Highchair suggestions

katiebug

Ok, we have the oh, so expensive Stokke & I think it's a great seat for babies that aren't self feeding or bigger toddlers that have the self feeding down, but it's not working for us right now.
I need something with a tray. I have a Fisher Price travel highchair which works pretty well, but I'd like to have something with a bigger tray for more surface area so maybe less food will end up on the floor.
Something that folds would be great.
Thanks!

ADS

amy919

Personally, I love the booster ones that attach right to a standard kitchen or dining room chair. We've used them for both girls exclusively. There are a ton to choose from - some are very bare bones, some recline, some have removeable washable covers, some have very plush soft covers, etc.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Less food will never end up on the floor, lol...get a dog :) (Just kidding, I promise, but Leah's no cleaner in her real chair than she is in her FP booster with the little tray).
I like the Boon Flair... it looks easy to clean... (Love our Chicco Polly, but it's rather a pain in the butt to clean, we used it from birth as the kitchen bouncy seat, so we've gotten our money out of it, for sure!).

Maybe that bigger FP space saver highchair that goes on a chair? Or really, just a cheapo cosco or kolcraft would be great... like $39 and those things are easy to clean! (can you tell that's my pet peeve today? I'm really tired of cleaning our Polly...yawn...)

mamaofthree

We did the whole big highchair thing with DD1- it took up a lot of space and it was a pain to clean. With the next two kids, we've just used a plastic booster with a tray that sits on a reg chair. It is super convenient, and a breeze to clean. We use the tray when they are younger, then pull them up to the table without it when they are self feeding and beyond the "throwing food everywhere" stage.

Honestly, I wouldn't do the FP spacesaver thing. It is big, and takes up as much room as a highchair, AND ties up a regular chair. At least the boosters can be pushed in near the table or easily removed (though there is usually food caked on the chair around it so no one would want to sit there anyway, lol).

This is the one we have:
http://www.target.com/Fisher-Price-...ie=UTF8&node=13774431&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

Kimberly

happyfrog

I bought a restaurant high chair (Lipper brand) from Amazon.com last year and it was the BEST purchase.

here's a link to the high chair (different site, though) http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/115310_high-chair-great-natural-finish.htm

It's really easy to clean and since I personally don't believe in feeding my kids - they figure it out themselves, it works well for us. it slides under the table a bit so the table itself is the tray.

honestly, though, you're going to have lots of food on the floor. that's just the way it is with kids unless you tie their arms and feed them (I actually have a friend who did that :eek: ).

We've thought about getting a dog, lol. We have cats and they're getting better about eating the 'good' scraps the kids drop, but they're kind of picky.

I used to have a fisher price high chair but that thing got food crud all over and was a pita to clean!!! the wood restaurant high chair is a dream! no hidden crevices and minimal parts. :)

just thought i'd put what we use out there. you'll figure out what's best for your family. . .

BettyAnn

skipspin

I have the FP chair and it's easy to clean for a high-chair. I got it because we just don't have room for a normal high-chair and DD used to push hers around the house when she was cruising which really got old fast.
With DD, once she was about 15/18 months we just used a toddler chair at the table- which worked really well. I suppose it would't work well if you have a more wiggly child that would try to climb out and end up falling.

I second the "get a dog" suggestion. I never pick up food off the floor at home and sometimes I even set the tray on the floor for a pre-cleaning.:whistle: I always amazes me how much food is on the floor when we eat out. DS usually leaves a $1 tip by the high-chair.:thumbsup:

ymherrera

I have a Peg Perego chair and a Fisher price Rainforest chair. I like them both, the tray is more secure on the peg than on the FP. Here are some pics:

DS in the Peg last weekend (10 months)
IMG_0463.jpg

DS in FP (4 or 5 months??)

100_0341.jpg

He fits well in both, the Peg is at our house and the FP at my mom's now.

jdchic3

I have the Polly for my DD and I don't really like it. It's nice and all, but it's a pain to clean and DD is really just getting comfortable in it. My plan is to get the Fisher-Price Aquarium high chair because you can machine wash the pad and that is a HUGE plus in my book!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I second the "get a dog" suggestion. I never pick up food off the floor at home and sometimes I even set the tray on the floor for a pre-cleaning.:whistle: I always amazes me how much food is on the floor when we eat out. DS usually leaves a $1 tip by the high-chair.:thumbsup:

So this man went to eat at a friend's house.... and he noticed the dishes seemed just a little less clean than you'd normally expect...so he mentioned it to the friend...and she said...oh, they are as clean as soap and water can get them.. so he kept eating, reassured they were fine. After dinner, she took the dishes to the kitchen and yelled out...

Here Soap! Here Water! And her dogs came running in :D

babychild taxi

Hi, I have a Graco Harmony for my little friend who comes to visit me. I like it, it's easy to use and adjustable if needed. My best friend also has one and her child is now 2 and the seat is still in good condition after lots of daily "wear and tear". There are also a few colour choices available-more in the US I believe (you're all so lucky!).

HTH

K.

"adopted auntie to many"
3 seats across in an Echo

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Hi, I have a Graco Harmony for my little friend who comes to visit me.

I also have the Graco Harmony and I used it with DS right from birth. Now we moved and have a much smaller kitchen and I am wishing I had a more compact highchair. Other then that I have no complaints about it.

If I were to pick now I would pick something like the Chicco, peg perego or the Graco contempo. Something that folds more compact and doesn't have such wide legs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC