whats the best car seat in this circumstance?

Michelle

a friend of mine is visiting her mother and her mother is wanting to buy a car seat for her grandaughter. Shes on a tight budget and the baby is about 2 mos old. But she was thinking more along the lines of a convertible seat since they dont visit often and that way it can be used for a longer period of time.

Would a cosco scenera be a good pick?

The grandmother has a small mazda, would it fit ok in that car??
She has read reviews and i guess says a lot of people claim it to be big and bulky. Also shes concerned about her newborn sitting in it. She also read that the recline isnt good (in the reviews). Any advice i can give her would be great. Thanks!

ADS

RubysGirl

either the scenera or the uptown (if it's affordable for them).

It's easy to correct the recline on the scenera with poolnoodles.

They can check the compatability database at (Carseat Data website closed - link broken) to see if there are any known/documented cases with those seats in their car.

RubysGirl

Oh, and there's no issue with small babies in either of those seats, the harness adjusts well for a small infant. They may need to roll blankets on the sides, but that's it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Scenera is a great choice in this situation. It's NOT bulky, though it has a tall shell. I think it weighs 9 pounds? Whatever the exact number it's light. It's $50, so great for a budget. It has low bottom slots so it's great for a newborn. It has low top slots so it will be outgrown FFing fairly early, but by then something else can come along. It has a 35 pound RFing limit (encourage grandma to use it RFing until then).

It should fit fine in a Mazda, though it may require a pool noodle or rolled towel to get it to 45 degrees.

Out of curiosity, why isn't mom bringing baby's carseat on the airplane? Or should we not go into the "your baby is more precious than the coffeepot-which gets secured-and so your baby should have their own seat and their own carseat" argument? Lap baby=unsafe baby.

Wendy

Michelle

The Scenera is a great choice in this situation. It's NOT bulky, though it has a tall shell. I think it weighs 9 pounds? Whatever the exact number it's light. It's $50, so great for a budget. It has low bottom slots so it's great for a newborn. It has low top slots so it will be outgrown FFing fairly early, but by then something else can come along. It has a 35 pound RFing limit (encourage grandma to use it RFing until then).

It should fit fine in a Mazda, though it may require a pool noodle or rolled towel to get it to 45 degrees.

Out of curiosity, why isn't mom bringing baby's carseat on the airplane? Or should we not go into the "your baby is more precious than the coffeepot-which gets secured-and so your baby should have their own seat and their own carseat" argument? Lap baby=unsafe baby.

Wendy

You know, i dont even know. I may have to ask her that.:p

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You put the pool noodle by the seat bight (where the seatbelt comes out, the crease between the top and the bottom) to help keep the carseat from being angled too high. These are all infant seats, but the idea is the same as a convertible.

baby_car_seat.JPG

rolled_towelweb.jpg

noodleswithbelt.jpg

HTH

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC