Radian vs Regent musings and question

ZephyrBlue

My 7.5yo rides in a Regent 90% of the time and a booster occasionally. Her 4.5yo sister rides in a Radian 95% of the time and in a CarGo for about 45 minutes per week. I wanted to see how well my older DD fit in the Radian and had her ride in it for about 20 minutes the other day. We had literally driven about 2 blocks and she started saying, "Mom! This harness is choking me! The straps are cutting my neck! Pull over and let me get in my own seat!" Now, this is NOT my drama-child. That would be the 4.5yo. But she was so obviously bugged by the fit of the Radian on her neck. My other DD doesn't have a problem with it at all.

For those of you with both, which do your kids prefer, comfort-wise?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We don't have the Regent here. I can tell you that DS1 prefers the Radian over the Marathon because of the extra shoulder room. He has never complained about the chest clip.

I'd really like to see/try out a Regent... that would be fun. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Same story here! My 6-7 yo DD was absolutely beyond miserable in the RN because of the harness (probably the chest clip)...Leah's almost 2 and it's no problem. I should put it in FF and stick my now-8 yo in it with the prototype style (ie, britax) chest clip and see if it's still so bad...

vamom

I have a husky and a radian. Ds (5) has only comlained about the crotch strap in the radian. He loves his husky. I put the radian in the car to do 3 across last week (which actually worked - 3 ff in a pruis). Anyway, I took the other two evenflo seats out and just left the radian in the middle. It was kind of nice having the backseat back a bit, but then a few minutes down the road, I noticed ds leaning. For some reason, the radian will not sit square in the middle and the seat belt releases more belt to it and it works itself loose. I tried several times to fix it, and just gave up. I did not bother with side installs, I just ut the husky back in the middle, where it installs rock solid.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

My 9 yr old has never complained about the straps on the Radian and neither has my 2.5 yr old. I'd love to have a Regent to try out. Maybe someday. :rolleyes:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, this should be helpful...

Me: "DD, which of your two carseats do you like best, the black one (Radian) or the blue one (Husky)?"

DD: "Wellllll... the fairy one! (TB)"

Me: "No, not that one - which one's more comfortable?"

DD: "Oh, the fairy one!"

Me: *sigh* "Okay, but between the black and the blue, which is your favorite?"

DD: "I don't like black very much."

Me: *pulls out hair* "Macha! Which is more comfortable, the black one or the blue one???"

DD: "Oh, the black one!"

So, there's a vote for the Radian. Unless, of course, the Regent in question is in FAIRIES, in which case comfort goes right out the window in favor of style. :rolleyes:

Now I'm going to have to see about getting her new covers for C-mas or something.

Splash

Well... I put a Radian in my car for the weekend because I needed something smaller. Charlie SCREAMED a good part of the way there and back (about 1.5 hours each way). He slept half way, was content sometimes, but was VERY uncharacteristically unhappy. I don't know if it was the seat, or the situation, or both.... but it doesn't even LOOK comfortable... I should have put his BV in instead. And I ended up not even needing to put two people in the back. But he loooooves his Regent.

lovinwaves

Both of my kids did the same thing on their maiden voyage in the new Radians. This comes from two kids who have never made a peep about their carseats before. This is what I did...

Moved the chest piece down, and folded their shirt over the harness straps near their neck(they tear the shoulder pads off immediately and toss them around the van). Then I told them they will get use to it LOL!

That haven't complained since. I think it is something that takes some getting use to as well. But, moving the chest piece down really helped alot. I thought about putting a Britax chestpiece on there, but now it is not necessary :)

waterbaby

Comfort-wise, I personally prefer to see my kids in the Regent. I've had my 4.5 and almost 3 year old in Radians for almost two weeks of traveling, and I can't count the number of times DH or I has had to climb in the back of the van and scoop their heads up because they were slumped forward. Or how many times my 4.5 year old has complained about her bum hurting. No complaints about the chest clip or harness, but I swapped the original clips for Britax ones and put the longer crotch strap on both. Haven't had any issues re: folding straps and buckle tongues, but I can see how it'd be a problem for some.

I much prefer the Regent, but no way am I traveling with one of those. All that said, I ordered CARES harnesses for the trip home and we're shipping the Radians home. ;)

musicmaj

None of my kids complain about the radian harness because I place the chest clip a bit lower than you are actually supposed to. It gives them a little more room at the neck.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We're no help, but I'll answer anyway :p We only have the Husky ... but at Lifesavers, Leila liked that the Radian was "snuggly" (meaning not so wide yet also low profile enough for her to crisscross her legs) & her favorite was the Safeguard Childseat: best of both worlds apparently -- too bad I'm never spending that much on a seat, at least not this close to the stage of booster use :eek:

P.S. she adores her Husky: cushiony, free to move her legs, decent head support (with the aid of a blankey) :love: She would be really ticked off if I got rid of her beloved Husky, especially since I finally got her the animal print cover!

mommy2env

We only have the Regent. :D

The Radian, does not look comfortable. That chest clip is just too small. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC