Question about gaining weight

RJB78

CPST Instructor
So I ordered a SafeStop from SK because apparently either my Radian didn't come with one or I've lost it in the past year (never needed it until now). I get an email today saying it's backordered and won't be shipped for another 5-6 weeks. Grr.

My problem is that dd2 is hovering around 32 lbs. I need it before I can turn her ff. On average, how long does it take a child to gain one lb? For us, the year between 12 and 24 months was the slowest gain. Now that she's 24 months, will weight gain start to pick back up? I'm just hoping that she's stays within the 33 lb weight rf limit until I get the SafeStop.

ADS

SPJ&E

Well...Pacey was 27 lbs. at 2 years old and hit 28 lbs. at about 2.5 years old. He goes back and forth between 28 and 29 lbs. now at almost 3 years old (on 12/9).

I think it really depends on the kiddo...they all grow SO differently!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Dd had a major growth spurt over the summer - went through almost 2 sizes of pants length wise... and she gained a total of about 1.5 to 2lbs. She was just 29.5 to 30lbs fully clothed at her 3yr check up & had been holding steady there since May. When she was weighed last week fully clothed she's 31.5lbs. So even with all that growing, it's still taken her since May to gain 2lbs.

But like was said already... different kids gain differently. I think it's pretty common around this age to hover at the same weight for a good while, and then all the sudden gain a few lbs. Hopefully you can get a couple more months.

crunchierthanthou

You can turn her ff and not tether it.The radian performs well without the top tether. It's not ideal, but better than using the seat rf past the approved weight.

ccjones

You can turn her ff and not tether it.The radian performs well without the top tether. It's not ideal, but better than using the seat rf past the approved weight.

Not true, crunchy! :D You CAN use the the Radian FF with the top tether and NO SafeStop. It's allowed, although the wording in the manual leaves much to be desired.

The original Radians manufactured in 2005 (I have one) did not come with SafeStops. It was an enhancement that SK added to the Radian sometime in 2006.

The wording in the manual is a little misleading because the point is that if you use the SafeStop, you MUST use the top tether.

However, you CAN use the top tether regardless of whether you use the SafeStop. After all, once a child reaches 40 lbs the SafeStop comes off, but you would still continue to use the top tether.

ETA: Remember, the SafeStop was added to give a little bit of extra protection. Since the Radian got awesome results for low head excursion in crash tests, they were able to add the SafeStop as an enhancement. The SafeStop function is to allow the harness to "give" a little bit (with top tether use) during a crash. This helps distribute the load of the crash over the body a little better, and also creates a little more head excursion so the neck won't snap back.

Not using the top tether on the Radian also creates a little more head excursion, so using the SafeStop and NO tether would create TOO much head excursion. But please don't feel that you're putting your DC in danger by using the top tether but NOT the SafeStop until your SafeStop arrives from SK.

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

I think it's clear-

ALWAYS use SafeStop with LATCH or Top tether with forward facing child below 40 lbs.
page 26

LATCH is Lower Anchors and Top Tether as a complete unit, so it's included there and calling it out by OR Top tether (which I take to mean without lower anchors) means every time to me.

Although you're right that the warnings in the ff seatbelt sections aren't as direct (the SafeStop is definitely not optional if you're using the lower anchors under 40 lbs). Those make it sound like it's not required, only that you should only use it if the seat is tethered and the child is less than 40 lbs.

ccjones

crunchierthanthou said:
ALWAYS use SafeStop with LATCH or Top tether with forward facing child below 40 lbs.
page 26

See crunchy, like you said, LATCH includes the top tether, so I read that quote as "you must use LATCH (because LATCH includes top tether) if you want to use the SafeStop."

If the SafeStop was indeed *required* for use with LATCH or top tether use with a seatbelt installation, then SK would have sent out SafeStops to those of us that have pre-SafeStop Radians. Similar to how they're replacing all the Canadian Safestops for not meeting Canadian head excursion standards.

If it was truly a requirement and they didn't send out the SafeStop to me, then I'd be thinking lawsuit if I was ever in an accident and my child was injured.... :whistle:

RJB78

CPST Instructor
So if I use the Radian ff without SS and tether (until mine comes), then it has to be with seatbelt installation, not LATCH? Am I understanding that correctly?

ccjones

So if I use the Radian ff without SS and tether (until mine comes), then it has to be with seatbelt installation, not LATCH? Am I understanding that correctly?

Hmmm... that's a good question. I've never heard of anyone just using the lower anchors without using the top tether for a FF LATCH installation. Obviously, you only use lower anchors for a RF installation, so I wonder....

If I were you, I would user lower anchors and top tether without SafeStop until your SafeStop arrives from SK. I would have to use the top tether if one was available, even without the SafeStop, just because of the benefits of using the top tether for head excursion.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
When using the lower anchors the top tether is *not required*... it is *strongly recommended* though.

Yes, LATCH stands for lower anchors and top tethers for children, but it is an acronym. Some vehicles (convertibles come to mind) have lower anchors but do *not* have a top tether... so that leads me (and others) to believe that it is not required to use a top tether with the lower anchors.

In Canada the LATCH system is actually called UAS which stands for Universal Anchorage System... the top tethers are not even specified in there, although a top tether is mandatory on all FFing seats here. Those same convertibles still do not have top tether anchors here either, which makes installing a FFing child restraint in those vehicles illegal here.

The Radian has excellent head excursion numbers without even using a top tether. The SafeStop was added to help reduce/increase (depending how you look at it) those numbers for lighter children.

If the SafeStop does not arrive in time, I would *not* top tether the seat... per the manual's current instructions. The manual does not specifically state *not* to use the top tether if you are *not* using the SafeStop, but it does imply that.

I would also install with the seatbelt instead of the lower anchors since I can't top tether. While it's not required to use the top tether with the lower anchors, it still makes me uncomfortable to not use the whole system together.

If you can't get a good seatbelt install, then I would probably make the parental decision to use the *entire* LATCH system even without a SafeStop until it gets here.

Okay, was that enough confusing options for you? ;)

ccjones

Trying to keep it simple, aidensmom?!? :D

My main beef with the SafeStop and the current Radian manuals is the fact that Radians never used to come with the SafeStop and still had awesome crash ratings and head excursion ratings without it (even while using the top tether).

If I never called SK to request a SafeStop for my 2005 Radian when I noticed that my 2006 Radian came with one, I still wouldn't have a SafeStop for my 2005 Radian. So, that's why I think the OP would be perfectly fine using both lower anchors and top tether without the SafeStop.

Where does the manual imply that you shouldn't use the top tether at all without the SafeStop? Remember, the old manuals used to say to use the SafeStop until 48lbs, and SK has since revised it to say 40lbs.

The wording on some topics in the Radian manual definitely leave you with more questions than answers!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The earlier quote of "always use safestop blah, blah, blah" :D

Since you must use the Safestop with kids under 40lbs when using a top tether, it can also imply that you can not use the top tether or LATCH when the child is under 40lbs and not using the Safestop.

We have no proof that the seat did not undergo some design change between safestop and no safestop seats (although I suspect they are the same seat), which means you really need to follow the directions that came *with* your seat.

She most likely would be fine with continuing to use the top tether without the safestop, but it would still be my last option. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC