Britax Marathon ?s

tiger926

1. My hubby and I were very excited to see that our daughter still seems to have room to grow in the Marathon because according to the manual, she has outgrown the seat, once her shoulders are at the top of seat - ears at top, is what I believe it says. I just did a search though on old posts, and discovered that this is incorrect. Huh? My Marathon has a DOM of July '07, it's still the 48lb limit one, but the manual is new - can someone please help me understand this? Because my daughter has a long torso, she will more than likely outgrow this before the 47" then. Help!!!

2. According to Baby Proofing Plus, the new 65lb. Marathons go up to 49" and 65lbs, as well as rr to 33lbs. My 48lb seat says: 47" and 30lbs. I didn't realize the new seats had changed - is this correct? This is posted on Britax website, but I want to make sure that it's correct, and that Baby Proofing Plus didn't just copy and past, as I find their website is really good.

If anyone can help me with these concerns, especially #1, I would more than appreciate it as I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight as we have had major car seat issues here this week.

Thanks so much, Tiger :confused:

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Marathon only goes to 30lbs here. Babyproofingplus (like most of the other retailers) just copy and paste their info from the US website. :(

The seat is outgrown when *1* of three things happen...
1. Weight limit is exceeded
2. Shoulders go above top slots
3. Tips of the ears go above the shell of the carseat

If *any* of those happen, the seat is outgrown.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Many websites just put the info that is from the manufactureres site which is often the US limits. The Canadian MA only goes to 30lb rf.

Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use the restraint until the top of the ears become level with the top of the restraint shell or child’s weight exceeds 65 pounds. Also once the shoulders go over the top slots the seat is outgrown.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Many websites just put the info that is from the manufactureres site which is often the US limits. The Canadian MA only goes to 30lb rf.

Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use the restraint until the top of the ears become level with the top of the restraint shell or child’s weight exceeds 65 pounds.

That's what the manual reads (in one spot), but if you call Britax for clarification... Straps must be *at or above* when FFing... this is specified in another area of the manual as well. They don't make it very clear, but the rule I posted above still applies for determining if they've outgrown the seat. Shoulders are *not* allowed to go above the top slots.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
That's what the manual reads (in one spot), but if you call Britax for clarification... Straps must be *at or above* when FFing... this is specified in another area of the manual as well. They don't make it very clear, but the rule I posted above still applies for determining if they've outgrown the seat. Shoulders are *not* allowed to go above the top slots.

Oops, I meant to add that and yes that is what the manual says ;)

You have a USA model... the Canadian models only go to 30lbs and just recently had their FFing limits increased from 48lbs to 65lbs.

Oh ok, thank you for that. I guess here in NZ the whole country has the same limits/rules etc. I didnt know there was a difference on Britax products. I know there are on some others.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Oh ok, thank you for that. I guess here in NZ the whole country has the same limits/rules etc. I didnt know there was a difference on Britax products. I know there are on some others.

Really they are the same seat. It's just that Canada has different regulations than the USA does... different countries.

tiger926

Good morning - thanks for clarifying. I remebered last night as I was going to sleep that our rr limits were 30lbs, so sorry for bothering with that.

1. In regards to outgrowing seat, I am not impressed with that info. I am going to re-read through the entire manual again, but this info about ears to tips of seat seems very confusing. In my daughter's case, her shoulders will be over the tips, before her ears are at top of seat, and that is a big deal. This is very confusing - now I remember why we were confused before and didn't buy her the Marathon in the first place. If it was solely based on ears to top of seat, she has a ton of room, but since you are saying the shoulders not being above the slots supercedes that, then she doesn't have tons of room. I am very confused as to why the manual has the ears at tip statement, but shoulders can't go above? I can't seem to find this in the manual anywhere, so how are customers supposed to know this? As an English teacher, the actual wording is pretty specific to me: Harness near or at shoulders, with an IMPORTANT note at bottom about allowing child's tips of ears to top of seat. An IMPORTANT note means that this info is more important than any other on that page - why then, have they worded it this way? I totally trust you techs, but I am approaching this from the angle of a parent - how in the world are parents going to use the seat properly with wordings such as this? How are we as parents supposed to know about shoulders not going over when it's not mentioned in manual (if it is, I apologize, but I can't find it)?

2. Also, does this seat go to 49" like Baby Proofing website says, or is it still 47" like my manual says?

I am also going to email Baby Proofing Plus since they claim they sell more Britax seats than anyone in Canada, then they should know the laws off by heart, and should know that they have incorrect info on their website!

Thanks so much, Tiger

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I am going to re-read through the entire manual again, but this info about ears to tips of seat seems very confusing. In my daughter's case, her shoulders will be over the tips, before her ears are at top of seat, and that is a big deal. This is very confusing - now I remember why we were confused before and didn't buy her the Marathon in the first place. If it was solely based on ears to top of seat, she has a ton of room, but since you are saying the shoulders not being above the slots supercedes that, then she doesn't have tons of room. I am very confused as to why the manual has the ears at tip statement, but shoulders can't go above?

2. Also, does this seat go to 49" like Baby Proofing website says, or is it still 47" like my manual says?
Do you mean her shoulders will be above the top slots before her ears reach the top of the seat?

Really the 47" and 49" are just guidelines. The seat is outgrown when the weight limit is reached, the ears reach the top of the seat or the shoulder go above the top slots. You want the shoulders below the top slots so that the harness straps hold your DD back and in her seat in a collision and to prevent spinal compression. If they come from below her shoulders it she will still have more forward movement because of more strap and the potential of spinal compression.

Can you maybe post a picture of your DD in the seat so we can see what you are seeing? You can cover her for privacy reason (I usually do in public forums), I would just like to see her shoulders and ears in relation to the seat.

Pg 30 in the manual:
Forward-Facing Strap Height: Harness straps should be
located in the nearest slot at or above the child’s shoulder.

tiger926

Do you mean her shoulders will be above the top slots before her ears reach the top of the seat?

Really the 47" and 49" are just guidelines. The seat is outgrown when the weight limit is reached, the ears reach the top of the seat or the shoulder go above the top slots. You want the shoulders below the top slots so that the harness straps hold your DD back and in her seat in a collision and to prevent spinal compression. If they come from below her shoulders it she will still have more forward movement because of more strap and the potential of spinal compression.

Can you maybe post a picture of your DD in the seat so we can see what you are seeing? You can cover her for privacy reason (I usually do in public forums), I would just like to see her shoulders and ears in relation to the seat.

Pg 30 in the manual:

Thanks for posting from the manual - I got that, and my husband and I still feel that it is conflicting info since the bottom of that same page has the IMPORTANT note about ears being able to go to top of seat. I did notice that the child in the graphic has ears to top of seat, and shoulders are right below top slot. Like I said, when we tried her in it last night, we could totally see that there is more room until her ears are at top of seat, then there will be from when her shoulders are above slots - that's why I am confused?

I didn't take a photo of my daughter as seat wasn't installed in car - we tried it in family room, as my hubby has to remove Radian and then install Marathon. He is doing that now, but I won't be able to take a photo until tonight as daughter is at school all day.

I will take a photo of her shoulders, and her head as that will be best for you to check height, right?

I so appreciate everyone's help on this. We want to make sure that everything is set - we don't have many car seat clinics here in my city, and when we do, they are run by police officers and firefighters, and I've heard some bad info that my friends have heard from going to these clinics, so we don't go. My hubby is very good at installing seats as he does it for everyone we know. We actually thoroughly read the manuals and spend lots of time on the Internet, especially this board.

Thanks so much - more to follow, Tiger

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Don't think of it as conflicting info, think of it as complimentary info.

Shoulders can not go over the top slots due to spinal compression as Julie noted.

Tips of ears can not go over the shell of the carseat because we want to prevent spinal injuries as well. The back of the head needs to be supported by the carseat so that it won't whip over the seat and cause injuries... therefore tips of the ears can not go over the shell so that the head is adequately protected.

Although the manual is not super clear, the info is all there... which is why it's so important to read the entire manual. :)

tiger926

Don't think of it as conflicting info, think of it as complimentary info.

Shoulders can not go over the top slots due to spinal compression as Julie noted.

Tips of ears can not go over the shell of the carseat because we want to prevent spinal injuries as well. The back of the head needs to be supported by the carseat so that it won't whip over the seat and cause injuries... therefore tips of the ears can not go over the shell so that the head is adequately protected.

Although the manual is not super clear, the info is all there... which is why it's so important to read the entire manual. :)

You all know best as you are techs, but, I don't feel the info is complimentary at all. Like I said, there is much more room to go before my daughter's ears at top of seat, then there is before her shoulders are over the slots; therefore, if we follow the IMPORTANT note at bottom of page in manual, she has lots of room to go before her ears at top of seat, KWIM?

I will post the photos tonight - maybe this will be different once she sits in the actual installed seat in my van, as we did this last night on family room floor. Hopefully it's all clearer once she gets in seat, and I take some photos to show you.

Incidentally, I have read through the entire manual 2x, and I still find the info conflicting. I totally understand the spinal compression thing, but what if a child has a short neck, and so his/her shoulders may be over the top slots, but the ears are still going to be below the top of seat. This is what it looks like is happening on our end - she has not too much space to go before her shoulders are over top slots, but looks like she has a ton of room to go before her ears at top of seat.

Has no one else seen this before in your inspections? My hubby and I feel like we are weirdos or something, but this is exactly what we noticed last night. And I'm sorry, but the manual does not say that shoulders should not go above the top slots at all, and it really should!! What if other parents are not understanding this part of the manual like we apparently have?

Thanks so much for helping me, Tiger :confused:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I do find that most carseat manuals are not extremely clear on this but if the shoulders are above the top slots it is outgrown. It is usually in the manual somewhere although it isn't always in the same area of the manual.

The criteria for outgrowing a seat (as mentioned before) is:
*shoulders above top harness slots
*ears at the top of the seat
*weight limit reached
As soon as one of these is reached, then the seat is outgrown.

I understand what you are saying by her shoulders being at the top slot but her ears not reaching the top of the seat, no you are not weirdos or anything like that if this does happen. My son outgrew his Graco Comfortsport because his shoulders were above the top slots even though his ears were under the top of the seat. I guess it is just something that happens.

Spinal compression doesn't just happen from the head being above the top of the seat shell, it also happens when the harness straps come from below the shoulders because they come up and over so in a collision they can pull down causing spinal compression.

tiger926

I do find that most carseat manuals are not extremely clear on this but if the shoulders are above the top slots it is outgrown. It is usually in the manual somewhere although it isn't always in the same area of the manual.

The criteria for outgrowing a seat (as mentioned before) is:
*shoulders above top harness slots
*ears at the top of the seat
*weight limit reached
As soon as one of these is reached, then the seat is outgrown.

I understand what you are saying by her shoulders being at the top slot but her ears not reaching the top of the seat, no you are not weirdos or anything like that if this does happen. My son outgrew his Graco Comfortsport because his shoulders were above the top slots even though his ears were under the top of the seat. I guess it is just something that happens.

Spinal compression doesn't just happen from the head being above the top of the seat shell, it also happens when the harness straps come from below the shoulders because they come up and over so in a collision they can pull down causing spinal compression.

Thanks. This really bugs me as an English teacher, because if the manual is so important to read, then they should really make sure that it's clear and concise - if I've had trouble deciphering what is there, then I have to imagine that almost all other parents will as well.

They need to be absolutely clear in how a child outgrows this seat. How about:

"All children will outgrow this seat once their shoulders are above top slots. As well, as long as child is under 65lbs and 47", and child's shoulders are never above the top slots, tips of child's ears may reach to top of car seat."

My hubby loved installing the seat though as he said it was great to install. I'll see how my daughter likes it when I pick her up this afternoon.

Thanks again, Tiger

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Pg 30 in the manual:

This right here tells you that you can not use the seat once the shoulders go above the top slots.

The important warning at the bottom of that page is *in addition* to the original rule. It does *not* replace it.

The height limits listed are *guidelines*. They are there for people that don't read all of their manuals as a general idea of when the seat will be outgrown. It doesn't mean you can not use the seat if they are 52"... as long as their ears are below the top of the shell and their shoulders are below the top slots, the seat is safe.

tiger926

Pg 30 in the manual:

This right here tells you that you can not use the seat once the shoulders go above the top slots.

The important warning at the bottom of that page is *in addition* to the original rule. It does *not* replace it.

The height limits listed are *guidelines*. They are there for people that don't read all of their manuals as a general idea of when the seat will be outgrown. It doesn't mean you can not use the seat if they are 52"... as long as their ears are below the top of the shell and their shoulders are below the top slots, the seat is safe.

I didn't realize that height limits were just guidelines - so, if a child's ears are below the shoulders, yet he/she is above the max. height, he/she can still use seat? Again, how in the world are parents supposed to know this stuff? I didn't realize that until I just saw re-read Jewels outgrown car seat criteria. Are these points listed in every car seat manual?

As an English teacher, I always teach my students to not assume that people can understand their lingo, so for very important things like instruction manuals for instance, it should be very clear & concise, and that wording on pg. 30, in our opinion, is not. It may be very clear to you, because you are a tech, but to most parents out there, the lingo needs to be more clear. The word 'should' implies there is leeway, whereas the word 'must' would imply there is not, KWIM?

I am not trying to argue at all, but just trying to make my point that there are probably lots of confused parents out there based on these statements in the manual. By not saying that harness straps 'must' be located, or shoulders should 'never' go past top slot, it is leaving it open to interpretation and then when you add in the additional IMPORTANT info down below, it makes for a situation in which the safety of a child's life may be in danger.

I thank you all for better explaining this to my hubby and I - we are grateful for this board, as it alerted us to our short-strapped Radian issue, as well as just helped us understand when our daughter will have outgrown her Marathon seat, but the amount of parents who actually frequent this board, is small, and that is what worries me about loosely or confusingly worded car seat manuals - safety is on the line, so use more clearer words in the manual as it can only help the situation, KWIM?

Thanks, Tiger

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC