Do you ALWAYS buckle in...

Mama2J

even if you're not going anywhere (e.g. moving the car out of the driveway, etc.)?

I do, so I was really surprised when we were moving the car (he insisted on coming with me), that he said, "we'll only be a minute so I don't need to be buckled in." He wanted to sit next to his carseat without anything. I have no idea why he would have thought to say that, as he has never been in a moving vehicle without being buckled in. I buckle my seatbelt too anytime the car will be moving.

I told him, "yes we do need to buckle in. It doesn't matter how long we'll be."

ADS

Melizerd

If I'm moving the car from one spot to the other in the driveway or from the driveway to the street I don't always but I wouldn't put my son in the car with me.

kater-tot82

I do, 99.9% of the time. The only time I don't is when DD and I are coming home from work/school; we stop and pick up the mail (we live in a rural area so we have a box across from our house). I pull into the driveway, unbuckle and walk across the road to get the mail, and when I get in I don't re-buckle to pull the few remaining feet up the driveway into the garage. DD is always still buckled into her car seat though...I guess I feel that I'm pretty safe for 10 feet in a rural driveway:shrug-shoulders:

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Not if I'm moving the car in/out of the driveway. And not on my parents dirt road. C doesn't always buckle up then either. Otherwise we always buckle up. Even to go across a parking lot. No matter how big or small the parking lot may be.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
From my mail up my driveway to my house, sometimes not, though often yes since it takes concentration NOT to buckle. From my house to my neighbor's, if for some reason I know I'm only going there (about double the distance from my garage to my mailbox, not far, I'm rarely even in gear). For any parking lot, yes. For a road, yes. So basically unless we're in a driveway it's not even an option.

Wendy

Elizasmom

A woman in my friend's play group was almost killed (she was touch and go for a while) backing out of the driveway from playgroup w/o a belt. Someone came out to tell her something as she was pulling away. She opened the door to speak to the person, leaned out a little, and accidently hit the gas pedal full speed into reverse. She was thrown from the car and almost died. Her children were fine in their seats.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Absolutely. Every ride, every time, even if it's ten feet moving the car in our own parking area.

:yeahthat: Buckling the seatbelt is such an automatic reflex thing for me. I buckle up even if I intend to just move the car out of the garage to park on the driveway, or move the car around on the driveway.

bethng

If I have to back the van off the cement to the gravel (about 15ft) so the kids can ride their bikes or something I dont buckle.

Wineaux

I almost always do. I always buckle up in my personal vehicle, but there are times when I am trying to move really fast at work (I drive a Cintas delivery truck.) that I don't think about it until I'm either on the move, or arrive at my next stop. Many of my stops are in the same strip mall as others are, so I rarely re-buckle up when travelling in the same parking lot.

InTheWoods

I do. Just the rule in our household: buckle up if the vehicle's going to move. Distance doesn't matter.

Our mailbox is also down the road. After getting the mail I buckle up for the short drive to the house. I'm just so aware of the kids in the back seat and setting an example for them. And even when they're not there, if I chose not to buckle, I'd wonder if this is the day some turkey is going to come speeding down the hill (single-lane road we live on) as I'm driving up, head-on w/o a seat belt. No thanks.

Kristin

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
If the truck is moving, everyone must be buckled in correctly if I am driving. DH likes to drive DD around the yard in his 1960 something Dodge truck and let her drive. I don't approve, but know it is safer to have her "driving" that around the yard than one of our other Dodges with airbags.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I do, unless I'm moving a couple of metres in my driveway (that's far away from the road LOL). But if I'm moving it from the driveway to the road just outside the drive then I definitely buckle up - knowing my luck I'd just get out the driveway and someone would hit me :p

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
99.99999% of the time I do. The other night I actually felt silly because I had parked, got out of the truck, decided I'd give my neighbor a bit more space, got back in the truck and after a very brief debate in my head buckled up to back out of my stall and pull forward again. LOL.

Morganthe

Mmmmm, I'd say about 99% of the time.
That leaves 1% for those times like 4:30am set-up for garage sale when I pull my car out of the driveway to park about 10 feet up the curb.
Or when I have to move my car from a mechanic's waiting spot into the stall.
Or after I've unbuckled my belt to reach the carwash controls and I drive the 5 feet into the wash before the green light resets.

Other than those odd little situations, it's 100% automatic compliance. :thumbsup:

Mama2J

Well, I'm probably 99.99% too. If I'm alone in the car, it's possible I may move it from one place in the driveway to another without putting on my seatbelt. But I'm not even sure about that, just because it is so automatic for me to buckle.

But when J is in the car with me, we are both buckled. At his age, I feel I need to set that example for him. If there is an exception once, with his personality it would start becoming a struggle and this is one of the few areas in life that he usually does not fight.

He actually did not fight it that day, just questioned it I guess. This was at someone else's house, and I was moving the car from the street to a second driveway, because the street had only a small shoulder to park on and it was a busy street. He wouldn't stay in the house without me because he didn't know the people well.

amy919

Always, but mostly because it's out of habit. I never put in the car in drive or reverse without putting my seatbelt on first. It's just an automatic thing that I never even think about.

The other day, Matt was backing my car up about 5 feet IN the driveway to make room to open the garage door and take some things out. We were all outside and Teagan started throwing a fit that she wanted to help. Matt let her and Kaylie totally freaked out. Kaylie refused to even get in the car. Tea sat on Matt's lap while he backed the car up. Mind you, he never left the driveway. I wasn't so keen on it myself, but Kaylie was furious with him. He got a 15 minute lecture from her, so I let it go. She was far more effective than I would have been :rolleyes:.

beeman

The only time I let it slip is when I'm driving around the farmyard, or moving the truck in a bee yard. Other than that it's always on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC