Tall & thin: Regent or Radian65 or 80?

Maeve

We just got the Boulevard a year ago and now my son is less than 1/2" from outgrowing it. We need a new seat. What seat will accommodate a TALL but thin child? He's 42" and 38lbs, just turned 3yo.

I need two seats: one for our Odyssey van and one for my mother's Subuaru. She has a REALLY difficult time getting him strapped in tightly with the Boulevard. Because of that, I don't let him ride with her unless I'm able to strap him in.

I would really appreciate any advice, here are my questions:

Is one easier than another to get a tight, secure fit with the harness?

Which seat is best for tall, fast-growing kids?

Do I understand correctly that Britax is going to put out a new Regent or replacement? If so, when?

Is one considered safer than the other? More comfortable?

Thanks a bunch,
Maeve

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The 65 and 80 are the exact same seat...the 80 just has more expensive covers and an 80 on the label :)
It's not a particularly easy seat to adjust, but I find that since I put the long crotch strap on (you have to call them to get it, or maybe they sell it on their site again), I really don't have to tighten and loosen the straps much, and it's pretty easy to get my kiddo in and out of the seat without adjusting the harness.
We like our 65...the cover is nice, the padding is fine, my dd was happy riding in it till she was 7/48 pounds/49 inches tall. (now I use it RF for my 21 mo)
:thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, the Radian is a bit tough to adjust. I don't have a ton of experience with the Regent, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

The Regent with the new instructions does not work for a 40+ pound child in an Odyssey's captain's chair. Third row is fine, but not the second. However, the Radian installs beautifully. So maybe a Radian for you (definitely the 65, don't waste your money on the 80) and a Regent for your mom?

Wendy

Maeve

Thanks!

I'm trying to find info on the Regent - why doesn't it work in an Odyssey? I really LIKE the Regent!

Are they planning on replacing or updating the Regent any time soon?

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I was able to install a Regent in 2nd row bench yesterday with a little elbow grease. Haven't tried a Captain's chair, but the bench worked fine.

mom2riley

I would definitly go with a Regent for a tall child. It will keep him harness the longest. My DS stats are in my siggy and he fits very well into both, but he will definitly make it much longer in the Regent.

Maeve

I think I'm getting a Safeguard Child Seat for my mother's car, since it seems very easy to adjust the harness.

As for ours - I'll keep obsessing about it until I truly have to make a decision.

Thanks for the help!

Amaris

The regent installs great in a 2003 style odyssey in a middle row captains chair and outboard in the 3rd row. Unless someone has figured out a neat trick then it's pretty much impossible in the middle of the 3rd row!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC