in need of a carseat!

Misty-Bug

There is this lady I ran across on this site called FreeCycle. Basically people who don't want or need something they post it on there to give away. Also if you are in need of something you can post that it is wanted.
I saw a post for a rear facing car seat. I took my chances and read it. She has a 5 month old who is 20lbs already. She needs a car seat to fit this child. My husband does not want to give away our spare seat, who can blame him really? LOL. But I went out on a limb and told her about the scerena and the radian. She said that she does not have the money for either.
now here is my question: is there anything in canada that helps parents that can't afford a seat? I know there is the Kyle David Miller Foundation but I think that is in the states only. I would really hate her to get a seat off of there cause she wouldn't know the history of the seat. Plus who knows when it would expire.
I am gonna talk to my husband about our spare seat. But I think he thinks we shouldn't be giving up our seat. But the thing is that Cooper will not fit in it rear facing and he is not going FFing yet. Anyone with any help for this lady?

Last edited:
ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
There are no programs that I know of.

The KDM foundation was doing a pilot project here, but I don't know what's happening with that. It couldn't hurt to try.

The Scenera's have gone down to $70 at Walmart now.

As for your spare seat... Cooper will no longer fit in it period... unless you plan to use it as a spare RFing seat.

Once he's outgrown it RFing, he will basically have outgrown it FFing as well (one of the reason's it's not our favourite). The booster mode on it is not very good and is generally recommended to not use it in booster mode. It will also expire before he's ready to use it as a booster since you plan to keep him harnessed. Is that enough to convince him? Maybe ask her what she can afford and work out a deal to sell the AOE.

Personally, I've usually given away my seats rather than sell them. I figure I already bought it so it's lost money and I generally know someone who needs a seat and can't afford one and that gets me right there. ;)

Misty-Bug

thanks. We will see if he goes for that. He knows I want the radian as a spare anyway

ETA
oh and that is the thing. He wanted to use it for the second child like we did for Cooper. But if I get a spare seat then I can just use the radian. The only thing that concerns me is that the radian may not fit RFing outboard for the second kid when the AOE does. I guess I could put Cooper outboard right? and the baby in the middle? Worst case scenario

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yes, you could put Cooper outboard and the baby in the middle. It's generally easier to load them in the car that way.

Best practice would be to have the FFing child in the center, but it's definitely *not* unsafe to have him outboard. :)

Misty-Bug

so I talked to phil. He said to sell the seat to her for $50. Cause we need the money for rent and she said that she would be able to afford that much for a seat. So we will give her the AOE for $50, he said no to giving it away, cause we could use it for the second child. But if I get $50 for it then that is fine. I can install it tonight for her even. I am waiting to hear back from her

Misty-Bug

she is gonna talk to her husband and may come out monday
she has two older kids, a 16 year old and a 15 year old. So we will see but hey! I get another radian. LOL. you are gonna have to help me install that again.
is it odd that I am afraid to take the Radian out of my car? Risk of not being able to get it in well again. LOL

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
she is gonna talk to her husband and may come out monday
she has two older kids, a 16 year old and a 15 year old. So we will see but hey! I get another radian. LOL. you are gonna have to help me install that again.
is it odd that I am afraid to take the Radian out of my car? Risk of not being able to get it in well again. LOL

It gets easier and easier every time you do it. You'll be a pro in no time. ;)

canadianmom2three

I think what you are doing is a really really great thing, please don't take this the wrong way, but not everyone on freecycle can't afford things that they are asking for....When I responded to the freecycle ad about the guy looking for 3 boosters, I told him I couldn't give them, but I would loan them, the guy showed up in a lincon, and not an old one by any means. He was dressed to the nines and did not seem the least needy....I don't for a minute believe that he couldn't have gone out and bought the boosters, but he thought he could get them for free. I gave away a booster a long while ago to a family I 'thought' couldn't afford one, only to find out they own more computers then we do TV's, and mom has a whole room devoted to all her scrapbooking supplies...they just choose their priorities of where to spend money differently:rolleyes:
That said, it may totally be the case that the lady you are helping is really and truely in a situation where she can't afford a seat, and for sure it is very risky for her to be getting one off freecycle, I would just hate to see you taken advantage of when you are doing such a great thing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC