Radian manual ?

Mommy090804

In our prenatal carseat class we were told to read the manual three times before installing any carseat. I am very excited about our new Radian Premier. We may install it tonight. I have read the manual several times. I came across this statement which I find alarming and contrary to what I have read on this board:

Do not carry restraint by harness adjusting strap. This can damage the mechanism and the webbing. Only carry restraint by red carry strap, harness shoulder straps or by the plastic shell.

Is Sunshine Kids saying that it is okay to carry the Radian by the harness straps? I thought that was a big no-no!?:scratcheshead:

Let me just also say that I would never dream of picking up any carseat by the harness straps. I am curious as to why the manual would say this. Does anyone on this board know why Sunshine Kids allows this? My apologies if this has been discussed before. The manual is from a Radian Premier (Canada) with a DOM of July2007.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It does sound like that is what they are saying, but I would never carry by the harness straps.

They could be saying harness shoulder straps and meaning the carrying straps that come with the Radian Premier... especially since they precede that with do not carry by the adjusting harness strap. It's worded very poorly.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This originated from Britax having big issues with their harness adjusters fraying (SK just 'stole' the idea for their manual). It's because when you carry it by the adjuster strap, it could go REALLY sideways and get crammed and frayed in the adjuster, which could obviously be a problem. Carrying by the shoulderstraps is fine...I always buckle my seats up and put my arm in the harness to carry them. The stress of the weight of the seat is not extreme and will not hurt the harness system, and the adjuster strap won't be getting pulled all sideways and jammed if you are carrying the seat by the harness.
:)

canadianmom2three

So not to hijack the thread, but if carrying it by the harness is ok, what would be the problem with taking the tether strap, and carrying the seat by that, either by grasping it just at the point where the two individual tether straps meet and go into the adjuster, or by hooking the tether strap onto one of the fabric loops near the bottom of the Radian and putting the whole strap over one's shoulder?:confused:

crunchierthanthou

I don't think there's not a problem with that. In fact, Britax recommends carrying by the tether. I used to sling the RA over my shoulder like a duffle bag with the tether. I've done the buckle the harness and slide my arm through thing too.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't think there's not a problem with that. In fact, Britax recommends carrying by the tether. I used to sling the RA over my shoulder like a duffle bag with the tether. I've done the buckle the harness and slide my arm through thing too.

Yep, I've read the same thing in britax manuals about carrying by the tether strap. It just says not to carry by the adjuster strap.

I always carry my seats by the shell though - or in the case of the radian the red carry strap. It's just more secure for me to carry that way. ;)

the harness adjuster is the strap at the front, so not the harness.

I know seats here (or the companies here) say it is ok to carry by the harness or tether.
I often carry the shell where i can, then the tether, then the harness. It is only supporting its own weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC