Car similar to a 2008 Rav4

niccig

We rented a Rav4 on holidays and we liked the size of it and how much cargo room it had. But I didn't like the seatbelt situation in the back. The seatbelt for the center position came out half-way into the driver outboard position. It seemed like you could have passengers in center and passenger outboard or passenger and driver outboard, but not 3 across. There was room for 3 passengers, I got family members to sit there to test it, but it seemed only 2 seatbelts would work at a time.

So any other suggestions that would carry about the same as the 2008 Rav4 but would allow for 3 secured passengers in the back?

Nicci

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Gypsy's dh rented a Chevy HHR (similar to the Rav4, right?) and we noticed the same issue with the back seats. Installing seats was a pain, but we did get 3-across the back - a TB, a Radian, and a Decathalong, all FF.

But yeah, the passenger-side rear seat had more space than the drivers. It was weird and annoying.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Oh, yeah, the CRV and the Vue! Those are the two we used while on vacation. The Vue is NICE for carseats. Three separate sets of LATCH! Overall seemed like a very nice vehicle, too. I also have a co-worker who is very pleased with his Vue.

I don't know as much about the CRV; dh rode in it more than I did. I just asked him and he said it was fine, he didn't notice any issues. Keeping in mind that we just had backless boosters in there, no carseats, though we did have 3 people riding back there at times.

niccig

I'll look into those cars.

The seat belt set up of the Rav4 seemed crazy to me. Our 13 yo cousin and I hoped in the back seat, the center seatbelt came out from behind me (driver outboard) and my seatbelt buckled half into his position. So we were both sitting on each other's seatbelt. I want the car to fit DS in carseat and 2 passengers, and the Rav4 won't do it to my liking. It must be safe, otherwise it wouldn't pass testing for 3 people in the back - but I didn't like it.

Nicci

etoilech

We rented a 2008 Rav4 we had a Marathon and a Roundabout in it and it was nearly impossible for me to sit in the middle and get the safety belt on. I am pretty small (5'2" and about 105lbs.). I am not sure you'd really be able to get three across in the Rav4.

TXAggieTech

My mom has a ford escape and I think it is pretty close in size. She has 5 people in hers quite often, or at least 4 and a car seat. People seem to have a hard time buckling their seat belts in it but DH and I don't. I think it is just her friends.....

Niea

The new CR-Vs also have 3 sets of LATCH in the back. I haven't had a need for 3 across but in theory it should be possible.

mklanger

We have a vue and love it! It has 3 sets of latch in the back, so you could have 3 car seats...might be a tight squeeze, but you could if you had too. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC