster!
Thanks for reading! Sorry this is so long!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The new Graco Nautilus might be a fantastic option for her. Harnesses to 65lbs and then turns into a booster up to 100lbs. It's starting to show up on Walmart shelves. Do a search here, there is a mega long thread on it right now. :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Welcome :happy-wavehello:

I second what Aidensmom said and look for the Graco Nautilus. It looks like a promising seat :thumbsup:

scatterbunny

Since she's already over the weight limit by so much and the Nautilus may be slow to hit store shelves, what about an Apex?

popsicle

Thanks! That looks nice. I'll tell her about it. Might be an option for DS in whichever car the Radian doesn't end up in too. He's a peanut so it should last him until it expires!

popsicle

I may let her use the Radian until she can get ahold of something else, since DS still has a bit of room in the Triumph. It's true that if the Nautilus is brand new we may not see it up here for quite some time. She'd probably be better off ordering online. Our Wal-Mart has ridiculously limited options.

scatterbunny

Yes, I think whatever option gets her that seat ASAP is best. If that means letting her use your Radian for the time being, that's what I'd do...use the Triumph for your 3yo for now, until she can get a new seat.

And I'm right there with you on the Mossy Oak loving. :love: Too bad they didn't come out with it until my one and only child is too big for the Marathon, and they won't release anything cool and cute like that for the Regent. :mad: Oh well, I have the next best thing, I guess, a Compass B510 booster in Camo. Still, it's not as cute as the Mossy Oak.

popsicle

I will look into the Apex too. Seems like I may have seen that one at Toys R Us the other day so it might be easier to find. I will probably bring the Radian to her tomorrow as a loaner. I think they sell Radians at out BCF so I might be able to talk her into one of those since they don't really look babyish and that would be a selling point for Amelia (the niece).

I laughed so hard when I saw the Mossy Oak Marathon. Showed it to DH and he didn't even notice the $270 price tag! Just said "order it". I don't know why out local TRU doesn't carry it. If there's any way to get an Alaskan man to buy a $200+ car seat that's it! What a missed marketing opportunity. Too bad it's only for the Marathon. If they had it for the Regent I could get my brother to buy it for Amelia no problem!

My other choice was the Collegiate cover in - well, any of the orange teams. I would have sewn an Arctic Cat (snowmachine) patch over the team logo. (Is that OK to do?) And it would have mached the orange seat covers I ordered for the truck and the Arctic Cat decal on the window. I might still if I can find just a cover. For a spare :D. I should never have found this site, it's feeding my OCD!

Just as an aside, if you want to guilt your DH into letting you buy expensive car seats, buy him a $400 set of seat covers for his new truck. It works wonders. "I spent $400 on covers for your seats and you don't think we should spent $200 to keep Malaki safe??" :p

scatterbunny

I will look into the Apex too. Seems like I may have seen that one at Toys R Us the other day so it might be easier to find. I will probably bring the Radian to her tomorrow as a loaner. I think they sell Radians at out BCF so I might be able to talk her into one of those since they don't really look babyish and that would be a selling point for Amelia (the niece).

Just remember that the Apex's headrest is not reinforced so the vehicle must provide adequate head support at least up to the tops of the child's ears at all times. This makes the Apex incompatible with lowback bench seats and some seats without headrests when used for taller/older children.

As long as the vehicle(s) your relatives will be using the seat in have tall enough seatbacks, I do think the Apex is the cheapest option. Otherwise, a Radian. Luckily you have one already to show them/let them use/help them get used to it. :D It can be a pain to install in some vehicles, fingers-crossed it works for them.

I laughed so hard when I saw the Mossy Oak Marathon. Showed it to DH and he didn't even notice the $270 price tag! Just said "order it". I don't know why out local TRU doesn't carry it. If there's any way to get an Alaskan man to buy a $200+ car seat that's it! What a missed marketing opportunity. Too bad it's only for the Marathon. If they had it for the Regent I could get my brother to buy it for Amelia no problem!

Yep, that Mossy Oak would sell a ton of Britax seats in my area (rural north Oregon coast), too, but the nearest retailer is 1.5 hours away and no one around here even knows the Britax name. It's all Cosco and Graco, with a few Evenflo baby buckets. :p

My other choice was the Collegiate cover in - well, any of the orange teams. I would have sewn an Arctic Cat (snowmachine) patch over the team logo. (Is that OK to do?) And it would have mached the orange seat covers I ordered for the truck and the Arctic Cat decal on the window. I might still if I can find just a cover.

Yes, Britax has, in the past, given approval to adding a patch or two to a cover, or doing a bit of embroidery, even. :)

I should never have found this site, it's feeding my OCD!

:ROTFLMAO:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm guessing since you have a TRU, you're in southern AK? :) I used to live in North Pole and I can't imagine ever having a TRU up there. lol Welcome!

popsicle

I'm guessing since you have a TRU, you're in southern AK? :) I used to live in North Pole and I can't imagine ever having a TRU up there. lol Welcome!
Yep, I'm in Palmer (born & raised) but work in Anchorage so I'm there about 3 times a week. Sometimes less (telecommuting rocks!) I love it here, but even in Anchorage, options are limited. Thank God for the internet :D

Just remember that the Apex's headrest is not reinforced so the vehicle must provide adequate head support at least up to the tops of the child's ears at all times.
I'll look into the headrest heights. I know it would work in mom's Escape. Brother drives an 07 Tundra and I think it would be ok. SIL drives an Impala and I'm not sure on that. Thanks all of you for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC