Brooke Marathon ever available in Canada?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
There's an EBay auction for a Brooke Marathon and they say they ship to Canada. I asked if it had the CMVSS stickers on it so it could legally be used in Canada, and the seller said yes (and posted the question/answer on their auction).

Was the Marathon ever available with the Brooke cover in Canada? And doesn't it seem strange that a new seat shipping from the U.S.A. would have the Canadian stickers? They say they ship to the U.S. and Canada, and Britax doesn't put 2 sets of stickers on their seats, do they?

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think the seller may not know Canadian laws are different when it comes to car seats. You could ask them to take a pic of all the stickers for you. :twocents:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I think the seller may not know Canadian laws are different when it comes to car seats. You could ask them to take a pic of all the stickers for you. :twocents:
The thing is, I asked them if the CMVSS stickers were on it, and they replied with "yes CMVSS 213". Maybe they are confusing it with FMVSS? I emailed and asked for pics and also if the sticker has the red maple leaf.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I haven't seen the Brooke cover here.

It's also possible they have a Canadian seat with a US cover on it... but I highly doubt it. More than likely they've made a mistake with CMVSS.

I agree that you should get a picture of the CMVSS sticker.

BudgieStew

I have my doubts that a U.S seller has a Canadian seat.

I don't recall ever seeing a Canadian Brooke Marathon (its a Target Exclusive no?) but I could be surprised since they have started to sell the Platinum Marathon here and its a TRU/BRU exclusive in the U.S. As well as the Sunburst Couture cover.When Couture covers were previously not available here.

You know its funny all my covers except my Ashley Floral are U.S covers with just English on them but my Erin cover has English/Spanish AND French on it..wonder if they had planned at one time to sell that cover on Canadian seats.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I still haven't got a response when I asked for pictures and confirmation that the stickers have the maple leaf, but I got an answer to the DOM. I was June '06 (can't remember exact date), and the seller said it was recalled and a "part" was replaced. Apparently the part replaced was a "hook that will probably never get used". The seat is brand new, so I have no idea why the seller didn't use it, or when the seller actually bought it.

So, were the Brookes made for Canada in June '06? I'm thinking no?

And, what part would be important enough to do a recall on that part, but the part wouldn't ever be used?? My guess is, the part IS needed at some time or another! Anyone know what parts of a Britax were recalled from the June '06 DOM?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It must be a Marathon affected by the top tether recall in the U.S., details here: http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/advisory/notice/5fdwhc.pdf

Definitely not a Canadian seat as only U.S. Marathons in the specified DOM range were recalled to the best of my knowledge, and Brooke models were brand spanking new and barely hitting the Target store shelves in the U.S. in June of 2006. :twocents: I don't think a Brooke display model even showed up at my local Target until late July or August of last year.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Anyone know what parts of a Britax were recalled from the June '06 DOM?

Yep it is the tether hook that doesn't perform properly when the child weighs more then 50lbs, you can read about it here. I would assume this is not a Canadian seat as the Canadian seats weren't recalled since they had a max. weight limit of 48lbs.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks. Obviously this person knows nothing about safety restraints. They didn't even know it was the tether anchor and assumed it would never be used. I think I can safely say that this seat is 100% U.S. What sucks now, is that they have my question answered on their auction which states that the seat has CMVSS 213 stickers on it. So, if an unsuspecting Canadian wins the auction, this seat may end up at customs and never make it here, or if they get it, they will be using an illegal seat and might not realize it. :(

BudgieStew

Can you reply saying that based on that information that it is NOT a Canadian seat and should not be sold to a Canadian as it would incur major hassles for both the buyer and seller.

What seller wants hassles none right?

I mean it might slip through but make it seem like it will cause a big thing at the border and see if she will add the correct information

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes, I can definitely do that. I am going to give the seller the rest of the day to get back to me on the stickers question (and request for pics of the stickers) as my hope is that they will discover that the seat is not certified for Canada. Then it will be easy to tell them not to sell it to a Canadian if they already realize it!

If I don't hear back by later today, I'll send a a note before I head to bed tonight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC