Can I use LATCH in 2007 Honda Accord in the center position?

Ari11210

The Accord (2007) manual is not clear on whether you can use LATCH in the center position, it does not explicitly say not to. Does anyone know if it is OK? There are a total of 4 LATCH connectors for the 3 positions, so the question is whether I can borrow the inner 2 connectors for the center seat. I'd rather use LATCH than the seat belt if possible. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance. If it makes a difference, I have a Britax Diplomat, and this is for rear facing.

-Ari

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi and welcome. Britax allows borrowing lower LATCH anchors from the side seating positions for a center installation of their child restraints if the vehicle manufacturer also allows it. But in this case, Honda does not currently allow borrowing of the lower LATCH anchors from the outboard seating positions to do a center installation.

You can install in the center rear with the vehicle seatbelt, or outboard using the lower LATCH anchors or the vehicle seatbelt. Whichever proper installation method allows you to get a tight installation with less than 1 inch of movement at the Diplomat's belt path is key. :)

Also good to keep in mind is that Honda has a 40 lb. child weight limit for using the lower LATCH anchors, at which point you would need to switch to a seatbelt installation.

Ari11210

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where that information comes from? From the Honda manual, it is not clear that you cannot 'borrow'. thanks again. Ari

Ari11210

Well, I called Honda today to ask them about using LATCH in the center. When I called in the morning, I was told that it shouldnt be a problem to use LATCH in the center, but 'we recommend using the outer seats' with LATCH. So, I called back later today and spoke to someone else who told me it is OK to use LATCH in the center since the manual doesn't say otherwise. Now what?

Thanks

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
CS reps are known for giving out incorrect info. The LATCH manual really is compiled with the utmost care... If it says no to center LATCH and your manual does *not* say yes, then the answer is NO. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd use LATCH in the outboard position if it were me. In that car, the LATCH positions are further from the door, and you have side curtain airbags for extra protection, and the installation will be a lot easier.

Last edited:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I would not rely on 2 different answers from a CS. Most vehicle manuals clearly stateand show a diagram if you are allowed to borrow LA in the center. :twocents:

U

Unregistered

that's interesting, i had the same experience with Honda regarding my 2003 accord and the center position. They said it was fine, then the car seat people at the children's hospital looked in the LATCH manual and found that you cannot use the center seat with LATCH. SO i installed the carseat in the center using the shoulder belt. Too bad, b/c i got a better fit with LATCH in the center than on the sides.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I agree, you need to go with what the LATCH manual says. I wouldn't trust a Honda CR to give you the correct info on this particular issue.

One reason you may not be able to borrow the two center anchors is that Federal law requires manufacturers to space pairs of anchors 280 mm (11 inches) apart. And depending on the size of the vehicle, the two center anchors could be more of less than the required 11 inches.

But the bottom line is, if the manual doesn't say you can do it, then you can't. Sorry.

FWIW though, I've never had a problem installing a seat in my pre-LATCH Accord.

U

Unregistered

For what it's worth the Canadian version of the 2007 Honda Accord Owner's Manual says you can't use LATCH for the center position.
"Your vehicle is equipped with LATCH (lower anchors and tethers for children) at the outer rear seats."

Our middle seat has the top tether but you have to use the belt. HTH

KristiD761

Senior Community Member
We have this issue come up a lot at our car seat checks, but the LATCH manual states no use of the inner anchors to place a seat in the center.
The 2007 and up Honda CRV has a specific set of LATCH anchors for center use...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC